Hot dog roller vs steamer? (1 Viewer)

Do you like your hot dog steamed or rolled?

• Total voters

TheDuke

Full House
Reaction score
I was randomly going thru galleries and found a pic of someone's hot dog steamer.

I know hot dog rollers have a big following on PCF. Haven't read anything about steamers.

This thing looks like it has an edge in terms of capacity. Looks like you could fit 100+ in there.

Screenshot_20210403-163811.png

I just read that steaming hot dogs does not add any flavor, as pan frying or grilling does. I would think a roller is closer to pan frying, only slower.

For flavor, you could steam dogs in beer, but what a horrible waste of beer.

There's a hotdog stand I used to go to at the end of a night of drinking when I was in university. They would steam their dogs but they'd put them on the grill to finish them up. Best of both worlds I thought. I used to think they were the greatest things ever but whenever I go there now (sober) they are distinctly mediocre.

A hot dog steamer is more work. You have to keep up with the water to keep it steaming along. A hot dog roller is literally "set it and forget it".

Rumor has it that the COVID started in a steamed hot dog cart that some guy in Wuhan bought on eBay and had shipped from New York.

Of course in NYC, the hot dog carts use high quality Manhattan sewer water originally from the East River. Dunno what they use in Wuhan, but it can't be as good...

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the NYC dirty water dogs use fresh water...initially.
What makes the dogs so special is that at the end of each day, the cart is towed into Queens, where the water is left to age, until the next day.
As each day goes by, the water becomes more and more flavorful.
Smart hot dog connoisseurs will ask the vendor about the water’s vintage prior to ordering.

What makes the dogs so special is that at the end of each day, the cart is towed into Queens, where the water is left to age, until the next day.
^^^^^

Everyone knows franks are at the bottom of the dirty water hot dog cart totem pole... shish kebab is at the top, followed closely by pretzels.

Team roller, btw

Roller and its not even close. Unless you forget to turn in on 20 minutes before the break and you have to monkey with higher initial temps (like me, every fucking tourney lol), its completely "set it and forget it." As dogs come off, fresh ones go on for the next round. Plus the leftover dogs at the end of the night turn into jerky.... :wtf:

Either is good with me.
If you’ve got a good, quality hot dog, that’s what it’s all about.

Do they say you remind them of Kevin James, or maybe it is Kevin James's version of "mini-me"?

I was at a Beef O' Brady's a few years ago

Our waitress had a heavy Spanish accent and said

"jew know who jew look like? That famous actor, the funny one" (how she knew my jewish heritage is beyond me)

ME: Oh yeah, Brad Pit, I get it all the time!

HER: NO! You silly!

But yes, I am accustomed to being compared to the worlds funniest and most attractive man lol

No option for microwave?

My dad once cooked steak 3 ways. Started on the grill and he took them off while they were blue rare. To correct this, he decided to use the air fryer. The air fryer has very little capacity and he grew impatient so he threw them in the microwave to finish them off.

Suffice to say he has forever been taken off grill duties.

My dad once cooked steak 3 ways. Started on the grill and he took them off while they were blue rare. To correct this, he decided to use the air fryer. The air fryer has very little capacity and he grew impatient so he threw them in the microwave to finish them off.

Suffice to say he has forever been taken off grill duties.
Your dad’s a genius. My dad’s the same. He makes such a mess of cooking that he’s no longer allowed to do it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom