How many small STT can you lose in a row before you should think, "Hey, I'm not very good at poker?" (1 Viewer)

Well, we all know playing perfect poker only works against good players, but is highly ineffective against brain-dead donkeys.

I'm not sure I'd consider turbos or short handed tournaments a benchmark at judging poker skill unless that's the only form of poker one plays. Ignoring that, ten games is much too small a sample to say anything beyond "variance sucks".
I didn’t know @Beakertwang’s real name was “Variance”.

Asking for a friend. Let's say you lose 6 three-handed turbo tournaments in a row. And then you proceed to lose an additional 4 four-handed tournaments in a row. Is that a large enough sample size where one should reflect on their pokering?
You just need to understand all the variables. Cash versus tourney, big difference. Number of players swings the strat quite a bit, 10 vs 7 vs 5 vs 3. All different. So basically your sample size is riding the fence between 3 and 4 handed. Then if you progress and end up going heads up, that changes things again. Soooooooo maybe like 100 more tourneys. :cool

To be clear this is not about me personally. I won two of these, which although below expected performance is still well within a margin of error.

So no need to try to be nice about it.

Are STT's the only poker this friend has played? If so, what kind of friend are you to allow this to happen?

Tournament ROI is just liqour and guessing. Henson mob results are meaningless.

Tournaments amongst skilled players are just really inefficient flips.

If you want to really assess your skills play hundreds of hours of cash.

Tournament ROI is just liqour and guessing. Henson mob results are meaningless.

Tournaments amongst skilled players are just really inefficient flips.

If you want to really assess your skills play hundreds of hours of cash.
Yeah, well, thank gosh I don't invite any skilled players.

Henson mob
1712240553886.gif

Asking for a friend. Let's say you lose 6 three-handed turbo tournaments in a row. And then you proceed to lose an additional 4 four-handed tournaments in a row. Is that a large enough sample size where one should reflect on their pokering?
The results are not that significant but one should always be reflecting on their pokering (for continual improvement). The manner of losing is also important.

If one was an average poker player in this field they should expect the above result ~10% of the time.

The variance of tournaments is insane.

Edit: reread and the first turbos are 3 handed not 6 handed. It’s more like 3%. You could probably determine that at best, you’re average, and rule out above average with those results. Knowing one’s own card distribution and flop distributions and runouts etc would also help one know whether this was an exceptionally unlucky day or if one is a fishy fishy fishy.

Last edited:
I've know I sucked at poker for over 20 years now. I still play. I pretty much suck at everything I do though.
Says the hall of fame chip designer and game runner who gets ~40 people to your monthly tournament! Most of the forum can barely scrap together a 6 handed sit and go for their 5 table sets. Yours is one of the few that actually gets use!

I saw in another post you got a new golf coach. If you are interested in a new lucky coach, mine is currently taking new clients.

He charges tens of dollars a year so it is a bit of commitment. And most of his advice is garbage. But you see how I run in flips!

Says the hall of fame chip designer and game runner who gets ~40 people to your monthly tournament! Most of the forum can barely scrap together a 6 handed sit and go for their 5 table sets. Yours is one of the few that actually gets use!

I saw in another post you got a new golf coach. If you are interested in a new lucky coach, mine is currently taking new clients.

He charges tens of dollars a year so it is a bit of commitment. And most of his advice is garbage. But you see how I run in flips!
ok, so I have one thing that I do .. "ok"

The results are not that significant but one should always be reflecting on their pokering (for continual improvement). The manner of losing is also important.

If one was an average poker player in this field they should expect the above result ~10% of the time.

The variance of tournaments is insane.

Edit: reread and the first turbos are 3 handed not 6 handed. It’s more like 3%. You could probably determine that at best, you’re average, and rule out above average with those results. Knowing one’s own card distribution and flop distributions and runouts etc would also help one know whether this was an exceptionally unlucky day or if one is a fishy fishy fishy.
@Beakertwang

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom