Cancelled New BROKEN ARROW CARDROOM Setups!! Bridge/Jumbo (2 Viewers)

There's been a lot of hoopla over these BROKEN ARROW card setups.

Meanwhile, John Travolta is over here saying....
john-travolta-broken-arrow.gif

jurassic park film GIF

Since Justin is going to replace the cards from this initial order, I felt comfortable doing some experimenting. I designed stencils based on the actual card size and recreated the same shape club, as well as put in an upside-down one and a "broken" one, and with my Cricut and cardstock made these:

1689620435912.png

Then I used Sharpie "Extreme" to fill in the stencils (I only tried the normal and upside-down; I had tried the "broken" one on paper but the details were too fine and the Sharpie couldn't get it right). The results were ... mixed:

1689620514235.png

The stem of the club is really difficult to fill in, and the sharpie does not cover as evenly. I did an upside-down one because I figure it'll be obvious it's drawn in so I wanted to put a twist in it.

I did do some tests for potential ink transfer, and they were heartening. First I made sure to let the ink dry completely. I then pressed down with a paper towel and saw no transfer. I wetted my finger and touched the drawn-in clubs and there was no bleed or leak as far as I could tell. Blotting the cards afterwards did not transfer any ink with the water to the paper towel.

I took a joker card and placed it in front of one of the :4c: and purposefully pressed and rubbed the two cards together pretty hard (harder than would happen during a shuffle or having the card in the deck) right where the drawn club was, and there was no transfer to the back of the joker that I can tell. I tested this on both the black back and the yellow back and I couldn't see anything on the backs of the joker cards.

I am going to put this deck into play this weekend and we'll see what happens, but I'm cautiously optimistic. (I'll bring another setup, unadulterated, in case there's issues with this one, because I do want to try these out for a session.)

I just got a setup in the mail, and I'm floored. These are fantastic cards.
Stiffer than KEMs, but definitely more flex than Fournier. They shuffle beautifully and square up with no effort.
The edges aren't slick and plasticy-smooth like so many cards, a welcome sight. The edges have a "tooth" are more like the edges of KEMs than any other brand I've tried.
I am totally sold!

Last edited:
I'm refining the design of the stencil a bit. When creating it originally I used the 58mm x 88mm measurement on Justin's proof sheet. Turns out that was a little larger than the cards in reality, which I had measured with calipers and they came out as 57.6mm x 87.6mm. So I'm making the stencil cards a little smaller (maybe split the difference in case the calipers aren't totally accurate, and doing 57.8mm x 87.7mm).

I am also making the stem of the club a little larger so it's easier to fill out. I may also make a version with just the three circles of the club without the stem.

If @Carnth is right and only 1-2 people are interested in this "fix", I can make a couple of cards to send out. YMMV and I will not be responsible for messing up these cards. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: If more than a couple people want this, I might ask for a $1 donation to help cover the envelope, stamp, and card stock.

I'm refining the design of the stencil a bit. When creating it originally I used the 58mm x 88mm measurement on Justin's proof sheet. Turns out that was a little larger than the cards in reality, which I had measured with calipers and they came out as 57.6mm x 87.6mm. So I'm making the stencil cards a little smaller (maybe split the difference in case the calipers aren't totally accurate, and doing 57.8mm x 87.7mm).

I am also making the stem of the club a little larger so it's easier to fill out. I may also make a version with just the three circles of the club without the stem.

If @Carnth is right and only 1-2 people are interested in this "fix", I can make a couple of cards to send out. YMMV and I will not be responsible for messing up these cards. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: If more than a couple people want this, I might ask for a $1 donation to help cover the envelope, stamp, and card stock.
I’ll take one and am happy to donate

Used these last night. Shuffling was very nice. Pitch was great, seemed like slightly less glide than the faded spade and desjgn cards I usually use. The edges were catching a lot more on each other than I'm used to, might just be the first time out, but it made gathering and flipping cards over less smooth. I loved the faces in the pictures, but in play the font caused some confusion, especially the 5.

Overall good value in these cards. I think a font tweak would push them up to great. Hoping the edges wear in a bit and become less grabby, and that durability is good. I'll be putting these to use in the bar poker rotation which has been rough on cards. We get about 9-12 months out of Desjgn setups, so even the 4-6 month range will be great there.

Used these last night. Shuffling was very nice. Pitch was great, seemed like slightly less glide than the faded spade and desjgn cards I usually use. The edges were catching a lot more on each other than I'm used to, might just be the first time out, but it made gathering and flipping cards over less smooth. I loved the faces in the pictures, but in play the font caused some confusion, especially the 5.

Overall good value in these cards. I think a font tweak would push them up to great. Hoping the edges wear in a bit and become less grabby, and that durability is good. I'll be putting these to use in the bar poker rotation which has been rough on cards. We get about 9-12 months out of Desjgn setups, so even the 4-6 month range will be great there.
What about the typeface of the 5 made it confusing? Was it too close in appearance to another number?

What about the typeface of the 5 made it confusing? Was it too close in appearance to another number?
Yeah I kept thinking it was an 8, same with other players. I noticed people were peeking cards longer than usual and double checking more often

They shuffle and handle very nicely, except for the misprint these are some very impressive cards. I enjoy the unique and bold look of the font/faces. It is not always necessary to make cards face all look the same, a unique style is appreciated although feel & play are way more important.

:cool

I only opened and handled 1 deck to test but agree with others fix misprint and alter the 5 font.
I likely will not put these in play as is it just causes too many integrity questions.
Looking fwd to seeing what happens next.

The misprint I get but I don’t see an issue with the 5 looking like an 8. I haven’t played with them, but if I make the image really small I can still clearly see the open counter between the horizontal bar and spine of the 5.

ageed I am not saying it looks like another number, it just looks weird and I would personally prefer a more stand looking 5.

The 5 may be the reason I don't become a buyer for these. I understand why it's style the way that is based on the rest of the font, but ultimately it's just too confusing of a number in real print. It probably would still fit and be less confusing if the top crossbar didn't have a descender.

where we at with the re-prints etc?

do I need to read the whole thread? DAMNIT !!

The 5 may be the reason I don't become a buyer for these. I understand why it's style the way that is based on the rest of the font, but ultimately it's just too confusing of a number in real print. It probably would still fit and be less confusing if the top crossbar didn't have a descender.
Same. I've been trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. I REALLY want to get some if these. But I know with some older eyes, the 5 would be mistaken for a 6 or 8.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom