How would you have played this hand? (1 Viewer)

Lol nah dude, that's just a cooler. But perhaps a lesson for down the road. I'm almost never good getting the underfull full house.

Lol nah dude, that's just a cooler. But perhaps a lesson for down the road. I'm almost never good getting the underfull full house.
My instant reaction was "What a cooler", but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I over played it which is why I posted it here - and that seems to be the case. 10NL is the place to learn, I guess...

My instant reaction was "What a cooler", but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I over played it which is why I posted it here - and that seems to be the case. 10NL is the place to learn, I guess...
You played it fine except for jamming the river. I just call there. And guys that have seen some shit more than me and have forgotten more than I've learned about poker agree with the line.

It folds around to me and I look down at :th::ts:. I raise to a standard $0.30 total of my $10 stack
It folds to the Villain in the BB with a $6.00 stack who goes for the min click - $0.50 to go.
Hero?
I actually have a strong preference for the 4-bet here. I don't really like the flat. 3 reasons.

1) Only four hands have us screwed and a min-click with no read doesn't mean villain has to have it.
2) we do have position, but there are going to be a lot of tough-to-navigate flops. (Odds are we are going to see at least one overcard without improving.)
3) if I am opening late position a lot, I like to send the message that I have a hunk of 4-bets in my range beyond QQ+.

the min click - $0.50 to go.
Hero calls.

Pot $1
Flop comes :ac::qd::as:
I don't love this flop because villian can have a lot of Ax given the action. It's a way ahead/way behind spot. Villian can have all smaller pairs (which we beat) or a lot of Ax and maybe even Kq or QJ. I am probably planning to station here. Betting doesn't really "protect" us nor does it get us paid by a lesser holding.
Turn :ac::qd::as: - :jh:
Villain Checks.
Hero?
I think we check it again same reasons as above.
ver :ac::qd::as::jh: - :tc:
Villain leads out for pot, leaving $3 behind which I cover.
Hero?
I think this is a clear call as played, the only reason to shove here is if you believe villain is going to stack off with a King (for the straight), otherwise it's hard to give villain a calling hand that doesn't beat tens full.

River :ac::qd::as::jh: - :tc:
I jam
Villain snaps me off and shows :ah::qc: and our boat is capsized.

So yes, I don't like the river shove, I didn't mind the rest of the post flop play.

But I do think there should have been more consideration for going for a stiff 4-bet pre. Even if he calls, it's probably a lot easier to give villain credit for an Ax hand.

Isn’t the river jam only for 1/3 pot or so? Should be able to get paid by all Kx that rivered broadway for that size. Maybe even some Ax.

Not a dream spot but I think the jam isn’t terrible. It’s probably pretty close.

I wondered if there would be much love for a 4! with 10s. The population tends to not 3! as much as it probably should so ranges tend to be snugger on average, but maybe the min raise is a less confident raise, or maybe I'm levelling myself. Maybe it's just a welcome to the table pot sweetener?

I think being in position you are far more incented to call than to 3! here. You will have position for the remainder if the hand, which is a huge advantage and if V is at the top of his range you'll have to fold to a 5!/jam and miss the chance to flop a set :).

I actually have a strong preference for the 4-bet here. I don't really like the flat. 3 reasons.

1) Only four hands have us screwed and a min-click with no read doesn't mean villain has to have it.
2) we do have position, but there are going to be a lot of tough-to-navigate flops. (Odds are we are going to see at least one overcard without improving.)
3) if I am opening late position a lot, I like to send the message that I have a hunk of 4-bets in my range beyond QQ+.

I don't love this flop because villian can have a lot of Ax given the action. It's a way ahead/way behind spot. Villian can have all smaller pairs (which we beat) or a lot of Ax and maybe even Kq or QJ. I am probably planning to station here. Betting doesn't really "protect" us nor does it get us paid by a lesser holding.

I think we check it again same reasons as above.

I think this is a clear call as played, the only reason to shove here is if you believe villain is going to stack off with a King (for the straight), otherwise it's hard to give villain a calling hand that doesn't beat tens full.

So yes, I don't like the river shove, I didn't mind the rest of the post flop play.

But I do think there should have been more consideration for going for a stiff 4-bet pre. Even if he calls, it's probably a lot easier to give villain credit for an Ax hand.
Just reading this post now - I am onboard with the flop check and the turn check (way ahead/way behind = check). I'm probably not jamming river because of all the AA/AQ/AJ in V's range.

I wondered if there would be much love for a 4! with 10s. The population tends to not 3! as much as it probably should so ranges tend to be snugger on average, but maybe the min raise is a less confident raise, or maybe I'm levelling myself. Maybe it's just a welcome to the table pot sweetener?

As played, I called in position. I didn't fancy the higher variance route after just sitting down.

Action folds around to me and I look down at :th::ts:. I raise to a standard $0.30 off my $10 stack
It folds to the Villain in the BB with a $6.00 stack who goes for the min click - $0.50 to go.
Hero calls.

Pot $1

Villain checks. Hero?
Call, check flop

We give the dealer a hard stare. A Jack, really?! @DrStrange makes a good point I hadn't thought of - V's range is so chock full of Ax that even removing half the combinations leaves it still with a significant proportion of Aces. No matter, I'm done with this hand. What are we really beating now? This is probably the least controversial street. I go with the consensus and check back.

~
Action folds around to me and I look down at :th::ts:. I raise to a standard $0.30 off my $10 stack
Hero calls.
Pot $1

Villain checks.
Hero bets 1/2 pot.
Villain Calls.
Pot $2

Turn :ac::qd::as: - :jh:
Villain Checks.
Hero Checks
Pot $2

River :ac::qd::as::jh: - :tc:
Hero?
Flop - why bet? Very few hands that you could be getting value from - villain would also need runner runner or 2/4 outer to win so little value protecting your hand Prefer check back.

Turn ok

River - pretty rough. As played I would have called it off too.

Flop check by villain makes sense retrospectively given their flopped nuts.

I think being in position you are far more incented to call than to 3! here. You will have position for the remainder if the hand, which is a huge advantage and if V is at the top of his range you'll have to fold to a 5!/jam and miss the chance to flop a set :).
The more I thought about it, the more I decided the better way to take advantage of position is to 4-bet pre, mainly because TT probably ahead of villain's range, but is going to face a "way-ahead/way-behind" flop most of the time. You can decide to fold to a 5-bet pre. Or you are forcing the player out of position to decide now if he wants to call out of position against a hand that may be tough to bluff on later streets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom