Kem, Copag, or Modiano? (2 Viewers)

From the article.

A new jumbo index playing card was used at WSOP Europe with few complaints. "We believe this new size, this new thickness is giving us a much better card than we had in the past, one we can be proud to have on the table," Stewart said, saying that WSOP officials will experiment with various permutations during the ongoing Circuit.
???? Im confused. I believe the article is saying that the jumbo size had "few" complaints, as in not many people had an issue. I know they are using Modiano becuase they signed a multi year agreement with them prior to 2015

@charlie96792
You need to start a new thread if you want feedback on the wear of GOCC ceramic chips - if only to highlight your request for info as people who have this info may not be reading a thread about cards!

@charlie96792
You need to start a new thread if you want feedback on the wear of GOCC ceramic chips - if only to highlight your request for info as people who have this info may not be reading a thread about cards!

On my phone, getting ready for work, no time to do mod stuff, yes, he should absolutely create a new thread. Thx for steering him in the right direction.

In my experience, I think these!!!...are the most durable, best looking and best feeling cards. They look exactly like KEM only incredibly durable.

They are (iirc) manufactured by Fournier which is owned by USPC. USPC bought Kem and ruined them. They were smart enough to leave Fournier alone to do their thing, which is why I LOVE Fourniers in bridge. I have a couple set ups of these. for the record, they are duplicates of the traditional "Bicycle" theme that USPC owns and has produced in paper stock for millennia.

JDesjgn make GREAT cards. The biggest attraction, and thus the biggest drawback, are the unique pip designs. when your fours look like threes to the casual observer, that is an issue, particularly when money is on the line. I have a set-up. They are a great card to riffle, they slide well on my table and my topper, but my players find them too distracting. They only see scant use..

The notation of a new index does not preclude these from being Modianos, it just means that they might have redesigned them to make things easier on the eye, or more appealing in appearance. Jeez, now I have to go buy MORE?!?

Bought a few sets of Divinci by Modiano and they feel great. I am definitely not a card expert, but these just are smooth.

Bought a few sets of Divinci by Modiano and they feel great. I am definitely not a card expert, but these just are smooth.

the Da Vincis are manufactured with the same stock as Modiano's regular lines. the backs are more "artistic" than traditional cardroom designs, which I think is why they stuck an alternate name on them. I have two set-ups and they will occasionally see play when I want to use something "different". the only issue I have with them is that the difference between the "red" and the "blue" decks is sometimes a little difficult to discern quickly. When I use them, it is either for a two table game, where I split the set-ups, or I use a single deck only for a one table cash game.

I like Kem and Copag. Modiano acetate is great but expensive (so are Dal Negro), Copag is probably the best best value, just wish they would last longer before fading

the Da Vincis are manufactured with the same stock as Modiano's regular lines. the backs are more "artistic" than traditional cardroom designs, which I think is why they stuck an alternate name on them. I have two set-ups and they will occasionally see play when I want to use something "different". the only issue I have with them is that the difference between the "red" and the "blue" decks is sometimes a little difficult to discern quickly. When I use them, it is either for a two table game, where I split the set-ups, or I use a single deck only for a one table cash game.
I have some Davinci Persianos which see regular play. The backing on them is pretty distinctively different.

Never warmed up to the bizarre suits treatments. Had an early production set-up years ago, used one deck a couple of times, gave away the other one. I now suffer through them monthly at the Hitching Post tournaments. They play okay, I just don't like how they look.
Sorry to make you suffer Dave!

I like Kem and Copag. Modiano acetate is great but expensive (so are Dal Negro), Copag is probably the best best value, just wish they would last longer before fading

For good value I would always recommend the Modiano Texas Poker decks. They come in single tuck-boxes but with 8 different backs and retail for about $7 a deck (much less direct from Brybelly). Pretty much the same design as the Platinum Acetate but no security ink. I particularly enjoy the selection of cards - "tonight we'll play an orange deck and a purple...".

I agree with the other comments that for bridge sized cards Fournier are great. I actually don't mind the Copags for bridge sized cards as well.

I have some Davinci Persianos which see regular play. The backing on them is pretty distinctively different.

Have not seen the Persianos. I bought Sorrentos and the other type that Caragails first had for sale. Basically a thin border of blue or red around the ornate patterning. If you look on their site, they have better offerings that ARE more varied in colouring, but the two I have are pretty close.

Have not seen the Persianos. I bought Sorrentos and the other type that Caragails first had for sale. Basically a thin border of blue or red around the ornate patterning. If you look on their site, they have better offerings that ARE more varied in colouring, but the two I have are pretty close.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456410560.361680.jpg

These are one of a few sets in my regular rotation.

It's funny, I love my JDesign cards but never realized they were controversial.

Your post claims the Copags are the best value, then you reference that they don't last as long before fading. The Copags are ok cards, but value involves more than being cheap. If you have to buy three-four decks of Copags for every deck of Modiano PA, then the better value is clear.

It's funny, I love my JDesign cards but never realized they were controversial.

Like yourself, I love the Desjgn cards as well. But I can see how they wouldn't be to everyone's liking.

I personally don't like Copags (I find the blocky font they use ugly), but I have no issues playing in a game that uses them. To each their own.

Gemaco SuperFlex, Modiano Platinum Acetate, and Fournier Congress are pretty much all I use these days. I really liked the old Piatnik cards, but they don't make 'em anymore.

Started out with Copag many years ago, but there are much nicer cards out there. Kem cards suck, unless you like warped decks. Best budget cards - by far - are Bicycle Prestige (made by Fournier). Just can't beat four bucks per deck.
You sure they stopped making the Piatniks, BG? Because I bought 2 setups of these about 3 months ago at a gaming shop in Vienna (see attached photos). They had a ton of different kinds, including the jumbo index from the big card review thread--I just bought these because I wanted poker size and regular index.

Not trying to call you out, just thought you might be interested as the reason I bought them was due to your raving about them in the other thread. And fwiw, they are indeed brilliant--the favorite of all my setups (have the Modiano Platinums, two different kinds of Fourniers, and the Desjns).

Attachments

• IMG_20160226_235227140.jpg
    IMG_20160226_235227140.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20160226_235259893.jpg
    IMG_20160226_235259893.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 194
I have seen Piatnik Plastic setups on eBay from an international seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172108877011

I have a couple of setups of standard Piatnik's, not plastic but paper plastic coated cards, and they are top-notch quality. Have been tempted to pick up some of the plastic cards but they are rather pricey almost $50 a setup.

Yeah, $50 is a lot. Pretty sure I paid €24.99. Definitely wasn't more, but might have been a little cheaper.

Piatnik make a nice card, but that pricing is way too much.

Ghoti, that is the same set-up I own.
And thanks for that review! Should have said "part of the reason" in previous post. But for some reason I thought you had the bridge size jumbo index--had to go back and check.

You sure they stopped making the Piatniks, BG? Because I bought 2 setups of these about 3 months ago at a gaming shop in Vienna (see attached photos).
I have seen Piatnik Plastic setups on eBay from an international seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172108877011

Those are both similar to my Piatnik cards, which are 4-pip / bridge size / standard index (purchased from now-defunct Trident for less than $20/setup):

piatnik-4pip-ace.jpg
piatnik-4pip-back.jpg
piatnik-4pip-king.jpg

Kardwell still carries Piatnik cards, but no longer carries any plastic versions. I suspect the cards you found in Vienna (and the cards on eBay) are new old stock. The Piatnik web site no longer offers them, either.

According to this web site, they are available at a number of retail locations in London:
http://gibsonsgames.co.uk/blog/cards/100-plastic-double-deck/

P2364_1.jpg

Not plastic.

Last edited:
I sent some Piatnik to Redbelly as part of his guessathon prize. Still available but not easy to locate. Got mine on Amazon

I have used kem WSOP cards, copaqs and I have a bunch of gemaco weave poker cards. I really like the durability and thickness of the gemaco weave cards best but they don't last long and mark easily. Few females who play and have marked the cards easily with their nails, plus possibility of a former player marking cards. I also don't like that the gemaco weave has no border to it. Had a few mis printed cards and could tell( never went into play though).

The copaq are great cards but very thin and flimsy. I have been using them as of late, but want to upgrade to something better when I have cash games.

I love using the wsop cards for my tournaments but a little flimsy for my taste. Have not purchased any modianos or fourniers but like the look of both. Based on who used them, are they both thicker cards? It seems to be what I prefer ....

Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom