InviteTracker

Resource InviteTracker (3 Viewers)

Looks like all other carriers are working fine atm.

View attachment 954449
Hey guys, Hey @Al Azouri ,

So the invite tracker was working really well for me originally, however, something is up with using gmail to send email to sms. I am not sure if its on the carrier side or gmail. I am leaning carrier side, but it seems to be all the carriers. When I try to send a simple test email to my tmobile phone number from gmail it is not received on my phone, even though gmail indicates it is sent. However, when I send the same email to my phone from my work email account in outlook it is received almost immediately. I also tested with a buddy on ATT and was getting the above message of can not be found.

I am thinking the carriers are blocking gmail sms to text in some cases... Curious to hear others thoughts

Jeff

Just had a weird bug where I fell below the table limit of 9 (down to 8 IN) and I couldn't move someone from the waitlist to IN on the guest tab. It kept going back to the waitlist. I had to up the waitlist threshold back to 10 and move him to "unknown" first, then IN.
Ok, I think I found the issue. I've updated the code in the current version v3.3 (which I know is a no no in terms of version control)

You can ether go through the setup again or if you fee adventurous you can edit and republish the code in your existing sheet.

open up code.gs and change line 398 from this:
if (spotsLeft <= 0 && (status == inStat || status == lateStat)) {status = waitStat;}

to this:
if (spotsLeft < 0 && (status == inStat || status == lateStat)) {status = waitStat;}

Then re-publish the spreadsheet using the same deployment ID. (steps 16-18 in the ReadMe tab)

Hey guys, Hey @Al Azouri ,

So the invite tracker was working really well for me originally, however, something is up with using gmail to send email to sms. I am not sure if its on the carrier side or gmail. I am leaning carrier side, but it seems to be all the carriers. When I try to send a simple test email to my tmobile phone number from gmail it is not received on my phone, even though gmail indicates it is sent. However, when I send the same email to my phone from my work email account in outlook it is received almost immediately. I also tested with a buddy on ATT and was getting the above message of can not be found.

I am thinking the carriers are blocking gmail sms to text in some cases... Curious to hear others thoughts

Jeff
I think you're on to something. Is there any difference when you send the message from the spreadsheet vs. sending the same exact message from GMail directly?

I think you're on to something. Is there any difference when you send the message from the spreadsheet vs. sending the same exact message from GMail directly

Same result through the spreadsheet and direct from gmail and both Tmobile and ATT. Tmobile doesnt bounce anything back to gmail, just doesnt go through. ATT responds to gmail with "Address not found"

I've updated the code in the current version v3.3 (which I know is a no no in terms of version control)

My reaction as a software developer/development manager:

star-trek-what.gif

Same result through the spreadsheet and direct from gmail and both Tmobile and ATT. Tmobile doesnt bounce anything back to gmail, just doesnt go through. ATT responds to gmail with "Address not found"
Yeah. There are lots of complaints online about the reliability of SMS/MMS gateways.

I’ve started resorting to sending emails, or both instead.
Sometimes I’ll send the emails through the app then send a general text to everyone telling them to check their email. It’s a real bummer cause the rest of the tool works so well for me.

It really is awesome. Thanks for all the work put into it. I am going to give it some thought, we need a way to have it send via a regular sms instead of email to sms.

It really is awesome. Thanks for all the work put into it. I am going to give it some thought, we need a way to have it send via a regular sms instead of email to sms.
Not sure how much background you have in this stuff so forgive me if this sounds like greek to you.

It's possible to have AppScript JSON APIs and there are several vendors out there that will allow you to call an API to send SMS, but they all do it for a fee. - and I'm looking to do it for free :)

If you find something or think of something let me know - I'd love to not have to rely on gateways or Gmail for that matter. Not only would it be more reliable but we could get away from that 100 message per day limit.

Last edited:
So for what it's worth, I did experience some of these issues, and it appears ATT is ongoing.

I did get a number of sendbacks to t-mobile numbers (most but not all) yesterday afternoon. However, those all seemed fine today. ATT is consistently an issue at this point. I only have 3 of those numbers so I have taken to texting them directly, not ideal, but hopefully this ATT situation will be fixed.
FWIW, https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mms.att.net.html shows an outage on their gateway, so this may be a temporary, albeit extended issue.

So for what it's worth, I did experience some of these issues, and it appears ATT is ongoing.

I did get a number of sendbacks to t-mobile numbers (most but not all) yesterday afternoon. However, those all seemed fine today. ATT is consistently an issue at this point. I only have 3 of those numbers so I have taken to texting them directly, not ideal, but hopefully this ATT situation will be fixed.
FWIW, https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mms.att.net.html shows an outage on their gateway, so this may be a temporary, albeit extended issue.
Yeah. I hate that it’s not reliable. I’ve pretty much switched to having it send emails with the occasional manual group text reminder. Knowing that it’s 100 percent reliable that way is a huge relief. And as it turns out I used to use emails back in the early days of my game. It just takes some time for people to adjust.

I tried it again this month. Chose to send invitations via text and email. The guys are telling me that the personal link is not working. What am I doing wrong?
1659722661343.png

I tried it again this month. Chose to send invitations via text and email. The guys are telling me that the personal link is not working. What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 961918
Change method to Individual, otherwise it won't send personal links.

Note that you can still put groups in the To list while using the Individual method

Change method to Individual, otherwise it won't send personal links.

Note that you can still put groups in the To list while using the Individual method
I thought this is what you meant, but it didn't work either. Can I not send individual links using a group? Do I have to add everyone one at a time?

1659725552666.png

I thought this is what you meant, but it didn't work either. Can I not send individual links using a group? Do I have to add everyone one at a time?

View attachment 961946
There’s something weird in that screen shot. The to field says executing,unknown. I can’t think of a scenario where you would end up with that. Thanks try clearing that file and adding just unknown to it.

Also, when you say it doesn’t work, can you be more specific? I hat exactly does it not do?

Do I need to clear that each time? I cleared that out, and it seemed to work now. Thanks. This is the error I was getting previously.

StartFunctionError MessageTriggerEnd
8/5/22 4:21:54 PM EDTonMsgEditException: Failed to send email: no recipientedit8/5/22 4:23:02 PM EDT

No need to reset. You would get this error if there was nothing in the to fields or if the group(s) referenced in the to field resolved to no one.

I thought I fixed that in v3.3. What version are you using?

Last edited:
One other question - So I added some entries to the Guest tab for generic Guests, not game regulars. This month, one of the guys asked to bring a guest, so in the spot where I had Guest 1, Guest 2, I changed the name of the Guest, and changed them to IN. But that doesn't seem to be fully registering.
That entry is not moved up alphabetically like the other ones I marked as in ...
1660011432327.png

And in the Dashboard, the two Guests marked as In, show spots in the In group, but the names do not display? Thanks for any help!
1660011230121.png

Attachments

• 1660011330195.png
    1660011330195.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 83
Seems like you didn't use the "add new last row" in the extra tab at the very top.
It may not be what you want to hear but I would move to v3.3 and start over to clear any other problems that may come up.

Last edited:
Seems like you didn't use the "add new last row" in the extra tab at the very top.
I may not be what you want to hear but I would move to v3.3 and start over to clear any other problems that may come up.
Thanks for your reply. When would I have had to have done that? As far as adding my players in the Guest tab, I don't believe I added any new rows, just overlaid the data that was already there. Yeah, moving to the current version is definitely the right thing to do, I was trying to avoid doing all that all over again, but I can't continue the way I am. Too many issues for this dumb ass.

You beat me to it.

The reason this is important is that there are formulas in hidden cells that need to be preserved. Using that add new last row function does that for you.

If you feel adventurous you can Unhide the hidden columns and copy the formulas over.

Is anyone else running into the issue of mobile carriers bouncing messages back or not sending them through? I read it's because a lot of spam messages come from Gmail accounts so carriers are increasingly blocking texts from Gmail addresses. Trying to find a way to send it through my phone though no progress just yet. Most of what I've found is paid API ($.05/message).

Is anyone else running into the issue of mobile carriers bouncing messages back or not sending them through? I read it's because a lot of spam messages come from Gmail accounts so carriers are increasingly blocking texts from Gmail addresses. Trying to find a way to send it through my phone though no progress just yet. Most of what I've found is paid API ($.05/message).
Yeah, I've moved to emails and then I send a group message or two to let them know to check emails

Yeah. It’s been getting worse for me as well. It was far more consistent when I started down this journey. I also have switched over to email for that reason.

I use email for the tracking and sometimes remind everyone to check their email via group text from my phone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom