I thought I won the auction, but... (3 Viewers)

kk405

Full House
Site Vendor
Reaction score
There was an auction held today for 500 ES hotstamp tourney chips. A dispute came up as a result of the OP not following the rules that were set by Tommy in the classified guidelines. It was agreed by all parties that it was a bunch of misunderstandings and honest mistakes by the seller and the two bidders not realizing that there was a requirement to have the 5 minute clock rule, but this auction didn’t state it in the OP, hence confusion on what to do. Tommy stated that he would prefer to stay out of the dispute.

It was also mentioned in the thread that if there was no 5 minute rule and as OP clearly states that the auction ends AT 2:30CST, then a bid at or after 2:30CST is invalid, hence the last bid ar 2:28 should be the winning bid.

Your thoughts is highly appreciated.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/48-hour-auction-aurora-star-tournament-set-500-chips.27231/

If there is no rolling deadline, any time ON or AFTER the deadline IS the deadline. So yeah, that’s my opinion.

:)

Edit: so if the deadline is 9:00pm, an 8:59 bid is fine but a 9:00 is not. Again IMO

I personally would argue that the entire auction as a whole was void from the start and should be redone since it didn't follow protocol. That said, if sticking by the OP as listed, then I'd say the last valid bid before the clock struck 2:30 was the final/winning bid.

If it ends at 2:30, then maybe a bid at 2:30 is okay and a bid at 2:30:01 is not?
It's kinda semantics at this point, and given the misunderstanding and how it ran out, I think the auction should be re-opened for you and the other guy to slug it out.

I personally would argue that the entire auction as a whole was void from the start and should be redone since it didn't follow protocol. That said, if sticking by the OP as listed, then I'd say the last valid bid before the clock struck 2:30 was the final/winning bid.

I agree with this.

I think you already summarized it well. Once there was agreement to abide with whatever decision was made without contestation or discussion, the topic becomes irrelevant very quickly. Hope you win the next one!

I think everyone realizes that it was a mixture of honest mistakes and misunderstandings. I am good with whatever decision is made.

kk405 said:
think everyone realizes that it was a mixture of honest mistakes and misunderstandings. I am good with whatever decision is made

So you were ok with the decision unless it didn't go the way you wanted. Seems to me the only one you can be mad at is Mr Cheese because he didn't follow the auction rules, then everyone tried to throw the blame on Tommy for not inserting himself in the proceedings.

Can't say I'm with you on this one.

I think you already summarized it well. Once there was agreement to abide with whatever decision was made without contestation or discussion, the topic becomes irrelevant very quickly. Hope you win the next one!

I would have no problem if we were all given a logical answer, as opposed to, hey, I have decided to change the rule and interpret anyway I like. First, it was suggested that the bidding would be reopened. Then it was ‘whatever is in the OP’. Then when it was pointed out that OP says the bidding ends AT 2:30, which to many/most? Means bids have to be in by 2:29:59, as there apparaently isn’t a time stamp for seconds, then the rule was changed to, ‘whatever was the intention of the seller’.

Come on. The guy tried to be graceful in the heat of the moment and you're going to hold that against him?
Not cool.

So you were ok with the decision unless it didn't go the way you wanted. Seems to me the only one you can be mad at is Mr Cheese because he didn't follow the auction rules, then everyone tried to throw the blame on Tommy for not inserting himself in the proceedings.

Can't say I'm with you on this one.

I truly meant what I said, but as long as there was a logical answer. And when I said whatever to solution, I assumed thee would be one of two, one to reopen as suggested by many, and one by going to the OP, which clearly states that the auction ends AT 2:30. So, any bids must be placed by 2:59:59.

Come on. The guy tried to be graceful in the heat of the moment and you're going to hold that against him? Not cool.

I'm quoting what kk said in the original thread, and truly wishing him luck in the next auction. How that is "not cool" or "holding it against him" is news to me. It's his words and graciousness that I'm referencing, not any criticism of mine. Not really a subject I'm looking to debate, nor one that needs to be proven by incontestable logic. *shrug*

"We need to find an alternative to here and the other place as well."

"It's crazy what they did. I think the damage is irreparable."

"I guess some of us will always be treated differently. I get it. Your site. Your rules."

I was thinking of providing an equitable solution here, but then it occurred to me that karma *is* a bitch.

Mr. Cheese said:
So if that's the case then I guess the final bid would be 1630 but its still Frank who would have won so I'm fine with just the 2:30 bid of 1610 unless the bidding needs to be opened up for another 10 minutes or something to be fair for kk405 to have a chance?

That was posted by the seller before you said you were good with whatever decision was made, why would anyone think you wouldn’t be okay with it? Thread was open for nearly an hour after those posts.

"We need to find an alternative to here and the other place as well."

"It's crazy what they did. I think the damage is irreparable."

"I guess some of us will always be treated differently. I get it. Your site. Your rules."

I was thinking of providing an equitable solution here, but then it occurred to me that karma *is* a bitch.

Thanks Larry... always the wise elder statesman representing the site and the community.

Glad to see mob mentality still lives and is alive and well. I am going to unwatch my own thread as Larry is about to crap all over yet another discussion. hopefully mods will respond to my request and close this anyway.

Glad to see mob mentality still lives and is alive and well. I am going to unwatch my own thread as Larry is about to crap all over yet another discussion. hopefully mods will respond to my request and close this anyway.

Mod mentality?

I believe more than half the posts have supported your position that the auction should have ended with your bid. And by the rules posted in the OP of the auction, I agree with that position and think you have a strong argument that you should have won the auction.

Others disagree and have given their opinion.

But your insistence on continuing with this “have vs have nots” mentality, and suggesting that people on this site are out to get you, is counter productive.

If you weren't going to be ok with the seller’s ruling, then (IMO) you shouldn’t have posted that you were ok with however he decided to handle it.

I don’t see a mob mentality here, but I do think you got shafted...

Knowing how forum software works, a post stamped 2:30 was created sometime between 2:30:00 and 2:30:59. This is after the auction end time of 2:29:59.

Your bid was the last valid bid as far as I’m concerned, but it’s not my auction.

Just my $.02. And sorry you got hosed.

^^ I share this opinion as well. The site rules clearly state that all auctions MUST follow the posted guidelines (which include cut/paste of those rules and use of the 5-minute ending period, among other things). This one didn't. It is/was an invalid classified listing, and must be considered as such. Otherwise, the site rules have absolutely no meaning, and can be ignored at will. Nobody wants that.

If using the OP's rules, the last valid bid would have been the one with the 2:28 timestamp. A bid at 2:30 is past the stated closing deadline. Dunno how anybody could possibly rule that a 2:30 bid wins based on the conditions stated in the OP. But using the OP's rules is a violation of site terms regarding classified auctions, so that argument is moot.

Seller should step up and make it right: declare the auction and results are invalid, and seller can create a new (legal)) one if desired (but is not obligated to do so). Anything else is just wrong, no matter who said what to whom or when.

@Mr. Cheese -- show some class and do the right thing.

I'm a general contractor. When we turn in bid proposals the client usually will say all bids due by 2:00 PM Especially the governmental contracts, at exactly 2:00 they stop accepting any bids. When I saw the results I thought exactly the same thing.... at 1:59:59.9999999999 the auction was over.

^^ I share this opinion as well. The site rules clearly state that all auctions MUST follow the posted guidelines (which include cut/paste of those rules and use of the 5-minute ending period, among other things). This one didn't. It is/was an invalid classified listing, and must be considered as such. Otherwise, the site rules have absolutely no meaning, and can be ignored at will. Nobody wants that.

I agree 100%, and it's why I quoted and posted said rules in the auction thread itself.

If using the OP's rules, the last valid bid would have been the one with the 2:28 timestamp. A bid at 2:30 is past the stated closing deadline. Dunno how anybody could possibly rule that a 2:30 bid wins based on the conditions stated in the OP. But using the OP's rules is a violation of site terms regarding classified auctions, so that argument is moot.

Also agree. If we're going with the rules as stated in the OP, I also agree any bids with a time stamp of 2:30 are not valid (as I stated a few posts earlier).

@Mr. Cheese -- show some class and do the right thing.

LOL; GLWT.

I apologize for my mob mentality comment, but I was a little heated, especially after Larry started making this, once again, personal. If he has nothing helpful to say, I don’t understand why he keeps crapping over the thread. And this after he sent me a PM (before posting here), and I assumed he was extending an olive branch and wants to help, and then I come to the thread and he is brining up past issues, and making personal attacks.

@bentax1978, believe it or not, I am completely over the have or have not issue. I honestly don’t care a bit. Life is too short. And as I mentioned a million times befor, I never ever even considered myself a part of the group who should have been a ‘have’. I joined the site far later than the GB had started. And I am perfectly ok with paying for these chips fair market prices, similar to how I acquire PCA, PNY, or TRK chips. I just hope, like others, we all get a fair chance to acquire chips, based on established rules and some honor system.

There must be some sort of magical hex going on with these chips.

I am beginning to think you could be right...they may have bad joo joo... :eek:

P.S. but some of them are so puuurrrtttyyyyy ;)

My least favourite sets of all the boat chips are those AS tourneys.

I say count yourself lucky that you can now shove all in for @Psypher1000s auction for the ES cash set.

Hmmm... you’re not totally wrong ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom