Tourney Some Questions About Tournament Play (1 Viewer)

BigSlick4523

Full House
Reaction score
Hi all just got a couple of questions about a tournament we play once a month

breakdown - its 24 people once a month for 7 months you get to drop your lowest score once out of the 7 months

top 10 people who have the highest points make the final table

we play for $50ea month top 5 spots pay out every month and we all put $210 into the final table month

my couple of questions are

we start off with 6k in chips blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 20 minutes

do you think that is an ok starting amount ? or should we be starting with more ? I was thinking maybe more like 8-10k starting stacks

also we cap the blinds at 2,000/4,000 we always have 21- all 24 players there every time people rarely miss months

so when the blinds get capped at 2,000/4,000 there is maybe 5 people left at the table if that

but at that amount 4,000 being the big blind there is only 31-36 big blinds at the table

also what is the right amount of time to call a clock on someone ?

id say 21 of us out of 24 play nice and fast we don't waste time but there is 3 well really 2 players that take forever every time they are in a pot

these guys are very good players basically make the final table every time but they think for so long every single time

they play as if they ae at the final table of the wsop for 10k buy in its insane

doesn't matter if its 25/50 blinds and there is 400 in the pot sometimes they tank for 2-4 mins sometimes

also I try to get 2 decks going but nobody was having that so we don't do that which is a bummer

anyways yeah just a couple of questions this is my 2nd out of 3 years playing I played in 2021-22 missed the final table by like 3 pts I was mad lol missed last yr 2022-23 and played again this year 2023-24

it is a fun time all very nice people I have a blast but those couple things just kinda get under my skin the short chip stack starting the tanking by a few players and the no 2 decks in play so u can get to see more hands

any advice would be greatly appreciated

do you think that is an ok starting amount ? or should we be starting with more ? I was thinking maybe more like 8-10k starting stacks
I think 6K is an ok starting amount. 8K or 10K would probably be fine too. So long as the tournament fits within your desired timeframe, you are doing okay. That said, seeing the full structure might help.

also we cap the blinds at 2,000/4,000 we always have 21- all 24 players there every time people rarely miss months

so when the blinds get capped at 2,000/4,000 there is maybe 5 people left at the table if that

but at that amount 4,000 being the big blind there is only 31-36 big blinds at the table
Hmm, I am not sure what purpose "capping" the blinds serves. I do often have tournaments end around 40BB, very rarely have we gotten down to the 20BB level, but at some point the tournament does have to end and continual blind increases facilitate that goal.

also what is the right amount of time to call a clock on someone ?

id say 21 of us out of 24 play nice and fast we don't waste time but there is 3 well really 2 players that take forever every time they are in a pot

these guys are very good players basically make the final table every time but they think for so long every single time

they play as if they ae at the final table of the wsop for 10k buy in its insane

doesn't matter if its 25/50 blinds and there is 400 in the pot sometimes they tank for 2-4 mins sometimes
Probably a wide range of opinion on this, I imagine some would say more, others are fine with less, but my opinion in a 20 minute level game would be after 60 seconds someone should call clock. If it's a repeat offender, I could see starting to call at 30 seconds or less.

Taking 4 minutes out of 20 is 20% of the level. An entire level can be lost in 5 tanks, just not excusable. Something should be done.

Hope this helps.

I think 6K is an ok starting amount. 8K or 10K would probably be fine too. So long as the tournament fits within your desired timeframe, you are doing okay. That said, seeing the full structure might help.

Hmm, I am not sure what purpose "capping" the blinds serves. I do often have tournaments end around 40BB, very rarely have we gotten down to the 20BB level, but at some point the tournament does have to end and continual blind increases facilitate that goal.

Probably a wide range of opinion on this, I imagine some would say more, others are fine with less, but my opinion in a 20 minute level game would be after 60 seconds someone should call clock. If it's a repeat offender, I could see starting to call at 30 seconds or less.

Taking 4 minutes out of 20 is 20% of the level. An entire level can be lost in 5 tanks, just not excusable. Something should be done.

Hope this helps.
yeah we have one guy who starts a clock on him everytime lol but yeah man its bad makes me not even want to play in the league anymore because of it the 2 people think they are phil hellmuth going for his 18th bracelet

I don't think the blinds should be capped, but, that's just me. That's part of the tourney structure/strategy. I could see upping the starting stacks a bit, don't cap the blinds, and let it play out.

As far as the tanking/time, I would allow one 60 second tank, then clock. Once you've been on the clock twice your time drops to 30 seconds before clock.

I don't think the blinds should be capped, but, that's just me. That's part of the tourney structure/strategy. I could see upping the starting stacks a bit, don't cap the blinds, and let it play out.

As far as the tanking/time, I would allow one 60 second tank, then clock. Once you've been on the clock twice your time drops to 30 seconds before clock.
yeah I think everyone is scared to step up and say soemthing but I act fast no matter what so its just not fair to us who dont take forever I mean these dude think out every street and what everyone did and all that which good that makes u a good player just dont take forever while doing it esp when the pots and blinds ae not huge yet

A minute to think is really a long time. You should be able to work through it inside of a minute.

cappinf the blinds at 2/4k hasnt seemed to really matter that much cause once it gets to like 4 maybe 3 people thats when the blinds are that big then there is only like 30-35 bbs to go around so when it gets to that low of amount of people it usually goes pretty fast

but I agree as well the blinds should not be capped

we are on our last month next month before the final table so I am just trying to come up with some sugg for next year

A minute to think is really a long time.
man blinds will be like 100-200 bet will be like 500 and sometimes this guy takes legit like 2 mins to think what hes gonna do

its not like blinds are 1,000-2,000 ur at the final table and its for all your chips you know then its like ok take alil bit of time but other than that its just horrible

man blinds will be like 100-200 bet will be like 500 and sometimes this guy takes legit like 2 mins to think what hes gonna do
If you get push back this is how I would frame it.

The levels are only 20 minutes, absolutely unfair for this player to feel entitled to 2 minutes any time he wants given how much of the structure that eats. Everyone else probably does 98% of their actions in less than 60 seconds. Most of those are probably just a few seconds. In the WSOP Main Event, levels are 120 minutes, taking two minutes there is different. I could see an occasion to give someone this much leeway once or twice in a tournament in a big river spot. But not in common preflop spots at all.

Also, I guess I am unsure, is this a game you run, or just play in?

If you get push back this is how I would frame it.

The levels are only 20 minutes, absolutely unfair for this player to feel entitled to 2 minutes any time he wants given how much of the structure that eats. Everyone else probably does 98% of their actions in less than 60 seconds. Most of those are probably just a few seconds. In the WSOP Main Event, levels are 120 minutes, taking two minutes there is different. I could see an occasion to give someone this much leeway once or twice in a tournament in a big river spot. But not in common preflop spots at all.

Also, I guess I am unsure, is this a game you run, or just play in?
he never takes that much time preflop but when the hand is in play if he makes it to a turn or river watch out and its damn near everytime he could have like 3 pair on the board and take forever then fold its insane

just a game I play in its my 2nd year playing but some of the stuff I see makes me not wanna play in it anymore

also Ive been trying to push for 2 decks esp cause the blinds are every 20mins they are not having it I get some people are there to just have a good time etc. but with the levels that long u barely see any hands

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom