My grandmother's Old Philadelphia cheesecake recipe (2 Viewers)

dennis63

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporter
Reaction score
Grandmom%20B_zpsqsljy99a.jpg

My grandmother outside her house in the 1940s,
in the days when people wore hats to scrub the sidewalks out front.

I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and my parents and grandparents were from South Philly.

For as long as I can remember, my grandmother made the most amazing cheesecake, unlike anything I've ever tasted in a restaurant, before or since. I actually remember riding my bicycle to a dairy store near our house to pick up the ingredients, then waiting what seemed like forever for one of these pieces of Heaven to be done. When I went off to college, my grandmother made sure to have a cheesecake made for me on any weekend I was home.

When she passed away in 1990, no one thought about my grandmother's recipe. We thought my mother would remember it. (She didn't.) And so the recipe of exactly how to make the cheesecake was lost to time. I think I had my last bite of one some time in 1989.

My family members tried to duplicate it many times, based on what we could recall, but it was never right. In the past few years, I made at least 10 attempts myself, but in each, something just wasn't quite "it."

Recently, my sister was cleaning at my parents' house and pulled an old book from a shelf to dust. Out fell a card written in my grandmother's handwriting, and dated on her birthday in 1971. It was the recipe for her cheesecake, which dates back to her mother and the early 1900s.

This afternoon, I got all the ingredients and tried it. The hour waiting for baking seemed like days, and it took even longer to cool. At about 9 p.m., I tried it.

For the first time in 27 years, I had a slice of that amazing cheesecake, which is officially called a "Cottage Cheese Pie." (My grandmother always called it cheesecake.)

So, for the chefs, cooks and foodies here, I offer it to you, as written down by my grandmother in 1971:

Cottage Cheese Pie:

1 pint creamed cottage cheese
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Plain 10" pie crust

Place cottage cheese in blender -- beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time.
Mix sugar, flour & salt together and add along with milk, then add vanilla along with melted butter.
Pour mixture into pan (10-inch uncooked pie shell) and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
Bake approximately one hour - 325 to 350 degrees.

Dennis63's notes on making the cheesecake:

Two keys: Use smooth cottage cheese, not "small curd," but whipped "creamed cottage cheese," (That's not "cream cheese." It's "creamed cottage cheese." Hard to find, but yes, they have it.)

Use a plain pie crust, not graham cracker crust. For many years, my grandmother made her own pie crusts from scratch, but after trying a plain Pillsbury crust one time, she said she'd never make another crust from scratch.

I bought all the ingredients -- cottage cheese, milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs, etc., for under $18. The actual cost to make one pie came out to be only $7.68. (You'll have plenty of everything but cottage cheese left over.)

I baked it at 340 for an hour, and had to go another 10 minutes, so I'll try 350 next time. The pie will rise up above the crust a bit , but goes back down when you take it out to cool.

The ingredients list comes from the early 1970s, when they had 10-inch pie crusts. Today, they're all 9-inch, so you might have some left over when you fill the pie shell. I used a "deep dish" pie shell, and it all fit in.

This pie is very different from what we call "cheesecake" these days. It's lighter and has the flavor of a custard -- not quite vanilla custard, not quite cheesecake. Something really unique and wonderful, handed down over the generations

Somewhere, my grandmother is smiling.

Last edited:
Awesome thing to pass on, Dennis. I'll have to try this one out.

Grandmom%20B_zpsqsljy99a.jpg

My grandmother outside her house in the 1940s,
in the days when people wore hats to scrub the sidewalks out front.

I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and my parents and grandparents were from South Philly.

For as long as I can remember, my grandmother made the most amazing cheesecake, unlike anything I've ever tasted in a restaurant, before or since. I actually remember riding my bicycle to a dairy store near our house to pick up the ingredients, then waiting what seemed like forever for one of these pieces of Heaven to be done. When I went off to college, my grandmother made sure to have a cheesecake made for me on any weekend I was home.

When she passed away in 1990, no one thought about my grandmother's recipe. We thought my mother would remember it. (She didn't.) And so the recipe of exactly how to make the cheesecake was lost to time. I think I had my last bite of one some time in 1989.

My family members tried to duplicate it many times, based on what we could recall, but it was never right. In the past few years, I made at least 10 attempts myself, but in each, something just wasn't quite "it."

Recently, my sister was cleaning at my parents' house and pulled an old book from a shelf to dust. Out fell a card written in my grandmother's handwriting, and dated on her birthday in 1971. It was the recipe for her cheesecake, which dates back to her mother and the early 1900s.

This afternoon, I got all the ingredients and tried it. The hour waiting for baking seemed like days, and it took even longer to cool. At about 9 p.m., I tried it.

For the first time in 27 years, I had a slice of that amazing cheesecake, which is officially called a "Cottage Cheese Pie." (My grandmother always called it cheesecake.)

So, for the chefs, cooks and foodies here, I offer it to you, as written down by my grandmother in 1971:

Cottage Cheese Pie:

1 pint creamed cottage cheese
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Plain 10" pie crust

Place cottage cheese in blender -- beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time.
Mix sugar, flour & salt together and add along with milk, then add vanilla along with melted butter.
Pour mixture into pan (10-inch uncooked pie shell) and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
Bake approximately one hour - 325 to 350 degrees.

Dennis63's notes on making the cheesecake:

Two keys: Use smooth cottage cheese, not "small curd," but whipped "creamed cottage cheese," (That's not "cream cheese." It's "creamed cottage cheese." Hard to find, but yes, they have it.)

Use a plain pie crust, not graham cracker crust. For many years, my grandmother made her own pie crusts from scratch, but after trying a plain Pillsbury crust one time, she said she'd never make another crust from scratch.

I bought all the ingredients -- cottage cheese, milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs, etc., for under $18. The actual cost to make one pie is only $7.68. (You'll have some of everything left over.)

I baked it at 340 for an hour, and had to go another 10 minutes, so I'll try 350 next time. The pie will rise up above the crust a bit , but goes back down when you take it out to cool.

The ingredients list comes from the early 1970s, when they had 10-inch pie crusts. Today, they're all 9-inch, so you might have some left over when you fill the pie shell. I used a "deep dish" pie shell, and it all fit in.

This pie is very different from what we call "cheesecake" these days. It's lighter and has the flavor of a custard -- not quite vanilla custard, not quite cheesecake. Something really unique and wonderful, handed down over the generations

Somewhere, my grandmother is smiling.
Very much so. Great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

I should mention that the cottage cheese containers say "16 ounces" these days. That's the right size.

And the pie was always served cool -- room temperature or cooler. Store in the fridge, if there is any left.

With six people in our house growing up, we rarely had any left over.

14138c2f-cb84-430f-86b2-41bc5e2fd0df_zpswf205umd.jpg
96d0e321-5d59-4405-8f6c-9541508395a6_zpsfjoxeen4.jpg

Ready for the oven (left), and after the "taste test" (right). The top will be just a bit golden when done.

Last edited:
Sir,

Thank you for sharing the story and the recipe. My son makes homemade cheesecake all the time. I'll forward this recipe to him.

Thank you for sharing, it brought a tear of happiness to my eye to read the story.

Also, this sounds wonderful and I'm excited to give it a try. It'll be a while since we are in the midst of construction chaos, but I will be sure to post results.

Great story!

But I dunno, think I'm going to have to try it with a graham cracker crust anyway. Sound too good to pass up, sorry!

Great story!

But I dunno, think I'm going to have to try it with a graham cracker crust anyway. Sound too good to pass up, sorry!

I know what you mean. I suspect a graham cracker crust is harder to serve. This is a custard and needs something to help it keep a shape.

Great story!

These days, the flavored (graham cracker, chocolate, Oreo, etc.) crusts are just about all they have. It took some looking to find a plain pie crust in the refrigerated section.

I'm sure it will still be delicious if you like graham cracker crust. We never really added to it, but there's no end to the possibilities -- cherries, strawberries, chocolate, whipped cream.

I just stuck to the way she always made it, for obvious reasons.

One piece of advice I can give everyone: You know those amazing old family recipes? Write them down! I know the best cooks always mixed everything by eyeing it up, but get them to tell you amounts and write it down, or you risk losing it forever -- or for about three decades.

-- Can't wait to hear of your results with this.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
These days, the flavored (graham cracker, chocolate, Oreo, etc.) crusts are just about all they have. It took some looking to find a plain pie crust in the refrigerated section....

On the east coast, at least, I find the Mrs. Smith's crusts in just about every supermarket, and they're almost as good as my home-made.

I did a peach galette with a Mrs. Smith's crust last night, taken out of the aluminum pan and hand-shaped, nice and dark brown, brushed with butter, sprinked with a bit of sugar for caramelization, and it was excellent.

Last edited:
Awesome story and recipe, Dennis. Thanks for sharing. Just curious but if it's going in the blender, why small curd cottage cheese wouldn't work?

Growing up, my grandmother always had my fav, a homemade custard pie, ready for me when I came over. Of course, I never appreciated the work involved until after I moved away and missed all that deliciousness!

Awesome story and recipe, Dennis. Thanks for sharing. Just curious but if it's going in the blender, why small curd cottage cheese wouldn't work?

Growing up, my grandmother always had my fav, a homemade custard pie, ready for me when I came over. Of course, I never appreciated the work involved until after I moved away and missed all that deliciousness!

Yes, blending small curd cottage cheese. I thought this myself, but went with the smooth because it's what she always used.

For years, I thought the pie included Philadelphia Cream Cheese, because I can remember my grandmother sending me to the store for "creamed cottage cheese" or "cottage cheese" or "cream cheese" or something. Who remembers that stuff when you were a kid? Often, we'd also get Philly cream cheese at the same store, but apparently that was being used in other things -- bagels, celery with cream cheese, etc.

Remembering incorrectly, and thinking the pie had cream cheese in it, led to many mistakes.

But there really is "whipped creamed cottage cheese." The brand I found, in the photo above, is Axelrod's from New York.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom