If you didn't live where you do, where would you want to live? (1 Viewer)

Phantom

Full House
Reaction score
I have travelled the world and am well aware of how blessed I am to live in Queensland, Australia - tough to beat. I lived in Bloomington, Indiana (Aug '83 to Dec '84) when I was a little fella, and have been to Europe twice and Singapore three times (my parents lived there for 5 years). I have the travel bug bad, but my bank balance and having 3 children means that the prospects of my continued travelling are equally as bad :).

For mine, I love France. I mean, really, really love it. Given my family's military history from WW1, I am drawn to the Somme battlefields mostly and the beautiful rural countryside around that area. The sunken roads, little villages, forests and history. As weird as it sounds, my family's blood is soaked into the soil and it truly calls to me. In another life I could have been living in a little village as a battlefield tour guide and writing books. Of course, I would then be in striking distance of Belgium, and the beautiful towns of the Ypres salient. One of my sad (as in pathetic) past-times is to look at French realestate and dream :). If my book is a success and leads to other opportunities, perhaps one day ...

So, which country or location occupies your thoughts when you are sitting in crappy traffic, it is fricken freezing, or the crazies are getting just a bit much?

I am in a position to figure that out.

I have money, and I can work from remote.

I pretty much need to stay in the US to protect my income, and I do love NH where I live, but am thinking about getting a winter home either in FL or Vegas or SC or ???

FL seems like a good move for me because of time zone, proximity to PCFers who host, and winter meet ups. I was gonna winter there last year, but instead got really sick. Now I may not get to winter away this year as I need to do some winter work on my house this year. So next year, I'll probably start looking for a new winter home.

I pretty much need to stay in the US to protect my income, and I do love NH where I live, but am thinking about getting a winter home either in FL or Vegas or SC or ???

FL seems like a good move for me because of time zone, proximity to PCFers who host, and winter meet ups. I was gonna winter there last year, but instead got really sick. Now I may not get to winter away this year as I need to do some winter work on my house this year. So next year, I'll probably start looking for a new winter home.

Cool, I have heard Florida is lovely. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Australia, as Brisbane probably has the best all year round climate. Even so, I don't even like our winters, and if the money and lifestyle were different, would spend our 'winter' in France :).

New South Wales, or pretty much anywhere between La Jolla and Encinitas

Arizona has always appealed to us but it's just not practical for our current situation. The humidity in Florida is too much for my wife during the summer months. Give us 110 of dry desert heat and it's great. 85 with Florida humidity and it's miserable. Not to mention Florida is full of whackos - if you don't believe me just search the news for Florida Man! ;)

Anywhere but Brisbane. You guys don't even have daylight savings.

But seriously, I'd like to live in Canada, Rocky Mountains, pine trees and snow appeal to me. But my wife HATES the cold so never gonna happen.

Anywhere but Brisbane. You guys don't even have daylight savings.

But seriously, I'd like to live in Canada, Rocky Mountains, pine trees and snow appeal to me. But my wife HATES the cold so never gonna happen.

Haha, we just get up earlier as it isn't friggin freezing at 5:00am :). Canada is beautiful, love the Canadians. Toooooo cold sorry. My boys came across the Canadians in WW1, and had many great chums. Just toooo damn cold :)

Costa Rica or Belize would be our choice. We have had the opportunity to travel through Europe and it has been enjoyable but we would go south.

I moved to FL from New England and I've acclimated to the climate and it doesn't bother me, living in Tampa. Sometimes I find 71 degrees positively chilly now, lol!

My wife and I eventually want to move to North Carolina, although given Mr Trees home game I'd consider the hell out of Georgia too

In the US? San Francisco.

Europe? A house in the archipelago of Stockholm, Sweden.

I'm also quite fond of New Zealand.

I think about this quite a lot. I have roots in Arizona, cabin outside Denver, and used to live in Holland. All three places need to be in my future 4 months per year. The only thing missing is beach time but there is some in Holland.

AZ - November - February
Holland - March - May
Denver - June - October

That would be ideal pending a review of the PCF Meatup Schedule

We're human. It's inherent in our nature for the grass to always be greener on the other side.

For me, home is where the heart is.

I'm a stick in the mud, pretty much always in Oakland County Michigan. I like it here but someday would like two modest homes, one in Southwest Florida and one in Northern Michigan.

I haven't traveled outside of the United States much up to this point other then Canada and the Bahamas but I feel like Germany, Australia, France, or Italy would all be great to live in.

Place I've actually been to that I'd like to live at would be Colorado as well as Sedona AZ or Moab Utah

Having been to 47 U.S. states, six Canadian provinces, several parts of Mexico, the majority of the Caribbean islands, London, Paris, Barcelona, and Tahiti, I've never been anywhere I'd rather live than where I do. We have beautiful countryside, mild weather (for the most part,) nice people, reasonable population density, low unemployment, a low cost of living, very low taxes, good roads, and an exceptionally well-run state.

Then again, I've never been to New Zealand, Micronesia, Tuvalu, the Cook Islands, Norway, Denmark, Malta, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, or the Bavarian/Bohemian countryside...

Seattle would be my ideal, but that's highly unlikely to happen. After that, Denver....and that may just be happening sooner than later.

....Give us 110 of dry desert heat and it's great. 85 with Florida humidity and it's miserable.

Our temperature and humidity in the west coast Sarasota area is no worse than Washington DC. Much, much more bearable than the 110 I've experienced in Vegas and Tucson. YMMV, of course...

Not to mention Florida is full of whackos ....

Have we met?

Last edited:
Rivendell. Orcs and black riders have negatively impacted Shire real estate prices and lowered the tone.

I'd move back to Glasgow in a heartbeat but our eldest is starting school next week, so I think we're here for a good while yet. Love Scotland but somewhere where the weather is more stable and less sh1tty would definitely appeal.

I'd also like to live in the Hitching Post, or courage's garage, to have better access to gambol.

Scottsdale
Seattle area (where I am)
Arizona desert
Somewhere between Palm Springs and San Diego in the desert
In the Cascade foot hills or the North Cascades with a little land some where between Snohomish County and Vancouver
The non racist part of Northern Idaho with land
Northern California coast/red wood area
North of Chelan
North of Denver in the Rockies
Southern Utah

There are actually tons of places in the world where I would love to live, but for me and my family we are West coast peeps and the list above is our plans, not all of them obviously, but that's the list. Would love to have a house in the area I am right now (which we do obviously) and Scottsdale or North of Scottsdale in the next ten years. Then a cabin/compound/retreat somewhere out of the rest of the list, maybe two.

Last edited:

Well, if remote working, should be a state with low or no income tax. But Florida sucks. Nevada? A bit desolate. Arizona? Northern California (high taxes, so make sure you don't trigger residency).

....But Florida sucks....

Says the guy who's so ashamed of wherever he lives that he's afraid to share that information.

But yeah, FL's so awful that we only have about 10K people moving here each month... :cool:

For us, with year-round outdoor tennis, etc., as a fairly rigid requirement, it came down to France (Paris, Aix en Provence, Cognac areas), the Caribbean (St. Martin, St, Croix, PR), or FL.

SoCal is ridiculously expensive. Winters are harsh in Vegas, Colorado, and most of NM. I ceded Arizona to my ex-wife, so Tucson was out. Texas, NC, and SC were out for socio-political reasons (bye, Austin).

So it seemed like Florida was going to be it, with frequent travel to all those other places, e.g. 2016: Colorado in July. Aruba in two weeks. Europe for all of October. St. Martin in mid-December.

FL works for us. Clay court tennis, biking, sailing year round. The pool every day of the year. Looking out the sliders at a lake with big birds, gators, and singing frogs all the time. Excellent food. Vibrant arts community, Tons of music. An airport 15 minutes away, with direct 1 hr 20 min flights to DC. Two more < 45 minutes away, including Tampa. Orlando 2 hours. Miami 3 hours. The Keys 4 hours. Local racetrack (Sebring) < an hour.

Hey, it's a miserable life, but somebody's got to do it. Off to tennis now... :LOL: :laugh:

Says the guy who's so ashamed of wherever he lives that he's afraid to share that information.

But yeah, FL's so awful that we only have about 10K people moving here each month... :cool:

For us, with year-round outdoor tennis, etc., as a fairly rigid requirement, it came down to France (Paris, Aix en Provence, Cognac areas), the Caribbean (St. Martin, St, Croix, PR), or FL.

SoCal is ridiculously expensive. Winters are harsh in Vegas, Colorado, and most of NM. I ceded Arizona to my ex-wife, so Tucson was out. Texas, NC, and SC were out for socio-political reasons (bye, Austin).

So it seemed like Florida was going to be it, with frequent travel to all those other places, e.g. 2016: Colorado in July. Aruba in two weeks. Europe for all of October. St. Martin in mid-December.

FL works for us. Clay court tennis, biking, sailing year round. The pool every day of the year. Looking out the sliders at a lake with big birds, gators, and singing frogs all the time. Excellent food. Vibrant arts community, Tons of music. An airport 15 minutes away, with direct 1 hr 20 min flights to DC. Two more < 45 minutes away, including Tampa. Orlando 2 hours. Miami 3 hours. The Keys 4 hours. Local racetrack (Sebring) < an hour.

Hey, it's a miserable life, but somebody's got to do it. Off to tennis now... :LOL: :laugh:
Ok, so perhaps a bit too strongly worded. How about "Florida, except for short visits in the colder winter months, does not appeal to me."

And for the record I live in Tallahassee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom