How do you create the edge spot part of a design mock-up for a printer? (1 Viewer)

ngmcs8203

Flush
Reaction score
I was wondering the best strategy for creating the edge spot part of a mock-up. How do you make sure the spacing between spots in the strip is accurate?

Here is what I am working with.

Attachments

• IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 113
Read through this thread for information on how to calculate the edge spots (page 1 has info on how to do it in Inkscape, page 2 has info on how to do it in Illustrator). You can also use @eightyWon's template file in that thread which has the edge stripes built already.

Omg I wish I found that post earlier this week. I had to recreate the inlay shapes myself and they were far from perfect. Now time to update my AI file.

OK inlay shapes were never re-drawn so my method will have to do for now until someone with more accuracy decides they want to help.

You can’t use eightywon’s templates for edgespots?
The inlay shapes were on his to-do list and not in the most recent artwork file. I created a 43mm version and am redrawing the inlay shapes by hand instead of relying on the trace action in illustrator.

Chips look great! Are these going on cards mold? There’s a recessed ring on the edge of the “inlay” area…are those faux shaped inlays clear of that?
Also, I would be careful with small thin type on a black background. The dye-sub process causes black to “bleed” and it will eat up any thin white type. I think you’ll need to make all your small type larger and avoid serif typefaces.

Chips look great! Are these going on cards mold? There’s a recessed ring on the edge of the “inlay” area…are those faux shaped inlays clear of that?
Also, I would be careful with small thin type on a black background. The dye-sub process causes black to “bleed” and it will eat up any thin white type. I think you’ll need to make all your small type larger and avoid serif typefaces.

I was thinking the Greek mold hybrids which would be printed labels, right?

I was thinking the Greek mold hybrids which would be printed labels, right?
They will print much better on labels, for sure. I haven’t seen the fidelity of the printing on those yet. However, even with CPC inlays with a black background, you need to be careful with extremely small text.

I was wondering the best strategy for creating the edge spot part of a mock-up. How do you make sure the spacing between spots in the strip is accurate?

Here is what I am working with.
Thank you for posting this question, was trying to figure out the same thing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom