Official Horse Race Game Thread (3 Viewers)

Test runs of my Horserace Stamp. Not centered or tuned, but just wanted to see if on a chip.
IMG_20220608_210922.jpg

My thoughts as well.

Nice.

Playing $1/$2/$3/$4 scratches with five players, we were getting $60 pots four- and five-handed. I was thinking of maybe playing 25c/50c/75c/$1 scratch fines for more modest $20 pots.

Other house rules I have considered to start everyone one more equal footing:
  • I was considering doing the scratches (and removing the scratch cards from the deck), then dealing out the cards. That way, no one gets hit with too many scratches (and therefore, too few shares).
  • I also considered giving everyone an even number of cards and just killing the extra cards (44 cards less 16 killed on scratches = 28 cards; if you have 5 players, each player gets 5 share cards and the extra three cards are dead; if one of the horses with only three cards out there comes in, share holders get one-third the pot each instead of one quarter).
Yeah, we played 4 people with 25c/50c/75c/$1 and our pots were around the $30 give or take for most games. The wives did not want to start at $1/$2/$3/$4, and my wife is cheap, lol.

Last edited:
Bought a cheap set off of eBay just to give it a try. After about 10 minutes of complaining, people got into it. And then they REALLY got into it. Like, as in one person actually did the bugle song every time we lined up the horses for a new race. People were doing the play by play, lots of yelling and hoopla. I was shocked at how into it people got. Will definitely be working in some of the home game rules that people have worked out (love using aces as passes).

I was thinking about some kind of a draft system.... Anybody try something like that? Where the cards are face up, and people draft their horses. Do you put all your eggs in one basket and go big on a single horse? or diversify? Think something like that could work?

Attachments

• IMG_3843.jpg
    IMG_3843.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 86
Bought a cheap set off of eBay just to give it a try. After about 10 minutes of complaining, people got into it. And then they REALLY got into it. Like, as in one person actually did the bugle song every time we lined up the horses for a new race. People were doing the play by play, lots of yelling and hoopla. I was shocked at how into it people got. Will definitely be working in some of the home game rules that people have worked out (love using aces as passes).

I was thinking about some kind of a draft system.... Anybody try something like that? Where the cards are face up, and people draft their horses. Do you put all your eggs in one basket and go big on a single horse? or diversify? Think something like that could work?
Whoever drafts first will have a huge advantage. Some horses are dramatically more likely to win than others, and anyone who picks any other horse first is just throwing away money.

If you want to inject some strategy into what is otherwise a completely decisionless game, consider doing some sort of auction for the horses. Take a look at my posts here and here for some ideas.

Whoever drafts first will have a huge advantage. Some horses are dramatically more likely to win than others, and anyone who picks any other horse first is just throwing away money.

If you want to inject some strategy into what is otherwise a completely decisionless game, consider doing some sort of auction for the horses. Take a look at my posts here and here for some ideas.
Are the odds really that dramatic? I haven't seen a breakdown, but 1) Doesn't the number of holes per horse level it out and 2) If you do it pre-scratch, then there's still a chance that the horse you picked scratches. So if you choose 7, then you also have the highest odds of getting scratched.

Will take a look at your auction posts!

Are the odds really that dramatic? I haven't seen a breakdown, but 1) Doesn't the number of holes per horse level it out and 2) If you do it pre-scratch, then there's still a chance that the horse you picked scratches. So if you choose 7, then you also have the highest odds of getting scratched.

If you choose pre-scratch, then the middle horse (7) is drastically less likely to win because it's drastically more likely to get scratched, and the outside horses (2 and 12) are more likely to win because they're less likely to get scratched. On a Fineni board, #7 wins about 2% of the time and #2 / #12 win about 20% of the time. So if people get to pick their own horses, anyone who picks an inside horse over an outside horse is throwing away money.

If you choose post-scratch, then the outside horses are moderately more likely to win, because the distribution of holes doesn't match the frequency of the die rolls; there's too few holes across all the horses, and the missing holes disproportionately advantage the outside horses over the inside horses. It's not as lopsided as the pre-scratch case, but it is still lopsided, and in the opposite direction (better to pick outside horses over inside horses).

@Darson ran some simulations and produced some numbers, check out this post and some of the ones following it.

Just thinking out loud… So for a straight up race with equal chance of winning it’s better to make a board? Let’s say 12 horses each with 10 spots and use a single 12 sided die. No scratch. Or even just a 6 horse race with a single die. At $5 a race that’s a nice pot (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

Ok just busted out my new game set (admittedly with the kids. Probably not the best choice of gambling partners lol). Totally fun.

I have a few questions:
#1) does anyone have a good starting chip stack? Total number of chips to play say 4-5 games.

Ok just busted out my new game set (admittedly with the kids. Probably not the best choice of gambling partners lol). Totally fun.

I have a few questions:
#2) what happens when somebody busts out mid-game?

We played with a jockey pot (all the initial scratch money goes to the jockey pot). So the person who busts out mid-game then sits out from rolling any further. But their cards are still live to win a share of the main pot. Not sure about this. Suggestions welcome.

What do people think about drawing cards using cards 2-Q for the four scratched horses instead of rolling?
I don't know what there is to gain from that. The method you described would even out the odds of a horse being scratched but I'm not sure why that matters. In any game of chance, the odds always vary at least a little. It also eliminates the chance of rolling a previously scratched horse during the scratch round.

Last edited:
We had some donkey racing degeneracy tonight. Decided to do one daily double with $2/4/6/8 scratches, but the everyone had so much fun we ran the daily double four times.
View attachment 956798View attachment 956799
And I got crazy lucky and won 3/4 of the pot three races in a row.
View attachment 956800
View attachment 956801View attachment 956802View attachment 956803

oh my god you have a hard drivin' machine! that game was my jam back at old orchard beach circa 1990.

oh my god you have a hard drivin' machine! that game was my jam back at old orchard beach circa 1990.
Yeah, I learned to drive stick on this thing when I was a kid. Saw someone selling it on Craigslist several years ago and jumped at it. Kids like it more than pretty much everything else in the room.
100B6DFD-BEAF-4E00-BC1E-99C10A2CE9C6.jpeg

And I just got the kids out here for a little donkey racing. I’m still running hot. Scooped 3/4 of a pot with 888 again.
11DCB853-BA8D-4F37-8CC7-909DD28DF572.jpeg
133F61A1-3362-4F39-9965-4DFE0F75FB70.jpeg

ED1CEE39-6C65-42F8-9050-A8B88CAE06BC.jpeg
ADF1A442-DED8-4F8E-82E2-736672A2E3EB.jpeg

These donkey dice are treating me right!
734FFB74-6005-4454-A9A0-DC04A3CC1BE4.jpeg

Played with my kids tonight- they love playing. Immediately took me to the cleaners. Each started with 200- this round was ~110 due to the center of the board scratches, with my son taking home 3/4 of it.
A7FC4729-0EB5-4FBD-88B9-CB401A035958.jpeg

Hmmm, getting ideas. Hinge clearance is an issue with racks but if you remove two barrels it should work just fine. Five racks leaves space for additional storage (horses/die).View attachment 892972View attachment 892973View attachment 892974View attachment 892975

Hmmm, getting ideas. Hinge clearance is an issue with racks but if you remove two barrels it should work just fine. Five racks leaves space for additional storage (horses/die).View attachment 892972View attachment 892973View attachment 892974View attachment 892975
I customized one of these for a friend that introduced me to this game. Built a tray to fit between the hinges and low enough to clear the lid. Worked good.

Attachments

• 20220309_190201.jpg
    20220309_190201.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220306_182432.jpg
    20220306_182432.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220304_155511.jpg
    20220304_155511.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 77

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom