Official Horse Race Game Thread (3 Viewers)

Well I got impatient and bought one after playing in PA with @Irish at the @MegaTon44 meetup - but I can say with 99% certainty that I'll be crafting one myself very soon as well. I will end up gifting the one I bought to my dad or something, and then using a combination of my vinyl machine + general woodworking to create something similar to what Irish built! Can't wait - should be a lot of fun!

I'll post pics here of our first use(s) during our weekly games!

Shit, I don't think I ever posted any pics outside the philly meetup thread. Here's my board, uses Blantons horsey corks.

20220903_145247.jpg

20220903_145258.jpg

Inaugural voyage at @MegaTon44 's meetup a couple weeks back:

20220908_142721.jpg

Big thank you to @Darson for running the numbers, I used your suggested hole pattern and the board plays really well!

Shit, I don't think I ever posted any pics outside the philly meetup thread. Here's my board, uses Blantons horsey corks.

View attachment 993982

View attachment 993983

Inaugural voyage at @MegaTon44 's meetup a couple weeks back:

View attachment 993984

Big thank you to @Darson for running the numbers, I used your suggested hole pattern and the board plays really well!
That's pretty sick! Did you make this? I noticed your 2 and 12 have 4 rolls to the finish line as opposed to the version I played at your place, which was 3.

That's pretty sick! Did you make this? I noticed your 2 and 12 have 4 rolls to the finish line as opposed to the version I played at your place, which was 3.

Yep, finished it up about a month ago. The middle lanes also have a couple less rolls than the board we used in Jersey in July, I used the hole pattern that @Darson recommended (based on his fuzzy maff and super simulations) here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/official-horse-race-game-thread.87186/post-1812028

We used this board at the Philly meetup for about an hour. I don't recall the exact number of winners, but it felt much more distributed than when we played at the Jersey meetup. There was at least one or two 6-7-8 winners, whereas those 2 / Q lanes won quite a bit in Jersey. Everything about the game is completely random so it technically doesn't matter.

Yep, finished it up about a month ago. The middle lanes also have a couple less rolls than the board we used in Jersey in July, I used the hole pattern that @Darson recommended (based on his fuzzy maff and super simulations) here:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/official-horse-race-game-thread.87186/post-1812028

We used this board at the Philly meetup for about an hour. I don't recall the exact number of winners, but it felt much more distributed than when we played at the Jersey meetup. There was at least one or two 6-7-8 winners, whereas those 2 / Q lanes won quite a bit in Jersey. Everything about the game is completely random so it technically doesn't matter.
I see! Well that's awesome, it came out fantastic. Been thinking of getting one of these :)

They don't have an equal chance, though...

You need to roll 17 x 7 to win. 7 has a 1:6 chance of being rolled. So on average, it takes 102 rolls to hit seventeen 7's.

You need to roll 3 x 2 to win. 2 has a 1:36 chance of being rolled. So on average, it takes 108 rolls to hit three 2's.
Me breaking down this post
1672106321383.gif

But also me.
1672106392234.gif

Just thinking out loud… So for a straight up race with equal chance of winning it’s better to make a board? Let’s say 12 horses each with 10 spots and use a single 12 sided die. No scratch. Or even just a 6 horse race with a single die. At $5 a race that’s a nice pot (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

I made almost exactly that except currently track uses 8 horses.

Players pay an agreed upon amount for a certain number of races.

The D8 dice are placed in the cup.

Each player picks a die until all are gone.
If more than 8 players up to 11 chip colors, remaining players will not roll, only bet.

Players receive a stack of chips the color of their first die picked along with the matching color D6

Betting takes place at center of track before race.

2-King cards face down in a pile. Everyone picks a card. High card starts the race in a counter clockwise order.

Move your horse the highest number of the D8 and D6 dice rolled. The D8 with 8 colors on the sides indicates the secondary horse moved the amount indicated by the lower number rolled.

Pass to next player counter clockwise and repeat until first 3 horses cross the finish line.

Pay out chips from bank and repeat number of races agreed on. Chip leader at end of all races gets 1st place payout, 2nd place chip leader gets 2nd and 3rd highest chips gets 3rd.

When I get a chance I plan to redo the track adding 2 more rows and 2 more horses then use D10 dice instead of the D8 I'm using now. Already have pink, grey, and 10 colored D10, just need to redo the track which was a decent amount of work on the layout.
This is really just a useable prototype.

I just found this thread now and glad to hear there's more interest in horse racing on pcf. I posted on a few board game groups when designing it that helped change a few of the mechanics to where it is now.

It would be cool to add some type of side bets during race with cards but unsure how to implement.
Any ideas?
20230201_173206.jpg
20230201_173156.jpg
20230201_175620.jpg

Last edited:
Came across this thread, found out we have a board downstairs, and now we're all hooked. Mixed feelings about the board, the odds for the horses are definitely not even with #7 only needing 8 rolls to win, and #6 and #8 needing only 7, as opposed to 18 and 14? that I see most boards having. Still a great time, playng .05/.10/.15/.20, with most pots between $3-5. Already talking about ways to crank up the gambol too. Horse Race Game is definitely going to become a fixture in our poker night.
1857117928.jpg

On my Fineni game board (with a Scratched area/holes), there is one less hole for horse #'s 4-10 than 3x each probability - so e.g. the #4 has 8 holes, the #5 has 11, and the #7 has 17, etc. I'm guessing that the one less hole per lane is supposed to offset the greater chances for the "middle" horses to be scratched (and not finish at all) when running less than full field races?

this is what i am wondering. they could have made the odds even by adding one more hole for those horses, so there has to be a reason for it.

we finally got mine in play last night, and as with everyone else, it was a big hit and people kept wanting "one more race" once we started after the tournament instead of starting the cash game.

20230225_004044.jpg

this is what i am wondering. they could have made the odds even by adding one more hole for those horses, so there has to be a reason for it.

we finally got mine in play last night, and as with everyone else, it was a big hit and people kept wanting "one more race" once we started after the tournament instead of starting the cash game.

View attachment 1087775
Likely listing my board like this one in a day or two in classifieds. Not using it.

Ok so I found this forum after a google search. I was basically done designing my board but then a friend said the holes I have are wrong. So dug deeper and appears that there are many versions. After reading most of this room I will say I am actually more confused now then I was before lol. So is there a right answer for correct number of holes or a majority preference amongst most?

Ok so I found this forum after a google search. I was basically done designing my board but then a friend said the holes I have are wrong. So dug deeper and appears that there are many versions. After reading most of this room I will say I am actually more confused now then I was before lol. So is there a right answer for correct number of holes or a majority preference amongst most?

This is the one I used when I made my board, it's played very well to date, a good mix of horses win: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/official-horse-race-game-thread.87186/post-1812028

Though as someone pointed out at some point in this thread, it's all truly random so it really doesn't matter in terms of which players each win game.

I'm working very slowly on a project for this game and its table top gaming based, I posted early in the thread, I'm looking for some ideas on the scratched horses.

Rather than have a posting of the horse behind the line, I want to take this section off the board completely. I still need a way to mark the scratched horses.

My thought is I would have a set of chips numbered 2 through 12, and if the scratched horses are say 4 2 9 7, I would place a chip with the corresponding number behind the board (typically where the scratched horses would sit)

I either need some ideals on the cheapest way to get 2-12 chips or a better idea.

If I had a custom set made by BRPro I think I would need 25 min per chip, I don't think I could do a group buy for them lol, I could do something with Gear and put them on proper chips. Most Seating chip sets only go up to 10.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm working very slowly on a project for this game and its table top gaming based, I posted early in the thread, I'm looking for some ideals on the scratched horses.

Rather than have a posting of the horse behind the line, I want to take this section off the board completely. I still need a way to mark the scratched horses.

My thought is I would have a set of chips numbered 2 through 12, and if the scratched horses are say 4 2 9 7, I would place a chip with the corresponding number behind the board (typically where the scratched horses would sit)

I either need some ideals on the cheapest way to get 2-12 chips or a better ideal.

If I had a custom set made by BRPro I think I would need 25 min per chip, I don't think I could do a group buy for them lol, I could do something with Gear and put them on proper chips. Most Seating chip sets only go up to 10.

Any thoughts?
I like this idea. The scratch area is not needed. You could just have four spots to the side of the board that you would place the game piece in you already are playing with. Or like you said a spot that would just have a scratch coin go into. Plenty of ways it could be done better then the current set up.

I'm working very slowly on a project for this game and its table top gaming based, I posted early in the thread, I'm looking for some ideas on the scratched horses.

I either need some ideals on the cheapest way to get 2-12 chips or a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Are you making this board? What about creating the numbers in such a way as they is a hole or rivet to allow for a tab of some type to be easily placed over the numbers of scratches.
You could also just have a fold pile and as per your house rules scratched horses cards are discarded as useless....and possibly and opportunity to make those players pay into the kitty. Then simply the pile of cards perhaps into some type of recess on your board could be like the tote board at every racetrack posting its scratches/odds etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom