Official PCF Smoker and BBQ Thread (2 Viewers)

Oh man, my stomach is growling now.

Funny pulled pork story, a friend from Germany who's had my pulled pork asked for the recipe for her boyfriend who was getting into smoking. Gave it to them, it's a pretty standard recipe. Last month I visited her and found out her boyfriend has put together a catering business, doing 60 pounds of pulled pork a weekend, and advertises it as being an AUTHENTIC USA recipe from an AUTHENTIC USA pulled pork maker.

What percentage should I ask for? Or are there German specific playing cards I should demand?

How do you feel about those cutcos?
You didn't ask me, but I'll give my two cents. Knife snobs will talk smack about Cutco but I have a nice set and they work just fine. They sharpen up and hold an edge pretty well IMO. I never send them in for the free sharpening but I do have an electric Chef's Choice sharpener that puts a very keen edge on them.

here we go...13# full prime packer w/ a light SPG rub going on at 6pm for a (hopefully) ~8am pull. it will be wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for the ~3 hour ride to my annual camping trip with my buddies where it will be served for lunch. wish me luck on timing this right!

20220929_180253.jpg

here we go...13# full prime packer w/ a light SPG rub going on at 6pm for a (hopefully) ~8am pull. it will be wrapped in towels and put in a cooler for the ~3 hour ride to my annual camping trip with my buddies where it will be served for lunch. wish me luck on timing this right!

View attachment 996091
Good luck!

View attachment 996091
That sounds like an amazing time!!

Making my first batch of beef jerky tomorrow. Meat is marinating overnight.

Following this recipe: https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

I was a little disappointed with how "thin" they sliced it. I actually attempted to get it on Wed, but they told me they had to freeze it in order to slice it that thin so I picked it up today. I think I'm going to have to find an actual butcher next time. We will see how it turns out...I'll be sure to post pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

View attachment 996091

Great idea bringing a brisket camping all ready to rock!

Making my first batch of beef jerky tomorrow. Meat is marinating overnight.

Following this recipe: https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/

I was a little disappointed with how "thin" they sliced it. I actually attempted to get it on Wed, but they told me they had to freeze it in order to slice it that thin so I picked it up today. I think I'm going to have to find an actual butcher next time. We will see how it turns out...I'll be sure to post pictures tomorrow.
Thickness is the key. Too too thin and you end up with dried meat.

Ah, okay...I guess we will see how it turns out. How thin/thick do you typically request it?
It is a personal preference and your smoking method also plays. I Iike mine thick ( 3/16+) just so it remains tender but has all the flavors. Depends what you like.

View attachment 996091
Don’t forget to send us the money shot @raynmanas !

I forgot to snap pictures before I pulled them off but here it is. Total cook time ~3 hrs. Probably could have went a little longer but I didnt want to overcook them...I keep all these notes in a OneNote so I know for next time. Flavor is great, I used 3 jalapeños, might use 4 next time or she recommended blending up the marinade if you wanted additional heat. Thickness seemed to work out just right too.

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.48.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.48.50 PM.png

I forgot to snap pictures before I pulled them off but here it is. Total cook time ~3 hrs. Probably could have went a little longer but I didnt want to overcook them...I keep all these notes in a OneNote so I know for next time. Flavor is great, I used 3 jalapeños, might use 4 next time or she recommended blending up the marinade if you wanted additional heat. Thickness seemed to work out just right too.

View attachment 996550View attachment 996549

That looks great man. Probably way better and cheaper than the store bought.

View attachment 996550View attachment 996549
Those look great!

Don’t forget to send us the money shot @raynmanas !

i forgot :( - my phone was still in my truck when i unwrapped it and cut it for lunch and the vultures were ready to pounce.

it was an interesting cook. it was done way earlier than i planned - i had to pull it at 4am and it was already at 208°F. so i put it in a 170°F oven until we left at 9am, then transferred it to the cooler, it was holding steady at 170°F at that point. 3 hour drive and 1/2 hour to set up my tent and gear, so i unwrapped it to cut at 12:30 and it was at exactly 140°F, which is the very edge of still being safe to serve. it was fall apart tender, not my preferred outcome but holy hell was it delicious. i saved the leftovers on ice and brought them home to make brisket hash and eggs on the flat top for dinner tonight.

Smoked/grilled some bbq chicken last weekend! Bacon for the loaded potatoes!

E98B32AF-C72F-4A0A-B060-9FB7E0790274.jpeg

Attachments

• C7962D45-8F3F-4562-AE61-519A92F62DBC.jpeg
    C7962D45-8F3F-4562-AE61-519A92F62DBC.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 49
We didn't have a smoker in college, obviously, but my friends and I made something similar and called it puke dip. Everybody loves the puke dip!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom