In Progress (ordering closed) Matsui Zen Group Buy 2021 (2 Viewers)

Also the plaque racks are much different then the ones from the first buy they seem to be much better quality.
I feel like I could fight a war with this plaque rack.

A86C13B3-6162-4CCB-837A-0EE6B7B2BA35.jpeg

The chips are awesome. Color difference is interesting I am wondering if play will change the color.
I doubt it, but at the same time, you'd never know. You could mix a barrel of the new ones in to a rack of the olds and you'd struggle to find all of them in any kind of realistic timeframe. You'd get them eventually, but not fast and anyone playing with them would never no the difference.

The plaques are a different story. The blue is pretty spot on. In fact I kept getting confused as to what was my old sample set and what was my new plaques. Red is pretty different. Old red 25k plaque was more of a true red and an orange gold. New red plaque is a bit more brown and the gold is a yellow gold. I like them, but you'd spot them easy if they were mixed in.

Gold coins are awesome. Just awesome.

The dealer buttons, I really like the white ones. The black ones, the pearl effect on the black can make it kinda hard to make out the face at certain angles. I like it, but I really like the white one. One thing it does make me think about is the GB for the $20 plaque and how yellow on orange might end up really challenging to see clearly.

Freaking AWESOME set. Couldn't be happier.

Anybody else notice this? The metal non denoms were said to be 40mm but they're 43mm, same as the 500s and 1ks. I don't care either way, just thought it was interesting.
IMG_1928.jpg

Gold coins are awesome. Just awesome.
I will admit I am a bit disappointed with the edges of the coins. Mine are not smooth, plenty of bumps and flea bites and such. Won't stop me from using them, but for the price, I was hoping for a bit more of a refined surface. They are otherwise indeed awesome.

IMG_1940.jpg

Just wanted to say - I got my sample set and OMG I love these chips.

I usually just play cash, but I'm seriously contemplating running tournaments just so I have a reason to use the big chips and plaques. ... of course, I'd have to buy someone's "extras" to do it...

Great job @derekdd23 for running this, thanks @Joe Harris for organizing the sample sets, thanks @Forty4 for shipping the samples... and of course hats off to J5 for an incredible design. Whether I ever pick up a full set or not, these samples will be a treasured part of my collection.

I am looking for a rack of .25 if anyone has any available? I will also post in the classifieds just figured I would ask here first. If so PM me please.

Anybody else notice this? The metal non denoms were said to be 40mm but they're 43mm, same as the 500s and 1ks. I don't care either way, just thought it was interesting.
View attachment 900331

I will admit I am a bit disappointed with the edges of the coins. Mine are not smooth, plenty of bumps and flea bites and such. Won't stop me from using them, but for the price, I was hoping for a bit more of a refined surface. They are otherwise indeed awesome.

View attachment 900337
The new metal chips are exactly the same size as the old metal chips. So the chip size didn’t change, perhaps the description was off.

PM me if you are interested on selling gold coin chips and Or .25 chips I will buy them if price is right

Hi fellow Zen chippers,

I did not participate in the last GB, but I thank @FestiveKnight for the plaques he sold me and that I needed to finish my set. I would also like to thank @derekdd23 and @J5 and other I forgot, for all the work that must have been done.

Now I come to my real question :
Would there be interest for Matsui Zen cut cards?
There is the cut cards GB organized by @Buge and for wich we could submit a design until 15 August. Maybe we could get the drawing of the tree with the kanji from J5.

Regarding my previous message, I sent a request to the illustrious J5 for the logo. I will therefore see what he answers me. I didn't contact @derekdd23 as I know he had a lot of work with the GB and I didn't want to bother him.

Regarding my previous message, I sent a request to the illustrious J5 for the logo. I will therefore see what he answers me. I didn't contact @derekdd23 as I know he had a lot of work with the GB and I didn't want to bother him.
You just need @Johnny5 to sign off and agree to his art fee amount. If he’s good he can send the artwork direct to the organizer of the cut card GB.

I also am in on this. I’ll say 10 poker cut cards.

Hello Zen Chippers,

The cut cards project is well underway! :)

The great @Johnny5 kindly accepted my request. So I will soon mention the fact in the cut cards GB thread and get in touch with @Buge . I will also keep you informed of developments.
(I will certainly also open an interest thread)

« Today very happy, but also very Zen »

Attachments

• 5C5E36A5-1DD6-432E-8568-0F04F60D3425.jpeg
    5C5E36A5-1DD6-432E-8568-0F04F60D3425.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 26349955-3B10-4335-B624-6A9E409B0FBB.jpeg
    26349955-3B10-4335-B624-6A9E409B0FBB.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 02DFB0D5-7B6E-4DB6-902F-1C823966934C.jpeg
    02DFB0D5-7B6E-4DB6-902F-1C823966934C.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 106
So, I have to ask for anyone who bought this set. Does it smell like mothballs to you? I used them for the first time last week, and I have to say that they were loved by every player at the table. Many of them said that they were the favorite chip they've used so far, beating out Paulson and Abbiati.

But when I went to go take them out of their racks originally, they definitely had a strong mothball smell. I can't explain it. They are stored in the exact same type of cage and the exact same Matsui racks that my other chips are stored in. Even my other 43 mm Matsui WSOPs don't have the weird smell.

So, I have to ask for anyone who bought this set. Does it smell like mothballs to you? I used them for the first time last week, and I have to say that they were loved by every player at the table. Many of them said that they were the favorite chip they've used so far, beating out Paulson and Abbiati.

But when I went to go take them out of their racks originally, they definitely had a strong mothball smell. I can't explain it. They are stored in the exact same type of cage and the exact same Matsui racks that my other chips are stored in. Even my other 43 mm Matsui WSOPs don't have the weird smell.
never noticed one. But they do have a 'break in' period. The 5s I've used and the 5s I haven't are different. It's oil from people's skin.

This is totally correct chips change as fingers handle them. Chip co, paulson, matsui and Abbiati, all do this.

never noticed one. But they do have a 'break in' period. The 5s I've used and the 5s I haven't are different. It's oil from people's skin.

This is totally correct chips change as fingers handle them. Chip co, paulson, matsui and Abbiati, all do this.

Sure, oil from people's skin is one of the things that makes clay chips better. I've always wondered what long-term use of ceramic/plastic chips does them. I've already had to clean off some plastic chips once after about five sessions with them. They just got slick and greasy.

But I'm talking about mint Matsui Zens here. This was the first time playing with them, and it smelled like Grandma's closet. I mean, it was overwhelming when I opened the birdcage. And after letting the birdcage air out I can tell you that it wasn't the cage itself. It was absolutely the chips.

The Matsui WSOPs don't have the same issue. Yes, they are a different plastic, but I wouldn't expect this smell from any chip. I mean it was worse than any China clay you could imagine. Luckily, it did not linger very long but if you smell the rack of chips after the night was over, it was still kind of there. And I'm almost certain that after I put them all back in the bird cage, it's going to build up again.

I just smelled mine. Thankfully the wife didn’t walk in. Yes they smell faintly of moth balls.

If a group buy for Zen's comes back at roughly the same price, I'm in for a set (at least 600 chips, probably more). Just putting that out there :)

Been handling these a lot lately, and it may have been referenced before, but to me there is a notable difference in feel between the 43mm and the 39mm. The 43mm are noticeably less smooth, which I prefer.

Anyone else? Any reason?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom