How would you have played this hand? (1 Viewer)

Kentucky

Pair
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd appreciate some feedback on how I played this hand. There's bits I like, and bits I don't. I really want to see what you guys would've done in my place.

I sat down for a quick session of online 10NL yesterday, full ring (but currently two spots sitting out). It was my first hand of the session so no specific reads, I posted a BB in the Cut Off to get dealt in.

It folds around to me and I look down at :th::ts:. I raise to a standard $0.30 total of my $10 stack
It folds to the Villain in the BB with a $6.00 stack who goes for the min click - $0.50 to go.
Hero?

A flat call is ok. So is a reraise in position. He could jam and then you’d have to fold probably or risk have half your stack.

A flat call is ok. So is a reraise in position. He could jam and then you’d have to fold probably or risk have half your stack.
If you have a read villain will 3 bet light, this is a fine play. Bad play if you're coming in with no reads as the OP says.

tl;dr 10s and JJs are pretty same to me and I don't find it hard to lay down as much

I would call in position and evaluate during post flop..

If it flops all low cards and rainbow ... I would bet if it gets checked to me

If there are some overs, that might smash the preflop raiser's range and they prob know it so a c-bet is incoming.. at that point, you can float one if you have enough equity to continue... otherwise I don't have a problem laying it down as you mentioned, you JUST sat down with no reads

I wondered if there would be much love for a 4! with 10s. The population tends to not 3! as much as it probably should so ranges tend to be snugger on average, but maybe the min raise is a less confident raise, or maybe I'm levelling myself. Maybe it's just a welcome to the table pot sweetener?

As played, I called in position. I didn't fancy the higher variance route after just sitting down.

Action folds around to me and I look down at :th::ts:. I raise to a standard $0.30 off my $10 stack
It folds to the Villain in the BB with a $6.00 stack who goes for the min click - $0.50 to go.
Hero calls.

Pot $1
Flop comes :ac::qd::as:

Villain checks. Hero?

Checking back will get you a free card but you'll have no idea where you're at ... no turn card except a 10 is good for you so... I elect to do what colors mention, use your position and put out a bet to see what he does..

As flops go, this wasn’t the one we were dreaming about. Obviously, V can have the one remaining combination of AA and I can’t, but I’m mainly discounting possible Ax combinations from their range given two on the board, so maybe mostly 2 broadways, pairs, some Kxs? I’m expecting a lot of those hands to continue with a c-bet. The check gives up the betting lead so in the moment I felt a “See where I’m at” bet was appropriate. I can hit this flop pretty good too so a bet to take back the lead felt right. If I get raised, I can get away, if I get a call I can evaluate and maybe see a free turn.

On later reflection I’m not sure I’m getting called by much that’s worse. Maybe KJ, or KT looking for a straight draw. Would backdoor flush draws continue? Would 99s or below continue?

As played I bet 50c or half pot. Probably more than I should and more than the consensus, but at the time trying to disincentivize the draws that I really should be trying to keep in.

~
Action folds around to me and I look down at :ts: :th:. I raise to a standard $0.30 off my $10 stack
Hero calls.
Pot $1

Villain checks.
Hero bets 1/2 pot.
Villain Calls.
Pot $2

Turn :ac::qd::as: - :jh:
Villain Checks.
Hero?

I would check and see a river, get closer to showdown with my 1010

You don't beat much of anything now and they're not folding .. you don't need to bet out 99 or 88 or 77.. just keep those hands in.

If the river is a 10, that would be interesting.

Check. Hero is either crushed or ahead marginally. I'm expecting a strange play on the river from this villain. My sense is that hero is best to this point.

If he called a half pot bet, I would think he must have something that beats you. I think check is the only option here and hope you get lucky.

Villain's range can be pretty large. Hero's raise could be seen as blind stealing effort, making villain's weak sauce 3-bet range wider than typical. Also, we can't disregard Hero paying the extra BB to be dealt in. That might further widen Hero's range and thus the villain's range.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Ax from villain's range. Half the aces are in view, so the number of Ax combinations are cut in half. Still leaves 8 AK, 6 AQ, 8 AJ, 4 AT and eight of each of the lesser ace X combos. Let's limit the range to AXs for the lesser aces. That is 42 possible hands with an ace in them. Even giving villain a pretty wide range, it seems reasonable to think a quarter or more of villain's range are hands with an ace.

Villain checks to hero on the flop, but is that a slow play with trip aces or villain giving up? Same thing on the turn - maybe a trap maybe not.

The question I ponder is what does Hero gain by a second bet? Maybe villain folds something like J9 / KJ / KK. Perhaps villain calls with 99/88 etc Still it is going to suck to get check/raised.

What is Hero's plan if he bets the turn? Bet / fold I guess. Hero can't feel his hand is good should villain call two bets, or worse checks raises.

I think it is better to check the turn and plan on calling a reasonable river bet - Hero's hand isn't much more than a bluff catcher. By this point villain's effective range has a lot of trip aces plus a smattering of other pairs.

The situation isn't ideal. Hero shouldn't make it harder by putting more money in the pot on the turn. I am expecting to see Hero crushed pretty often vs an unknown player -=- DrStrange

We give the dealer a hard stare. A Jack, really?! @DrStrange makes a good point I hadn't thought of - V's range is so chock full of Ax that even removing half the combinations leaves it still with a significant proportion of Aces. No matter, I'm done with this hand. What are we really beating now? This is probably the least controversial street. I go with the consensus and check back.

~
Action folds around to me and I look down at :th::ts:. I raise to a standard $0.30 off my $10 stack
Hero calls.
Pot $1

Villain checks.
Hero bets 1/2 pot.
Villain Calls.
Pot $2

Villain Checks.
Hero Checks
Pot $2

River :ac::qd::as::jh: - :tc:
Villain leads out for pot, leaving $3 behind which I cover.
Hero?

You only need to be good 1/3 of the time here for the call to be profitable..

This is never a raise spot though, I'd sigh and flick in the chip hoping to see AK, or Kx

I have no idea what that preflop minclick means. I guess it could mean AJ or AQ or any number of hands. I get some hope from his turn check.
I’m jamming the river. As played, this villain could almost literally have half the deck in my mind. We beat most of that.

Not folding a boat here, but see no reason to raise in case villain holds AA, AQ, AJ, AT, QQ, or JJ -- all of which could have been played this way.

Call.

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Ax from villain's range. Half the aces are in view, so the number of Ax combinations are cut in half. Still leaves 8 AK, 6 AQ, 8 AJ, 4 AT and eight of each of the lesser ace X combos. Let's limit the range to AXs for the lesser aces. That is 42 possible hands with an ace in them. Even giving villain a pretty wide range, it seems reasonable to think a quarter or more of villain's range are hands with an ace.
I have a really hard time with this. I understand calculating combinations, or at least I thought I did. I’ll agree that there’s reasonably possibly 42 combinations that have you crushed on the turn. But I can’t get over the fact that there are only two aces left. Out of 48 unknown cards. So I keep coming back to the question what are the odds that he has an ace?
Now that I think about it, I’ve lost a lot of big pots thinking that way. I’ve been playing a lot more aggressively lately with mixed results. And the other guy having trips has cost me a lot of money. So maybe this is just a hole in my game (or in my thinking) that I just need to overcome.

Call. Feel like underfull is no good here.

In 10NL I’m probably calling the river every time against an unknown in the blind the way this was played. He could show you KQ and a bunch of Ax.

A boat on the river is what dreams are made of. I can't get the chips in fast enough. I jam.

Seems like the hive mind is generally more cautious because of all the other full houses that are out there. There's even more than I thought now @BGinGA listed them out.

~
Hero calls.
Pot $1

Villain checks.
Hero bets 1/2 pot.
Villain Calls.
Pot $2

Villain Checks.
Hero Checks
Pot $2

River :ac::qd::as::jh: - :tc:
Villain leads out for pot, leaving $3 behind which I cover.
I jam
Villain snaps me off and shows :ah::qc: and our boat is capsized.

We were behind as soon as the flop hit and caught up just enough to loose the max. I'm such a fish. Thanks for playing along. I appreciate the feedback. I think we do have decent equity against Villains likely range, but now realize that we've got the weakest full house - call off against all the random air-ball bluffs, Ax trips, and Kx-that-improved-to-a-straight-garbage V can have, but the jam only gets called by better FHs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom