Official Error Chip Thread (2 Viewers)

How the hell does that happen? I mean it’s not a 2 piece hotstamp.

Those chips were made back when printing was done on offset printing presses.

Without getting into many details of offset printing, each color has to be applied separately. In the Reno chip examples, The labels are printed with the red ink, allowed to dry, and then a new plate/ink is added to the printer and the labels are sent through a second time for the green ink. The process takes some time to align properly, and those error chips were probably early runs with the secondary color. After the printer looks at the result, he can adjust a few millimeters. The lower printing probably just slipped through quality control as "good enough".

Reactions: 72o
Those chips were made back when printing was done on offset printing presses.

Without getting into many details of offset printing, each color has to be applied separately. In the Reno chip examples, The labels are printed with the red ink, allowed to dry, and then a new plate/ink is added to the printer and the labels are sent through a second time for the green ink. The process takes some time to align properly, and those error chips were probably early runs with the secondary color. After the printer looks at the result, he can adjust a few millimeters. The lower printing probably just slipped through quality control as "good enough".
Ah yes. Thank you. I do love the “imperfect” look of the old school inlays and this explains that look.

missing egdespot

Last edited:
To my missfortune i'm sad to present you this chip. Apart from the "slightly" off center inlay, it also got quite a few dents/fleabites on that facing. Guess the good news is the other side looks great so 50% of the time nobody notices.

Attachments

• DSC_0339.JPG
    DSC_0339.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 270
I figured I would post mine. I found it yesterday while oiling up my new chips from CPC...

They sent extras sure, yes. Still, I didn't like it. It bugged me. Not sure why. It's my first real set of chips that I broke the bank for and I didn't like to see this...

I'm sure it's human error.
IMG_20190603_125533.jpg

Last edited:
I figured I would post mine. I found it yesterday while oiling up my new chips from CPC...

They sent extras sure, yes. Still, I didn't like it. It bugged me. Not sure why. It's my first real set of chips that I broke the bank for and I didn't like to see this...

As you said, that is exactly why they send extras. No reason for it to bug you. Just throw it away, they way QC would have done if they caught it.

I think most of us relish their error chips and keep them in play - just to see if anyone notices.

I didn't even realize they send extras for their stock designs also... I love CPC even more now than I did before.

Looks like it was left on a car dashboard :nailbite:
This seems likely now that I think about it. The other side of the label is fine, and the pink spot is slightly faded compared to the other side. I'll probably send this chip back into the stack next trip - condition is not worth keeping by any means.

Here's a nice one I got in a batch of 50, it's a $25 on the other side

Attachments

• 20190730_234914.jpg
    20190730_234914.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 250
This one is especially cool since it is into the mold. I appreciate you leaving it as one of my free bonus chips. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom