Latest Aruba Palm Beach $1 mockups (1 Viewer)

Which option do you prefer?

• Total voters

bentax1978

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
So I've changed my mind yet again, no big surprise. I thought I had found the perfect chip to convert into an Aruba Palm Beach $1 when I acquired several mint racks of Horseshoe Cleveland $1 last year. And while I do love that chip, I recently found another option I think will work better. It's a simplier chip that fits into the progression very well (imo). In addition, because it's a hotstamp, I have the option to have @Gear mill shaped recesses and apply shaped laminated labels. That is the direction I am leaning, but wanted to solicit other opinions before I make my final decision.

In addition to the $1 chip, I plan to have a barrel or two of $500 chips milled as well (from CVB $2 chips). I think a hexagon looks good there, but am open to other suggestions as well.

Current top choices

12-point shallow star
abp-shaped-5-jpg.112384

8-point star
abp-shaped-7-jpg.112409

older options attached below

Attachments

• IMG_6894.JPG
    IMG_6894.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_6895.JPG
    IMG_6895.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_6896.JPG
    IMG_6896.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Sweet set, I really like how the new addition goes with the set. I actually prefer the shaped inlay, it throws me seeing only one chip with a regular inlay.

I love the Chip that you will be using for the set. I think it works very well. I am not sure about the shape since it is very similar to the $25 but that is only my opinion. I almost prefer the inlay in the first picture. Almost like an inlay progression.

Either way I think you nailed the $1

David O

I like the round inlay on the $1 better than the shaped inlay. The shape of the shaped inlay on the $1 is too close to the shape of the inlay on the $25 for me personally.

Love the hexagon on the $500 though!

Edit - @David O beat me to it.

That one looks perfect for the set. Tough call, but ended up voting circle. Good luck!

I love the Chip that you will be using for the set. I think it works very well. I am not sure about the shape since it is very similar to the $25 but that is only my opinion. I almost prefer the inlay in the first picture. Almost like an inlay progression.

David O

I agree, the shape does look a little close to the shape of the $25 inlay. I might try and tweak it a bit to make the peaks and valleys a little smaller. This will serve to both differentiate the shape from the $25 as well as make it looks a little more circular and less complex (hopefully).

I'm not against doing a circle for the $1, however given that I have the option to go shaped, I don't want to miss out if it's the better choice for the set. In addition, going shaped on the $1 chip gives me an option to add a $0.25 down the road, perhaps a solid with a circle inlay.

I agree, the shape does look a little close to the shape of the $25 inlay. I might try and tweak it a bit to make the peaks and valleys a little smaller. This will serve to both differentiate the shape from the $25 as well as make it looks a little more circular and less complex (hopefully).

I'm not against doing a circle for the $1, however given that I have the option to go shaped, I don't want to miss out if it's the better choice for the set. In addition, going shaped on the $1 chip gives me an option to add a $0.25 down the road, perhaps a solid with a circle inlay.
I can see that. A nice shape that looks good in progression and leaves you th option for a frac. With the updated info I might have to change my vote. Do not change the chip!! This is the perfect chip for the set!

I can see that. A nice shape that looks good in progression and leaves you th option for a frac. With the updated info I might have to change my vote. Do not change the chip!! This is the perfect chip for the set!

Here's another possibility for the $1 (ignore that it's slightly off-center and rotated, just mocked it up quickly). It might look a little too close to the $5 now, but somewhat softer.

ABP shaped 4.jpg

That could actually work. It progresses nicely. King of in between a circle and a hub.

I'm sure gear could tweak it a bit further. I'm limited by finding images on google image search and using the outline to create my mockups. I don't actually know how to go about actually creating the shapes from scratch.

Interesting side note, the last shape was from the below image (a coin from Bangladesh)

bagl10poisha.jpg

Sweet set, I really like how the new addition goes with the set.

That one looks perfect for the set.

This times a billion!!!!

I think this is (finally) the one I'm going to commit to. Here are some of the previous candidates that almost made the cut over the last 5+ years (yes, I've been working on this on and off for over half a decade now).

other apb ones.jpg

Last edited:
Chip color & spot progression: nailed it!

Inlay: I think I'd prefer the round inlay (round is a shape). But if going with a "shaped" inlay I'd honestly go with option #2 (picture #3). I think if fits the flow slightly better with the $5 & $25. It's just a better optic for me.

Paris $1?

Just trying to save a poor innocent hot stamp.

The Paris $1 is one of my favorite chips, but just wouldn't work well as a $1 in this set because of its spots (both the 1/8" size and the fact that there's four positions). Besides, if I went with an inlayed chip, I'd remove the inlays for this project to get the best final product. As it is a few dozen chips have already died in the process of finishing this set :sneaky:

So you destroyed those poor minty Horseshoe Cleveland $1s and now you're not even going to use them?

...dibs

Chip color & spot progression: nailed it!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about the chip itself. It really is close to perfect for this application. As soon as I saw them pop up for sale I snapped them up as I knew they were potentially "the one".

Inlay: I think I'd prefer the round inlay (round is a shape). But if going with a "shaped" inlay I'd honestly go with option #2 (picture #3). I think if fits the flow slightly better with the $5 & $25. It's just a better optic for me.

The round provides the better inlay progression, though it does preclude me from doing a frac (likely a solid frac with a round inlay) down the road if I want unique inlay shapes. I'm really torn overall on which direction to go.

So you destroyed those poor minty Horseshoe Cleveland $1s and now you're not even going to use them?

...dibs

I "only" destroyed a barrel of them out of 300. Plus they're not really destroyed, just naked without their inlay :)

And yes, now that I've acquired these, the Horseshoes are potentially up for grabs :whistle: :whistling:

Star inlay for the $1, leaving round for frac if you go that route. Hex looks good for $500.

Like the new blue $1. (y) :thumbsup:

Great chip for the set. I would probably try the star inlay.

Guess I should have refreshed before posting.

I changed my vote since you said you may add a frac which could be round. I still like the new shape you have but agree that the star could work as well.

Good luck and now all you need to do is invite us all over to play when you get them done.

David

Shallow Star for the $1s and Apple for the fracs for me... If Apple shape not "millable" then the Bangladesh coin shape for the frac... No round shape imo.

Last edited:
I LOVE this set man! Nice work putting this together.

How about an inlay shape like CPC's tri-moon? Basically the apple shape above but with 3 notches instead of 4.

CB31D813-5E7E-4368-9850-920073B1688D.png

How about an inlay shape like CPC's tri-moon? Basically the apple shape above but with 3 notches instead of 4.

That shape would also have the same issues/limitations in terms of milling the recess. Since the CNC bit isn't infinitely small, it's not possible to make a sharp inside corner. So the corners like the ones in the red circle below would have to be radiused a bit. Not necessarily a terrible thing, but something to keep in mind as there are technical limitations to milling the recess (die cutting the labels to any shape isn't an issue).

IMG_6902.jpg

Reactions: 72o
That shape would also have the same issues/limitations in terms of milling the recess. Since the CNC bit isn't infinitely small, it's not possible to make a sharp inside corner. So the corners like the ones in the red circle below would have to be radiused a bit. Not necessarily a terrible thing, but something to keep in mind as there are technical limitations to milling the recess (die cutting the labels to any shape isn't an issue).

View attachment 112317
Oops sorry I missed your previous post saying that the apple shape couldn't be done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom