Laser Engraving Experiment (3 Viewers)

Coyotesetter

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
My wife got a laser engraver. Needless to say, I put her to work immediately. Now I need MANY more Unicorns.
Has anyone else played with this before? Any insights are greatly appreciated. I hate sacrificing chips for no reason.

Attachments

• 20240326_203650.jpg
    20240326_203650.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 20240325_125506.jpg
    20240325_125506.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 20240324_162221.jpg
    20240324_162221.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 187
My wife got a laser engraver. Needless to say, I put her to work immediately. Now I need MANY more Unicorns.
Has anyone else played with this before? Any insights are greatly appreciated. I hate sacrificing chips for no reason.
Cool! I have not tried it yet. My laser is in storage. Unicorns are a fine chip to experiment on (not a lot of value). Would be great though to see some experiments on clay chips and ceramics. I'm curious.

Cool! I have not tried it yet. My laser is in storage. Unicorns are a fine chip to experiment on (not a lot of value). Would be great though to see some experiments on clay chips and ceramics. I'm curious.
I'm getting there. If you know anyone who has unicorns let me know. I want to build a big six table set.

Looks great! My only comment is that your designs are basic. Can the laser do much more intricate designs, like the Zen Matsuis or detailed city silhouettes?
Absolutely. I've just had the line drawn bear in my head for a while. I will fire a couple things up in the next week or so.

Intressting that the lasered part looks blackish on the unicorns but on lasered faux clays the color is pretty much the same as the base material. Same with the ASMs posted by @louBdub .

Please keep in mind that lasering these plastics frees some nasty stuff you don't want to breathe in. Always keep a good ventilation in the room.
Besides that, we tested some Faux Clays but no matter what parameters i changed, it was always either to strong or to weak for the material.
I'll edit this comment with pictures when i find them.

Can you share what laser machine you exactly use?

These were my best attempts with a 30w fibre laser
You can see how the laser just removed the colors, nothing more nothing less. Oj the White one you can see a little bit, but if i increase the power just a little bit, or leave the power as it is and decrease the speed, the chips tend to burn almost instantly...

IMG-20230307-WA0013.jpg

Please keep in mind that lasering these plastics frees some nasty stuff you don't want to breathe in. Always keep a good ventilation in the room.
Besides that, we tested some Faux Clays but no matter what parameters i changed, it was always either to strong or to weak for the material.
I'll edit this comment with pictures when i find them.
Yes. Everything is vented straight out our door with an auxiliary inline fan. I'm going to start experimenting with different materials very soon.

These were my best attempts with a 30w fibre laser
You can see how the laser just removed the colors, nothing more nothing less. Oj the White one you can see a little bit, but if i increase the power just a little bit, or leave the power as it is and decrease the speed, the chips tend to burn almost instantly...

View attachment 1299974
Very nice. When set to "engrave" those are very similar results to what I got. My chips are all set to "cut", so a lot more material is being removed. Had a few small.fires but figured out the balance between power and speed.

I think that depends on the results you are aiming for.
Personally i tryed to get this depth you can see in @200 Motels post:
I happen to have one of these laser chips.

View attachment 1299870

If you are aiming for this outline design you've got there, then the burning is not that bad besides the bumbs it can create.

I think that depends on the results you are aiming for.
Personally i tryed to get this depth you can see in @200 Motels post:

If you are aiming for this outline design you've got there, then the burning is not that bad besides the bumbs it can create.
Very cool. My wife's machine is pretty small, and a bit limiting in features. We are looking at getting a much bigger and more powerful one in the next while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom