Long-time regular loses his marbles (1 Viewer)

You can do many things to be a good host. I'm not saying step back, but it obviously shouldn't have resulted in someone storming out and yelling like what
That was a player choice, not a host choice. The host was consistent in enforcing the rules that have been in place for a long time, and the player got his panties in a wad over it.

You know how this sounds, right?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

In all seriousness, welcome to PCF. There are a lot of people around here who know a lot about running successful home games, and have been doing it for years and years. I'm sure you've got a lot to learn from them, and a lot to contribute as well.

shoot first, ask questions later :tup:

My list is 50 deep and I’ve filled a 10 person table 109 weeks in a row. My previous game tripled that feat. Knowing what’s right for a game is the hosts duty. I think I’ll be alright.

Lol you cherry-picked the first comment that said something about giving other people any slight control over their own experience. How's that for reputation?

Also, I'm not rich or dumb enough with money, to be spending thousands of dollars for a nice set of Paulson chips. That comes after I own a house. I can for sure offer people services though, but I'm not out for that either as it seems there are lots of skilled people on here.

But back to you, thanks for the warm welcome! I'll for sure remember your name moving forward. :) Good luck with your games, man. I think you'll get it figured out.
Well, I don’t know if I cherry picked anything but anyways… Thanks for the well wishes. With any luck my game will live on.

Welcome. Make friends. It’s so much more enjoyable for all of us here.

Blaming the host when a player gets belligerent after another player effectively declines checking down the hand is ridiculous.

It comes down to whether you want Mr Hot Head playing regularly and potentially ruining the vibe of the game with this kind of stuff.

It’s ok to ask, but no means no, shut the fuck up and play and don’t get all fucking pissy about it when your call-check it down-run it twice-I know I’m behind grand unified theory stratagem fails.

I know a thing or two about PCF. It's the users' duty to keep up engagement.
I keep my end of the bargain, that’s for sure. Unless we are playing cards we are all just waiting and shooting the shit until the chips we are waiting for get listed by somebody.

All games are non-existent without hosts.

Great point. (Unfortunate that it even needs to be said.)

Anyone who has made the effort to host for a sustained period, and to run a quality game, knows how much work and also diplomacy goes into it.

And that hosting can be a huge PITA, especially when players act like babies.

I decided to host simply because my rural area was lacking in well-run, fairly judged, aboveboard games.

An opportunity arose when the host of a good long-running game got divorced, and no longer had a suitable space to continue.

That game was a cut above most home games that I’d tried (mainly because the host had a fantastic room with a fireplace and pool table, and was well-respected by all).

But I saw ways to improve the game—we were then playing tourneys with odd structures. I also wanted to slowly upgrade the “infrastructure” of the game: better chips, cards, tables, chairs, lighting, food, music, screens etc.

I don’t expect to be thanked for the effort and the thought that goes into it—having a good game is all I need. But when players behave like nursery school brats who need to be told not to bite each other or pee on the floor, that is not going to stand.

And in fact while reading this thread I have also been deciding whether to suspend a problem player. The discussion here encourages me to take a harder rather than a softer line.

Last edited:
Great point. (Unfortunate that it even needs to be said.)

Anyone who has made the effort to host for a sustained period, and to run a quality game, knows how much work and also diplomacy goes into it.

And that hosting can be a huge PITA, especially when players act like babies.

I decided to host simply because my rural area was lacking in well-run, fairly judged, aboveboard games.

An opportunity arose when the host of a good long-running game got divorced, and no longer had a suitable space to continue.

That game was a cut above most home games that I’d tried (mainly because the host had a fantastic room with a fireplace and pool table, and was well-respected by all).

But I saw ways to improve the game—we were then playing tourneys with odd structures. I also wanted to slowly upgrade the “infrastructure” of the game: better chips, cards, tables, chairs, lighting, food, music, screens etc.

I don’t expect to be thanked for the effort and the thought that goes into it—having a good game is all I need. But when players behave like nursery school brats who need to be told not to bite each other or pee on the floor, that is not going to stand.

And in fact while reading this thread I have also been deciding whether to suspend a problem player. The discussion here encourages me to take a harder rather than a softer line.
I agree with this.

Being invited to a private hosted game is a privilege.

If a player wants to splash chips and act like a petulant child because they want special treatment when it comes to checking it down (playing soft) or trying to push the rules to their limits and present the host with theoretical hands and scenarios to justify their own outbursts, it's time for that player to leave.

They are in a private home or area, have been invited and presented with rules. It's on the player to decide if they want to abide by the rules or cash out and leave, and it's not reasonable to start arguing with the host in front of everyone about the validity of the rules themselves.

I agree with this.

Being invited to a private hosted game is a privilege.

If a player wants to splash chips and act like a petulant child because they want special treatment when it comes to checking it down (playing soft) or trying to push the rules to their limits and present the host with theoretical hands and scenarios to justify their own outbursts, it's time for that player to leave.

They are in a private home or area, have been invited and presented with rules. It's on the player to decide if they want to abide by the rules or cash out and leave, and it's not reasonable to start arguing with the host in front of everyone about the validity of the rules themselves.
We seriously considered booting a player because he criticized my wife cooking, deviled eggs in particular. He took one, took a bite, then made it a point to tell my wife that “next time she shouldn’t use as much mustard, because he doesn’t like mustard”.

GTFO of here. This is a guy that never even brought a bag of chips to a game, even on potluck nights.

There were other small issues, but we let it slide. He was divorced within a year of joining our game, that’s the kinda tact he demonstrated everywhere.

We seriously considered booting a player because he criticized my wife cooking, deviled eggs in particular. He took one, took a bite, then made it a point to tell my wife that “next time she shouldn’t use as much mustard, because he doesn’t like mustard”.

GTFO of here. This is a guy that never even brought a bag of chips to a game, even on potluck nights.

There were other small issues, but we let it slide. He was divorced within a year of joining our game, that’s the kinda tact he demonstrated everywhere.
My reg in question is why we had to stop ordering pizza. He would always dodge contributing but then cruise the leftovers and eat without paying.

We do this a ton. Idk why, but pretty much any table I play at does this. Maybe it's because people are playing well beyond what they're comfortable with? Too deepstacked? No clue.

But we'll regularly get down to 2 players and pick a number to "see it down". Generally there's no complaints from anyone. Most often, it's 2-3 people with REALLY non premium hands in circus games that want to gambol and pick a number (usually somewhere in the $1-$300 range) and run it down.
Yeah that’s a reasonable reaction when you’re playing gamble-ass circus games where your options are essentially pot or fold. I’ve played those games (they’re not always real poker but they’re definitely real gambling) and they can be real fun. But even in those circumstances, “check it down?” is real weinie. Sounds a lot like a game I once heard of that they called the Cadillac of poker, where even the pros couldn’t handle the swings.

They still haven't found the body.

There’s some wild examples given throughout this thread and forum in general about weird players and their baffoonery.

If I’m a guest, I will behave and present as the absolute best guest I can be. I’ll leave the home cleaner than when I arrived, chip in on any food provided, hell I think it’s even normal to shit before I leave - because you shouldn’t be shitting at another man’s home unless it’s an emergency…

However, as a host, I 100% expect my guests to abide and accept all house rules, follow all guidance from me, and to absolutely never challenge or threaten the game with bad behavior…. That’s an absolute hard line - and it can end in you leaving quickly, and maybe even uncomfortable if need be.

Be a good guest.
Be a good host.
Both are easy to do.

My reg in question is why we had to stop ordering pizza. He would always dodge contributing but then cruise the leftovers and eat without paying.

I had a roommate like this freshman year of college.

There were five guys in the suite, and I proposed sharing the cost of a daily newspaper subscription, which could be delivered early every morning to our door. (This was pre-internet.)

Only one guy said he wasn’t interested, so the rest of us split it four ways.

After a couple months we discovered that the fifth wheel was waking up early just after the paper was delivered, reading it, then carefully folding it back together and replacing it on the doormat.

Sophomore year, we all continued to room together, except the newsgrifter.

I had a roommate like this freshman year of college.

There were five guys in the suite, and I proposed sharing the cost of a daily newspaper subscription, which could be delivered early every morning to our door. (This was pre-internet.)

Only one guy said he wasn’t interested, so the rest of us split it four ways.

After a couple months we discovered that the fifth wheel was waking up early just after the paper was delivered, reading it, then carefully folding it back together and replacing it on the doormat.

Sophomore year, we all continued to room together, except the newsgrifter.
I had a roommate that was exactly like this.

And he wondered why nobody wanted to room with him the year after..

It's funny because the same kind of person is who the OP is complaining about. It's someone with zero self-awareness and then turns around and complains that everyone else is an asshole because they don't want to play with him/her.

If you think everyone else is an asshole or the problem, you are most likely the problem.

Last edited:
seriously? I'm sometimes amazed at how selfish people can be. Even things like winning $104.75, and letting the host pay him $105. I always say very publicly, something like "It's $228 total, but just give me $220" hoping everyone will follow suit. A few of them just don't get it.

seriously? I'm sometimes amazed at how selfish people can be. Even things like winning $104.75, and letting the host pay him $105. I always say very publicly, something like "It's $228 total, but just give me $220" hoping everyone will follow suit. A few of them just don't get it.
This guy has done that too.

This guy has done that too.
You used to have pizza at the games??? That would be so nice since I have a longer drive than most and often don't have time to eat before I leave home. I usually just cruise through McDs, then eat in front of your house before I come in. I didn't realize there were so many other issues with him.

You used to have pizza at the games??? That would be so nice since I have a longer drive than most and often don't have time to eat before I leave home. I usually just cruise through McDs, then eat in front of your house before I come in. I didn't realize there were so many other issues with him.
None of its awful...but all rather annoying.

Whataburger or subway, FTW.

There is one of each on N Main, just north of the game.

You can pick up and still observe your curb dining ritual.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom