I thought I won the auction, but... (1 Viewer)

what If @kk405 and @Frank play heads up on p* for the right to buy the chips. Winner pays @Mr. Cheese the last bid they made “nearest” end of auction and pays actual shipping. Then we all go back to welcoming new chippers and learning from @BGinGA how to make our tournaments more efficient with color ups and varying starting stacks, and posting chip pron :D

Last edited:
This is a bit academic:

I posted in the auction thread when this happened, that it appeared Frank had the winning bid with the bid at 2:30.

The rules stated the auction ends "at" 2:30. I assume this means a bid placed 2:30:00.000 is good, while a bid placed at 2:30:00.001 is not.

However, the smallest time increment we have in thread post timestamps is minutes, so seconds cannot enter our consideration. Hence, Frank's bid at 2:30 should be valid, no?

This is a bit academic:

I posted in the auction thread when this happened, that it appeared Frank had the winning bid with the bid at 2:30.

The rules stated the auction ends "at" 2:30. I assume this means a bid placed 2:30:00.000 is good, while a bid placed at 2:30:00.001 is not.

However, the smallest time increment we have in thread post timestamps is minutes, so seconds cannot enter our consideration. Hence, Frank's bid at 2:30 should be valid, no?
We need thread time stamps down to the Planck length if we want to be 100% accurate as nature allows us :D

Any physics nerds?

So did this story end up well ?

Or do I need to run an auction with a very close breakdown ?:whistle: :whistling:

So did this story end up well ?

Or do I need to run an auction with a very close breakdown ?:whistle: :whistling:

Depends on how you define well.. Frenk is getting his chips, @Mr. Cheese has been exposed for the morally corrupt person he is, and another episode of this epic soap opera seems to have played out... but life goes on

Depends on how you define well.. Frenk is getting his chips, @Mr. Cheese has been exposed for the morally corrupt person he is, and another episode of this epic soap opera seems to have played out... but life goes on

I know (meaning virtually through forums, not in real life) @Mr. Cheese and @Frank, birh are great guys.

Sometimes, a little error can happen though I can understand you don't see things this way.

I see there is currently an AS tournament set for sale in the classifieds. So, no auction on my side.

Just remember to kiss the ring finger and show Don Clay much respect if he grants you an audience -- you don't want any decapitated horsehead chips showing up in your bed. And be careful if he says he has a chip offer you cannot refuse..... :D

Just remember to kiss the ring finger and show Don Clay much respect if he grants you an audience -- you don't want any decapitated horsehead chips showing up in your bed. And be careful if he says he has a chip offer you cannot refuse..... :D

marlon-brando-el-padrino.jpg

I’m running out of tea trying to keep up with all my shit posting.

Just add sugar and it'll last longer

Wouldn't he be "morally corrupt" if he was trying to use this situation to his financial advantage and squeeze more money out of you two?

I dunno how but can we get something in place where disputes like this are handled "off screen"? I realize it's great fun for some people but for everyone else the accusations and counter-accusations leave a nasty taste in the mouth, and probably don't serve as a great advertisement to people outside the community looking in.

Just sayin'.

Wouldn't he be "morally corrupt" if he was trying to use this situation to his financial advantage and squeeze more money out of you two?

That’s the reason behind and auctionx, to potentially maximize the price achieved for the seller. I have no problem with a fair auction. I bid $5K for a different set last night. I think the seller got an excellent (and very high) price for his set. I have no ill-will and no regret in bidding such a high price and appreciated the opportunity to participate in a well-run auction.

I dunno how but can we get something in place where disputes like this are handled "off screen"? I realize it's great fun for some people but for everyone else the accusations and counter-accusations leave a nasty taste in the mouth, and probably don't serve as a great advertisement to people outside the community looking in.

Just sayin'.

I am not really worried about what the ‘outsiders’ think. And I think the community is better served when we hash out these issue publicly so we can see who do we want to deal with in the future and who we may want to avoid like the plague. I believe the more information the better.

Having read this thread and the original, the outcome where Frank gets the chips can't possibly be correct - at least not without a continuation of the auction, or a new auction. I can understand why kk405 is upset.

Having read this thread and the original, the outcome where Frank gets the chips can't possibly be correct - at least not without a continuation of the auction, or a new auction. I can understand why kk405 is upset.

Thanks. And I hope people realize that his isn’t just about the chips. It’s about what people do after a mistake, misunderstanding, or miscommunication happens. And people can always try to do the right thing ethically and morally, or be a complete asshat about it. Obviously @Mr. Cheese chose the latter.

. I believe the more information the better.

Totally understand where you're coming from, but surely it's a case of "the more accurate information the better."

Where that's diffused and misdirected by umpteen informational"he said she said" posts, I'm not so sure it's good for either side.

Also nobody wants to be seen to be wrong, so things will escalate and the more things escalate, the less things are resolved. Take this thread.

ETA: Also as @BGinGA mentioned, the auction broke site rules so by the letter of the law, it can't stand. Where that leaves everyone involved is anyone's guess. This is just a situation that screws everyone. Leave as is - you're screwed. Give you the chips - the other guy's screwed. Redo it from scratch, you might both be screwed.

Totally understand where you're coming from, but surely it's a case of "the more accurate information the better."

Where that's diffused and misdirected by umpteen informational"he said she said" posts, I'm not so sure it's good for either side.

Also nobody wants to be seen to be wrong, so things will escalate and the more things escalate, the less things are resolved. Take this thread.

Agreed. That is precisely why I asked Mr Cheese to post all the PMs, where it shows how stupidly he just ‘decided’ to sell the chips to Frank.

The saddest part of this is the lack of response by @Tommy. It is his site, he made the auction rules, the leadership is strict to enforce other rules but tells those involved to work it out themselves this time.

The lack of consistency is troubling.

Will there be any form of punishment? In the court of law, not knowing one is breaking the law doesn’t make make them immune to it. Does Cheese get banned from running further auctions in the future?

Amazing how this all could have been avoided had a public group buy been offered.......

So now all of you private group buy members can put me down all you want but what I just said is the absolute truth.

I was obviously not part of the GB. But I disagree. The only way this GB could have happened was by a very small, secret group and a clandestine operation. I don’t fault the group for any of that. If it had been a public or a very large GB with indiscriminate number of participants, this group buy would have never happened, IMHO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom