My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (59 Viewers)

My previous experience with Big O games in the Tampa area was that it rarely ran, when it did it was short-handed, super nitty and the game just wouldn't last very long because of it.

So yeah, nitty Big O is the absolute worst. However, there are pockets of good Big O games throughout the country, and there are also some good games on the apps I've been finding, so there's some hope.

Here in TX it's either San Antonio or Dallas, since Austin and Houston seem to be PLO only. Then there's Arizona, I believe Blackhawk is supposed to have some good games, etc.

At the moment I'm just dipping my toes in and trying it out to see where it goes. My attraction to it is the decreased variance in good games, where you can win 80% of your sessions compared with PLO which is more in the 60-65% range.

Back in the day my jam was actually fixed-limit Omaha hi/lo. I used to multitable the shit out of that game back in the Party Poker era. I still remember a couple of nitwits calling my preflop raises with 99xx one day and 77xx another day (both days I made the nut full house, both days they made quads, both days I had the low redraw, both days I missed and got scooped, yeah it's a curse I live with, remembering beats from decades ago)

But I never really gave Big O a chance because locally whenever it ran the games were meh. I know Maryland gets lots of 5-card action, but thought that was high-only?
I think the longevity of any given Big O game can be relatively short compared to other games. You have to get in while the gettin is good because the bad players get crushed so badly so quickly.

When most of the table knows what they are doing, Big O is actually pretty terrible. And if you've ever caught any of the WSOP coverage of PLO8, you'll see just how bad it can be with two good players. There was a heads up between Nick Shulman and someone else, maybe Ben Lamb, and it was horrible to watch. Even heads up, relatively short stacked, is just waiting to get something both ways a lot of the time and playing tons of tiny pots until then.

But when people are bad at it. It's a good mine. And I'm not even that great at it.

I think the longevity of any given Big O game can be relatively short compared to other games. You have to get in while the gettin is good because the bad players get crushed so badly so quickly.

When most of the table knows what they are doing, Big O is actually pretty terrible. And if you've ever caught any of the WSOP coverage of PLO8, you'll see just how bad it can be with two good players. There was a heads up between Nick Shulman and someone else, maybe Ben Lamb, and it was horrible to watch. Even heads up, relatively short stacked, is just waiting to get something both ways a lot of the time and playing tons of tiny pots until then.

But when people are bad at it. It's a good mine. And I'm not even that great at it.
yup. Waiting for set plus wrap plus low draw vs. wrap plus flush draw plus low draw hands, otherwise pots stay small with good players and chips really just get pushed back and forth around the table.

yup. Waiting for set plus wrap plus low draw vs. wrap plus flush draw plus low draw hands, otherwise pots stay small with good players and chips really just get pushed back and forth around the table.
It’s a little different at the animal house. We play an aggressive form of the stand up game (hi hand gets the sit down puck) so people are chasing a hi hand even with a made lo on the board. The term “chaos” comes to mind.

It’s a little different at the animal house. We play an aggressive form of the stand up game (hi hand gets the sit down puck) so people are chasing a hi hand even with a made lo on the board. The term “chaos” comes to mind.
Gotta do something like that unless you already have betting maniacs at the table. PLO8 is more solved than NHLE.

Won $991 playing Big O today, they kept trying to bluff me when I had the nuts

20230328_144459.jpg

20230328_140633.jpg

Tonight tune in at 7pm Central as I do commentary on this wild livestream!

https://www.youtube.com/live/FKnAcdqYkuU?feature=share

Have you ever considered making short reels of individual hands? I find I watch a ton of these when scrolling on instagram

Totally get it. You just have made comments about wanting to grow your viewers and I was just wondering if you had considered a different format. People of my generation want their shit immediately viewable now. Also wonder how much a different format adds viewership to another.

Have you ever considered making short reels of individual hands? I find I watch a ton of these when scrolling on instagram
This is actually a really good idea -- I think your content would present well in this format, too. Check out some of Greg Goes All In's reels, etc -- short hand histories but it is long enough to give some commentary on the hand. Then if people like you from that format they will also watch YouTube, etc.

That's fair and I appreciate the feedback. I just don't have an interest in producing quick consumption clips right now

It's something I could do in the future, but already have a variety of things going on and not looking to add any additional work

I suppose possibly I could clip from my full format episodes one of the more entertaining clips and that might draw in viewers to the full episodes, it's food for thought

Lemmee and Poker Jeezus pray on it

My 49th vlog is live featuring Part I of my road to a final table playing a PLO Tournament at The Lodge Card Club in Round Rock Texas!

In addition there's information about my trip to this years WSOP including some of my action being available in three events at StakeKings

Fantastic work, enjoying more and more of it. One little tidbit is I hate the red bottom banner. Thats where YouTube shows if I've already watched a video, they place a red bar at the bottom showing previous progress in the video. Blends right into yours so as I go back to watch some of your VLOGS I gotta mess around to see if I've watched it before.

Fantastic work, enjoying more and more of it. One little tidbit is I hate the red bottom banner. Thats where YouTube shows if I've already watched a video, they place a red bar at the bottom showing previous progress in the video. Blends right into yours so as I go back to watch some of your VLOGS I gotta mess around to see if I've watched it before.

It's funny you mention it because I just happened to make this weeks vlog with the red bar/title at the top. Generally I'm just trying to make sure the chips show through on the shot

It's funny you mention it because I just happened to make this weeks vlog with the red bar/title at the top. Generally I'm just trying to make sure the chips show through on the shot
Love the style, but a hindrance when Im mindlessly clicking for something to watch while cooking or whatever. Noticed that. Thanks!

If I'm running that business I'm catering to the low stakes guys. 10 tables of 1/2 is way easier to fill and generates 10x the revenue of one 100/200 table, especially when you factor in how high maintenance those whales will be
Resurrecting an old comment, but it seems like it wouldn't be that hard for The Lodge to provide all of the above: high stakes, uncapped/match-the-stack lower stakes, and capped lower stakes.

Those capped games bring in players (like me) who don't want to sit at a 1/2 or 2/5 table with 30-50K.

Fill more tables, make more money, but still grow the online content side of the brand with the 1/2/5/10/20/40/80 games where everybody has five figures in front of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom