Latest Aruba Palm Beach $1 mockups (1 Viewer)

Which option do you prefer?

• Total voters
12 point shallow(est) star for me.

Sorry to be "that" guy, but if you're looking for honest input, I don't really like the new blue chip with this set for the $1. I think your previous $1 was better. But finding a good blue $1 with matching edge spots is pretty damn difficult for this set. I remember spending countless hours trying to find one that would fit with the Yosemite Inn set. Definitely a daunting task. Good luck either way, still an awesome set!

I don't recall asking for honest input, and frankly I would prefer everyone to just continue to tell me how awesome the new blue $1 chips are so I don't have to look back :p

Kidding aside, I have mixed feelings about the new chip as well. This particular blue chip is by no means perfect. The base color is darker than I would prefer and it doesn't provide nearly as much contrast with the $5 and $25 in poor lighting as the white $1 does. On the other hand, there are things I do prefer about the current blue chip over the previous white $1 chip. I think the single color 312 spots feel more authentic to the set than the 314 tri-color spots of the Horseshoe. I also like the fact that I'll be able to do a shaped (non-circle) inlay on these, something that wasn't possible on the previous chips. But overall it's a close call, and one that I was much more on the fence about than you might think. So much so that I actually haven't listed the 280 near-mint Cleveland $1 for sale yet just in case... :whistle: :whistling:

Just to add some more pron to the thread, here are the blues in stacks to contrast with the rest of the set.

IMG_6700.JPG

Well clearly you're never going to be happy with the set so might as well just throw it away and focus on something you'll like.

Just let me know what day garbage pick up is so I can rescue them.

:)

Keep both $1 chips, and just rotate them into play based on current lighting conditions and whether or not you are using quarters that day. :rolleyes:

Also I think the eight point is the way to go.

I was also going to make another suggestion that will get the pitchforks out but you could do a faux inlay on your frac in the future.

Edit: then as suggested above you can keep both $1's

I was also going to make another suggestion that will get the pitchforks out but you could do a faux inlay on your frac in the future.
I'm at work without easy access to images or I'd be all over this. :mad:

Well clearly you're never going to be happy with the set so might as well just throw it away and focus on something you'll like.

Just let me know what day garbage pick up is so I can rescue them.

:)

I'm clearly not happy unless I'm (overly) obsessing over a decision.

Keep both $1 chips, and just rotate them into play based on current lighting conditions. :rolleyes:

I guess that falls under the general advice "more chips are always better"

:eek:
I don't recall asking for honest input, and frankly I would prefer everyone to just continue to tell me how awesome the new blue $1 chips are so I don't have to look back :p

Kidding aside, I have mixed feelings about the new chip as well. This particular blue chip is by no means perfect. The base color is darker than I would prefer and it doesn't provide nearly as much contrast with the $5 and $25 in poor lighting as the white $1 does. On the other hand, there are things I do prefer about the current blue chip over the previous white $1 chip. I think the single color 312 spots feel more authentic to the set than the 314 tri-color spots of the Horseshoe. I also like the fact that I'll be able to do a shaped (non-circle) inlay on these, something that wasn't possible on the previous chips. But overall it's a close call, and one that I was much more on the fence about than you might think. So much so that I actually haven't listed the 280 near-mint Cleveland $1 for sale yet just in case... :whistle: :whistling:

Just to add some more pron to the thread, here are the blues in stacks to contrast with the rest of the set.

View attachment 112568
If the blue is too dark maybe you could get a few racks of spotted flamingos! :eek::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This type of back and forth trying to find the perfect chip is what led me to customs. Just saying. ;)

You see how I can obsess over a couple of relatively simple decisions, do you really want to be part of a process where I have to make dozens and dozens of difficult decisions?

If the blue is too dark maybe you could get a few racks of spotted flamingos! :eek::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You laugh but I spent a solid 5 minutes in my rental car in the Target parking lot just down the street from the Flamingo with a utility knife (bought at said Target) assessing how easy/hard it would be to remove the inlays from Flamingo chips to convert them into Aruba Palm chips. If they were fairly easy to remove, like the Horseshoe $1 chips, I was going to go back and harvest a couple racks. Turns out that they're one of the tougher ones to remove, at least without scraping (for comparison, the Horseshoe inlays generally come off intact with a utility knife if you're careful).

IMG_2030.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's what he wanted to use as his frac with full inlay replacement.

Edit: too slow as people keep wanting to talk to me about work.

You laugh but I spent a solid 5 minutes in my rental car in the Target parking lot just down the street from the Flamingo with a utility knife (bought at said Target) assessing how easy/hard it would be to remove the inlays from Flamingo chips to convert them into Aruba Palm chips. If they were fairly easy to remove, like the Horseshoe $1 chips, I was going to go back and harvest a couple racks. Turns out that they're one of the tougher ones to remove, at least without scraping (for comparison, the Horseshoe inlays generally come off intact with a utility knife if you're careful).

View attachment 112571
You are one sick puppy. And confirmed chip murderer.

The Dr. Frankenchip of the poker chip set hobby.

View attachment 112584
This is exactly why all spotted flamingos must be immediately sent to the flamingo sanctuary. Make sure they go to the sanctuary below as all other santctuaries are not recognized as an "official" flamingo sanctuary!
IMG_2211.JPG

Reactions: 72o
You are one sick puppy. And confirmed chip murderer.

The Dr. Frankenchip of the poker chip set hobby.

The conversation with @Mrs. Bentax that day went something like this:

Hey honey, how's Vegas going?

Going great, having a ton of fun. Just got done with dinner where I had way too much to drink. At the Spearmint Rhino now getting a lap dance from a ridiculously hot stripper.

I don't believe you.

Ok fine. I just stopped at Target to buy a utility knife so I could see how difficult it would be to remove the inlays from a couple rack of Flamingo chips so I can decide whether or not to go back and harvest a few racks.

Sadly, that I believe. Have fun!

I should also mention that the final inlay shape choice will also depend on what is technically feasible in terms of milling using the CNC and how it looks on a real prototype. While I depicted the star with a slight rounding of the points, I don't know exactly how sharp the tooling on the CNC will allow. It could be that the peaks have to be a bit rounder due to the bit size. Once I work with @Gear to figure that out I'll have a better idea of what each option might look like in reality.

Ok, back to the derail...

Here's one last mockup I played around with tonight. I think it gives a pretty good progression and looks different enough from the $5 and $25 without being too complicated (which I don't want for a $1 chip). I think it would also work well with a round inlay frac on the other side of it.

shallow(est) smooth star
ABP shaped 10.jpg

Decided to put this away for a week and proverbially sleep on it. In the meantime the chips have been shipped to @Gear, so things are still moving forward.

After looking back on all the iterations and ideas, I've decided to switch things up a bit in the interest of both (1) maintaing some level of inlay progression and (2) keeping the $1 inlay as distinct as possible from the $5/25 inlays.

IMG_7244.JPG

What? No fracs? ;)

I had @Gear make a few frac prototypes, but I’m not 100% sold on them yet. They work, but they share a spot color with the $5 chip, which isn’t ideal. If I can find a good 312 option, I’ll go for it. Otherwise I’ll likely end up using a rack of solids (still have to decide on a color).

98A8D02C-5A77-4AF7-8F3A-FEB0268CAA5B.jpeg

Last edited:
They work, but they share a spot color with the $5 chip, which isn’t ideal.
Looking at that lineup, it's hard to imagine what spot color would be better. Certainly not red, blue, black, gray, tan/peach/yellow, or pink. What else is left? Purple? Orange?

Personally, I think the green is fine, although this would be stellar (and inlay mutilation/replacement punishable by death):

39941.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom