I play high stakes poker AMA (1 Viewer)

Great thread. I don't think this has been asked, earlier. Do you bet on anything else? like Sports bets, or play blackjack, craps, slots, etc? If so, would you say its similar stakes, higher or lower? Any prop bets while playing?

Do you know many hours of each stake level you've played?

So far this year I have played 388 total hours wt $530 hourly rate. 56 hours of Tournament play at a -136 per hour rate (Not uncommon not to be profitable in Tournaments although I did ship one and finish 4th in another this year). 167 of which was at 10-20, 20 at 10-25, 23 hours at 20-40 and 52 Hours at 2-5. My 2-5 rate is 48.59 per hour.

Great thread. I don't think this has been asked, earlier. Do you bet on anything else? like Sports bets, or play blackjack, craps, slots, etc? If so, would you say its similar stakes, higher or lower? Any prop bets while playing?

No I don;t bet on anything else or play the table games. I have a principled dislike of table games because you are not supposed to win so I think its dumb to play at a rigged game. When I do play the tables its for fun and just for $100 or something. My go-tos are baccarat, craps, black jack and every now and then some pai gow. I don't bet on sports but as far as props go its usually low stakes bs just for fun. Like red or black on the next flop for who buys the next round of drinks or a $100 side bet on the outcome of a hand I'm not involved in. Silly stuff like that. There are a few guys who have some decent side action. One of the regs put up $1000 ten to one odds that he couldnt slim down to 200lbs by the end of the year. He was at 200 by like august so he called it early for half. Stuff like that isn't always made known though. Most guys keep their props to themselves.

How much table talk is there and how well do the rooms you play in enforce the house rules? How often is the floor called for rulings and have there been major disputes?

Theres defintely some table talk. Guys are all pretty friendly so a lot of banter back and fourth but when its a big pot everyone is very respectful and things settle down. The rules are enforced but as far as some of the more ticky tacky stuff we kinda police ourselves. For instance technically you're supposed to get chips from the cage for cash but we buy and sell eachother chips out of our bags all the time. Thank kinda thing. Floor isn't called too often but I have seen one or two major disputes but they are few and far between.

The most recent one I can remember involved a pro whos a good friend of mine and another reg. They got it in pre flop both holding AK offsuit and prior to opening up they agreed to run it twice. After the first board blanked the reg said to the pro "Wanna just run it once and move on?" He agreed but the dealer continued to run out the second board which ran out to flush out the reg's AK. So it was super awkward for a minute but since the RIT (Running it Twice) button was out the dealer awarded half the pot to the reg. There was some bickering about etiquette from some other pros at the table all of whom agreed that the dealer did what he was supposed to do since the RIT button was out and the cameras were rolling but the reg initially was going to just take it down. Eventually the whole thing got worked out and he gave the pot back to the pro and everyone was nice nice but for a moment there it was a serious breach in ethical conduct by this reg. He's a good guy and eventually did the right thing so no hard feelings. Again speaking to the policing ourselves and the floor kinda looking the other way you're technically not supposed to just give 4k out of your stack back to a player on the table but thats what happened and it was all good.

So far this year I have played 388 total hours wt $530 hourly rate. 56 hours of Tournament play at a -136 per hour rate (Not uncommon not to be profitable in Tournaments although I did ship one and finish 4th in another this year). 167 of which was at 10-20, 20 at 10-25, 23 hours at 20-40 and 52 Hours at 2-5. My 2-5 rate is 48.59 per hour.

Interesting. Not a bad hourly! Any idea on lifetime hours?

I assume tracking your results increases your awareness in other ways. How has tracking your results improved your game awareness? Has it in any way hampered your game by being so aware?

I assume tracking your results increases your awareness in other ways. How has tracking your results improved your game awareness? Has it in any way hampered your game by being so aware?

I think if you play competitively then you should 100% be tracking your results. I have seen a drastic improvement in my game just form being aware of them and wanting to "Beat my rate" etc. It becomes a competition internally of how far can I push it. Not to mention its a good feeling seeing green and motivating when ya see red. I don't think its hampered my game except in the event that I go through a downswing (which is bound to happen sometime). It can be very vexing looking at a few losing sessions in a row. If you look back at my graph on one of the previous pages you'll see I didn't start the year off on a hot streak. It can be a bummer seeing negative results but it also motivates me to get back into the green and get unstuck.

How do you track?

App? Notes transferred to a spreadsheet?

What do you track other than time and +$/-$?

Room? Players? Game? Stakes? Other players at the table?

There's a ton of apps you can use but the one I use is called Poker Bankroll Tracker its free on the app store. The nice part about the app is it tracks multiple things for me while I just pretty much need to enter time and pluses or minuses. I put in the game, Stakes, room, and hourly rates etc. I don't keep notes on specific players but I can if I need to. Also allows me to inset specific descriptions of hands and how they played out if I want. Also has a hand calculator for checking if I made the right calls or not etc.

When you're playing the low-stakes home games, do you change your game at all, and do you crush those games?

Haha I try and win of course but it’s much more relaxed and just for fun. I’m not in super try hard mode and neither is anyone else. It’s just very intense and usually some alcohol is involved to usually pretty fast and loose play.

Got the 25-50 up and running tonight! Up a bit in early trading.

690CD546-3641-4931-BAEF-6475D2915CD8.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom