Looking to get custom chips made, a few questions (1 Viewer)

quebert

High Hand
Reaction score
I was all set to order some chips from Chiplabs, but then I realized the smaller orders were only for the clay chips. What I'm after is a set for a home game, sometimes it'll be cash, sometimes it'll be a small 2 table tourney. I've read up on chips and Googled places that make custom ones. I'm kind of lost looking for somewhere that offers everything I'm after

I want Ceramic chips with full color art work and aligned edges. Chiplabs offers this, but 250 minimum per chip will end up being too many chips, I don't need 1000 chips. What I'd like is 4 different color chips with the same artwork, 100 of each. If there isn't a place that offers split orders, somewhere with a 100 chip minimum would be great. My budget, I'm good with $1.75'ish a chip. I'd like an option for a coating like the clearchip gloss Chiplabs offers. I'm not sure how much protection that actually add's, or if it's even needed for a twice a week game. But if I'm dropping $700+ on chips I don't mind paying a few cents extra a chip to help them last longer. I Googled the heck out of this and I'm not seeing 1 place that offers the chips with every option I want in a smaller quantity. Maybe one doesn't exist and if that's the case I guess I'll just go with CL and have them all the same color.

1. Try any of the vendors here. Old west. Game on chip company. And ABC gifts and awards.

All offer ceramics at less price and less minimums.

At $1.75 per chip you could also afford custom clay chips. See classic poker chips.

2. Also for a home game I wouldn't bother with the clear coating protection. General home use will probably never need it for the added cost.

3. Many members here will suggest getting two separate sets. The last thing you want is a chip from a tournament showing up in a cash game and having a short bank. $700 should be enough depending on the break down needed.

4. Feel free to post your usual stakes for your game. Amount of players etc. members here will be more than happy to suggest a breakdown of chips that may even save you money as you probably don't need as many high denoms as you first thought.

5. Welcome to pcf.

Also 6. The "clay chips" that site offers aren't clay chips. They are cheap plastic chips.

Buy more than you think you will want/need. It is almost inevitable you will regret buying too few chips. Plus, one can never have too many chips especially custom chips.

Pictures please!

Welcome -=- DrStrange

Also worth mentioning: get samples.

If you're willing to spend as much as you are, CPC makes a much nicer chip by most standards than ceramics. If you really like ceramics, then go for it.

See the "paymaster" thread for how to do ceramics right. Game On makes great chips, for about 60c each if unaligned edges.

Welcome.

Stocky is right, never ever mix sets. That is, never have a set that you can use for both cash and tourney... Get two sets. The denoms will likely be different anyways... Aside from the obvious security concerns... Cash set denominations usually range $.25-$25, and tourney sets typically start at T25 and go to T1000+

For a custom ceramic set, I'm guessing you'll be in the neighborhood of .60-.70/chip? Just a guess.

This is a chip forum, so people here will be quick to advise more chips (we like chips), but there's logic behind this advice. More chips allows flexibility and it's more fun to play with more chips!

Keep us in the loop about your journey, chip designs, etc...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I thought over everything mentioned here and read a few more threads and I'm more in tune with the direction I should go. I'm still kicking around ideas for the art work. I thought I had come up with what I wanted myself. But when I saw the paymaster I'm not feeling my design any more :D Have a friend who's an amazing tattoo artist and we're kicking around ideas. I'm thinking something cheesy/80's throw back. Maybe WWF wrestlers, haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid, but lots of fond memories. It might make for some fun chips. I'm thinking face drawing on 1 side of the chip, and action shot on the back. I know you can't use copyrighted stuff, but if they're drawings it should be okay, I think? lol

Of course now that I'm leaning towards different graphics on each side I'll have to look further for a place that offers it. I know I saw a few that did, but OWPS I'm not seeing this option, so I'll email them. I do see they sell a set of CMYK chips which will show exactly what colors will look like, about to order those for sure. I'm also pondering over using the movie Scarface .for the theme.

I don't think using pictures of old wrestlers is gonna land you in trouble. If you're making commercially available chips you'll get some backlash, but personal collection, meh. And NO pictures of Hulk doing Bubba's wife...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I thought over everything mentioned here and read a few more threads and I'm more in tune with the direction I should go. I'm still kicking around ideas for the art work. I thought I had come up with what I wanted myself. But when I saw the paymaster I'm not feeling my design any more :D Have a friend who's an amazing tattoo artist and we're kicking around ideas. I'm thinking something cheesy/80's throw back. Maybe WWF wrestlers, haven't watched wrestling since I was a kid, but lots of fond memories. It might make for some fun chips. I'm thinking face drawing on 1 side of the chip, and action shot on the back. I know you can't use copyrighted stuff, but if they're drawings it should be okay, I think? lol

Of course now that I'm leaning towards different graphics on each side I'll have to look further for a place that offers it. I know I saw a few that did, but OWPS I'm not seeing this option, so I'll email them. I do see they sell a set of CMYK chips which will show exactly what colors will look like, about to order those for sure. I'm also pondering over using the movie Scarface .for the theme.
My advice for ANY type of customs is always this. Find something that has meaning to you/you are passionate about. Then milk your idea for everything you can.

Oh, and get professional design help. There are several of them here and your results will get exponentially better.

If you are pursuing ceramics I will +1 Game on Chip Company. They have impressed me the most of the options out there.

Oh, also personally to me. If you are doing ceramics I always felt like its a mistake to get ceramics and then make something that looks like a clay chip. If you are going ceramic embrace the medium fully and take advantage of the printing allowed on it. Just my $.02

OK, someone here HAS to do this, may as well be me...

Obv Avatar for the OP

latest

Last edited:
I know GOCC puts out extremely good quality chips. I also know they will be very particular about any photo or image or likeness that might even have a possibility of being copyrighted. While my experience is limited I can say without a doubt that OWPS will give you tons of help with your artwork and design as its free with a paid order. You will also have tons more freedom on your image choices and YES you can have a different image on each side.
Here is a link to my thread here on my experience with OWPS. I hope it helps and good luck with your adventure. We will want to see pics.

http://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/a-special-thanks-to-owps.8728/

Last edited:
Spoke to my artist friend, we're going to do a Scarface set, 6 or 7 different chips, a dealer button & plaque. Obviously it'll be a good ways off, but when I get a mock up I'll post it. I know some people here are chip collectors, and others probably like Scarface. Imho it might make for an interesting set.

Welcome to PCF...

Love the name... You are in the right place for design and chip questions.....

You have plenty of good advise already so I wont ad my 2 cents....

Good luck with the customs..

I noticed at the Chiplabs site, that in addition to “Clay Composite” and “Ceramic” chips, they now list “New! Clay Poker Chips.” Not having been to the site before, I’m unsure how new this option is. (It’s offered with or without a gem mold.)

Anyone know if this is indeed something new and better? Above, it is asserted that the company does not offer anything like “real” clay, only plastics... The scarcity of any mentions of ChipLab on this site makes me assume it is not worth looking into, but since hope springs eternal, I am tempted to order some samples.

Last edited:
Just to give you some other good options:

CPC Hot stamp - Atlantic Club
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/stock/atlantichs.htm

CPC Rounders
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/stock/rounderss.htm

CPC Atlantic Series
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/stock/atlantica.htm

CPC Custom Options:
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/pokerchips/realclaypokerchips.htm

Apache - Dunes China Clays
https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/dunes-clay-poker-chips/

Apache - Elite Series...some would even say made by Paulson...
https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/paulson-elite-poker-chips/

The Elite series would be versatile to play tourney or cash.

Apache - used Paulsons
https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product-category/paulson-poker-chips/

You could also contact @Gear to make you some custom labels which could be applied to many used chips.

I like the scarface idea but just wanted to let you know about some other affordable and nice chips available.

PS. Why do you want ceramics? Clay chips are the bees knees.

(I posted in it because it was one of the only ones on the site to mention ChipLab, and I figured it best to keep the info together.)

I want Ceramic chips with full color art work and aligned edges. Chiplabs offers this, but 250 minimum per chip will end up being too many chips, I don't need 1000 chips. What I'd like is 4 different color chips with the same artwork, 100 of each.

While it won't get you custom artwork; brpropoker.com provides semi-custom ceramics for pretty fair prices. 400 semi-custom (pick your denoms and what currency symbols you want (if any)) Tiki Kings for 67¢ a chip. They have a few other types they'll do semi-custom where they'll change the text as well as the denomination like Lucky Dragons or Valentino chips. The latter costs more if you want aligned edge spots (which you do... ;) )

FWIW, I ordered a handful of sample chips from ChipLab.

Short report: Don’t bother.

Slightly longer report: The “new clay” chips they are offering are (a) too heavy at 13.5g and (b) too big at 40mm instead of the more familiar 39mm.

The edges are very sharp, which with the added size and weight makes them tough to shuffle more than 6-8 at a time.

Breaking them open, they have a metal insert pretty much identical to the ones you find in dice and other cheap chips. I can’t tell what the material is... Something slightly heavier than cheap plastics and composites, but basically the same stuff.

The label printing seems pretty decent, and the surface texture and sound of them isn’t actually that bad... Had they not made these so heavy, I could see these actually being sort of useful for hosts of bigger tournaments who want something more distinctive but need a lot of cheaper chips.

P.S. I also got a sample of their “clay composites,” which are pretty much just glorified dice chips.

So... So much for ChipLab. I was foolishly hoping I might have stumbled onto something.

I agree that as far as a playable set of poker chips, there are a ton of better options out there. ChipLab makes plastic chips that are slugged and slippery.

But, the killer app for ChipLab is their designer- it’s awesome for creating inexpensive keepsake collectible chips. I give out these to players in my monthly tournaments. I also have “in the money” chips, “bubble” chips, etc. My players LOVE them.

So I give ChipLab mad props for this at any rate.

Attachments

• CAF89DDE-798D-4167-8978-01D7C313EE59.jpeg
    CAF89DDE-798D-4167-8978-01D7C313EE59.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 75A877AA-E032-417B-8A3F-2CC5290C0B9D.jpeg
    75A877AA-E032-417B-8A3F-2CC5290C0B9D.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 7F09FDEF-02C8-4763-807B-EB30B22F3867.jpeg
    7F09FDEF-02C8-4763-807B-EB30B22F3867.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 3DE28278-14B7-40BF-A00F-C0A4EE4B2BB2.jpeg
    3DE28278-14B7-40BF-A00F-C0A4EE4B2BB2.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 5DEBE340-0D1B-4B73-BE05-E2EC78B7E802.jpeg
    5DEBE340-0D1B-4B73-BE05-E2EC78B7E802.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 6C5F29D0-08BA-468C-A696-D32F208CD034.jpeg
    6C5F29D0-08BA-468C-A696-D32F208CD034.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 191
Hi you all.
First of all, this is NOT sponsored ad of ChipLab, but have to say that they did very good job for us.
My friend want it his own chips, and I suggest CPC if he want it the best, and ChipLab clays if want it faster and cheaper ones.
I have my own CPC:s which are so pretty, so nice, so good. Will post images later.
Anyways, my friend want it to go with ChipLab and I made a design for inlay graphics in four colors for Texas HoldEm games. Order was easy to make, customer service was perfect and shipping to Finland was only couple of days. Perfect.
I haven´t see those chips in live yet, but my friend love them. Will post about print and feel quality later.

Attachments

• pskp-clays.jpg
    pskp-clays.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 203
Hi you all.
First of all, this is NOT sponsored ad of ChipLab, but have to say that they did very good job for us.
My friend want it his own chips, and I suggest CPC if he want it the best, and ChipLab clays if want it faster and cheaper ones.
I have my own CPC:s which are so pretty, so nice, so good. Will post images later.
Anyways, my friend want it to go with ChipLab and I made a design for inlay graphics in four colors for Texas HoldEm games. Order was easy to make, customer service was perfect and shipping to Finland was only couple of days. Perfect.
I haven´t see those chips in live yet, but my friend love them. Will post about print and feel quality later.

I'm glad that your friend is very satisfied with the product. I've heard it can be very difficult for our European friends to get custom made chips of good quality at a decent price point.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your own CPC set!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom