Home made clay poker chips (1 Viewer)

Really hope he will come back with some updates on this. Very, very cool and impressive start when he was posting here last year.

i find it hard to believe people on this site would be mean to this guy. Eitherway the post is cool and trying to figure out if he actually did thsese would be cool. I dont get how he got the colors to connect on the edge spots, they look like there was some sort of locking joint to keep them in line, but from the images of his bare chip they look like they were cut straight at 90 degrees.. maybe its something that happens in the press.

I dont get how he got the colors to connect on the edge spots, they look like there was some sort of locking joint to keep them in line, but from the images of his bare chip they look like they were cut straight at 90 degrees.. maybe its something that happens in the press.
I don't know what material his chips are made from, but it looks like some sort of polymer clay (see wikipedia). My guess is that the chip blanks and the inserts (edge spots) are only loosely held together before being pressed, but once pressed their edges will bond together modestly, and then when the chip is cured under heat the bond strengthens enough to keep the whole thing together solidly.

I think what you're seeing as a "locking joint" is actually just the random movement of the clay as the blank and the inserts get squished together firmly in the press. You can see the same thing if you look at Paulson chips edge-on, and I think that's for the same reason.

Yeah probably something like this.

18DE1466-430C-4611-959F-FFBBEBAEE2E6.jpeg

I wish OP the best of luck in this endeavor. I can say with 100% certainty that I would not contract him for any home made chips, even if the quality were good, because a) it would probably take forever, and b) cost a ridiculous amount of money because of that, and c) I would probably find lots of things to complain about. All my flaws, not his.

Anyone else made a serious attempt to make their own clay chips?
I've got to be honest. This is the sort of thing I could see myself throwing months/years of my life, and thousands of dollars into attempting. But buying a set of well made compression clay chips costing $2-5 per chip? Nah - too expensive!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I've got to be honest. This is the sort of thing I could see myself throwing months/years of my life, and thousands of dollars into attempting. But buying a set of well made compression clay chips costing $2-5 per chip? Nah - too expensive!!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Let’s do some teamwork on this and study up!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I don't know what material his chips are made from, but it looks like some sort of polymer clay (see wikipedia). My guess is that the chip blanks and the inserts (edge spots) are only loosely held together before being pressed, but once pressed their edges will bond together modestly, and then when the chip is cured under heat the bond strengthens enough to keep the whole thing together solidly.

I think what you're seeing as a "locking joint" is actually just the random movement of the clay as the blank and the inserts get squished together firmly in the press. You can see the same thing if you look at Paulson chips edge-on, and I think that's for the same reason.
yeah the V pattern when you look at the round edge side of the cylinder.. I see it in paulsons as well, in my head i dont get how it happens with 90 degree cuts.. but after another look, OPs adventure looks legit!

Buying / making the molds and equipment and experimenting has to be cheaper than piecing together a decent set of Empress or Big Tops or (fill in the blank) these days lol. Let's get a subforum going!

I forgot to ansawer the question about colours... you see, i work with natural pigments which are used to make Master-grade oil paintings (pretty expensive) so i can mix nearly any colour. Weight is an issue becouse every pigment weighs diferently, so i use Iron powder to put extra weight if needed, and i am also trying to find other solutions to slove this so every chip is in the 10g range. If you have some design ideas and you are open to share them, feel free to post and i can try to put them into solid reality ;)
Well, if we're continuing the thread without @Strasser , then I'd say the first thing to address is the iron powder - yuck. Brass would be far superior. It wouldn't oxidize and result in discolouration akin to the HSI Snappers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom