Official PCF Smoker and BBQ Thread (2 Viewers)

Sorry no pics... I have an Oklahoma Joe offset that I've loved for the last year. First cook was two turkeys for Thanksgiving. Also ribs, pork shoulder, all sort of chicken parts.... and the one thing that has been my happiest surprise, hot-smoked salmon.

My wife doesn't eat pork, so on pork days when I pull the pork off for the one-hour rest, that's when I get the salmon ready. The secret here is I use the same rub on the salmon that I put on the ribs (just make sure there's no salt in the rub, only thing that ruins this is too much salt). Just a light dash of rib rub, set up on a soaked cedar board, and in the smoker at 270F until inner temp is 125F (doesn't take long). Best salmon I've ever had. When I host a "fancy" party I get a full slab of salmon set across 2-3 cedar boards and this presents as such a beautiful centerpiece. One of the easiest things I've ever cooked, but easily the most heralded. I've impressed my boss and in-laws with this one. They still talk about it months later :LOL: :laugh:.

But seriously, this takes almost no more effort to do once you've done the ribs, and it makes perfect pairing to go with your cornbread and beans and veggies.

Sorry no pics... I have an Oklahoma Joe offset that I've loved for the last year. First cook was two turkeys for Thanksgiving. Also ribs, pork shoulder, all sort of chicken parts.... and the one thing that has been my happiest surprise, hot-smoked salmon.

My wife doesn't eat pork, so on pork days when I pull the pork off for the one-hour rest, that's when I get the salmon ready. The secret here is I use the same rub on the salmon that I put on the ribs (just make sure there's no salt in the rub, only thing that ruins this is too much salt). Just a light dash of rib rub, set up on a soaked cedar board, and in the smoker at 270F until inner temp is 125F (doesn't take long). Best salmon I've ever had. When I host a "fancy" party I get a full slab of salmon set across 2-3 cedar boards and this presents as such a beautiful centerpiece. One of the easiest things I've ever cooked, but easily the most heralded. I've impressed my boss and in-laws with this one. They still talk about it months later :LOL: :laugh:.

But seriously, this takes almost no more effort to do once you've done the ribs, and it makes perfect pairing to go with your cornbread and beans and veggies.
We love smoked salmon right off the grill. My recipe is totally different but a light 1 hour smoke with hickory at about 225-240 cannot be beat. Cedar is something I might have to try.

Did you use a second cheese other than Velveeta? I know the Traeger/Meat Church recipe calls for Gouda, which isn’t my favorite, but I guess I’d use it unless someone had another option in mind. Not sure what other cheeses melt well for a dip/queso scenario.
Sorry, just saw this. Yes, I threw gouda in there but you can pretty much use any cheese that you want. Chedder, jack, etc would probably all work well.

Beef ribs and pork belly burnt ends going on the stickburner for a late dinner.

4B039E62-B97F-4672-94EA-58B84FBF816B.jpeg

752D62D2-72A7-465A-B4E3-F0F1D192F6A3.jpeg

The auger in my pellet smoker stopped feeding pellets to the fire box. Took it all apart today and moisture had gotten into the hopper and there was a jam at the bottom that wouldn't let any pellets feed the screw. About an hour later I had it all cleared out, fixed, reassembled, and reloaded. I'll smoke something this week and cross my fingers that today's simple fix was the only problem. Otherwise I'll be back and asking everybody which pellet smoker I should buy!

i've still never smoked a turkey, but i hear spatchcocking is the way to go so it cooks more evenly. it works well for chicken.

I do one every year, whether it’s the “main” turkey or a supplementary one. This year, I did a smaller 12 lb’er. The big bird was done traditionally in the oven.

I did spatchcock it. People talk about how it promotes faster and even cooking, which could all very well be true. But I mainly do it because it makes carving an absolute breeze. The entire leg/thigh quarter comes off with one simple slice, making for great presentation.

I also dry brined it with salt, pepper, and a couple different dry rubs for just over 24 hours (light coating of each, don’t want it caked on). That seemed to help with the skin’s final product.

About 2.5 hours on the WSM at 300-325 with pecan chunks. Pleased with it, the breast had a slight smoke ring. I think offering both smoked and roasted turkey is a great upgrade to your thanksgiving table.

D1EC5FB7-EB19-431A-9669-6037A4790090.jpeg

I do one every year, whether it’s the “main” turkey or a supplementary one. This year, I did a smaller 12 lb’er. The big bird was done traditionally in the oven.

I did spatchcock it. People talk about how it promotes faster and even cooking, which could all very well be true. But I mainly do it because it makes carving an absolute breeze. The entire leg/thigh quarter comes off with one simple slice, making for great presentation.

I also dry brined it with salt, pepper, and a couple different dry rubs for just over 24 hours (light coating of each, don’t want it caked on). That seemed to help with the skin’s final product.

About 2.5 hours on the WSM at 300-325 with pecan chunks. Pleased with it, the breast had a slight smoke ring. I think offering both smoked and roasted turkey is a great upgrade to your thanksgiving table.

View attachment 1030507

I am gonna be doing a Turkey this year for Christmas for the first time on my WSM. I will probably copy what you outlined here - Thanks!

I am gonna be doing a Turkey this year for Christmas for the first time on my WSM. I will probably copy what you outlined here - Thanks!

How big of a turkey? And do you have the 18" or 22"? Just be advised that this 12 lb. spatchcocked bird BARELY fit inside my 18" model where I was able to get the lid closed.

Any WSM, even the 18", will fit pretty much any size bird if it's cooked whole, but you'll run out of room real quick if you're trying to lay a big bird flat.

I don't use my WSM much anymore, but it was my first big BBQ/smoking purchase, and my biggest regret is not spending another hundred bucks, or whatever it was, to just get the bigger one.

How big of a turkey? And do you have the 18" or 22"? Just be advised that this 12 lb. spatchcocked bird BARELY fit inside my 18" model where I was able to get the lid closed.

Any WSM, even the 18", will fit pretty much any size bird if it's cooked whole, but you'll run out of room real quick if you're trying to lay a big bird flat.

I don't use my WSM much anymore, but it was my first big BBQ/smoking purchase, and my biggest regret is not spending another hundred bucks, or whatever it was, to just get the bigger one.

I don't know much about Turkeys but probably a good sized one around 12 lbs.

I went full nerd mode when shopping for a smoker and ultimately settled on the 22" WSM. I started out wanting to just smoke briskets and all the forums recommended getting the 22" to fit a full brisket. IMO buying a small smoker that can't fit a full brisket doesn't make much sense to me.

I found mine used on local classifieds and have loved it.

I don't know much about Turkeys but probably a good sized one around 12 lbs.

I went full nerd mode when shopping for a smoker and ultimately settled on the 22" WSM. I started out wanting to just smoke briskets and all the forums recommended getting the 22" to fit a full brisket. IMO buying a small smoker that can't fit a full brisket doesn't make much sense to me.

I found mine used on local classifieds and have loved it.

If you keep it to that size, you won't have a problem fitting it on a WSM 22", even when spatchcocked.

There are a lot of people out there (including some of my preferred BBQ Youtubers) that say around 12 lbs. (give or take) is the best size of turkey to smoke anyway, and that if you want more, just make 2 of them.

If you keep it to that size, you won't have a problem fitting it on a WSM 22", even when spatchcocked.

There are a lot of people out there (including some of my preferred BBQ Youtubers) that say around 12 lbs. (give or take) is the best size of turkey to smoke anyway, and that if you want more, just make 2 of them.
Okay thanks for the information! I will try and remember to take a few pics and report back!

I forgot to get a picture after plating. But smoked ribs and you can see the smoked wings that I tossed in buffalo. the larger bowl has unsauced, smoked wings - allowing people to use bbq, buffalo, or my fav, a mix.

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 44

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom