Hello from Indianapolis! (2 Viewers)

BackseatSalad

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey all! Hoping to organize a micro stakes cash game/weekly or monthly tourney amongst friends in the near future. If anyone has advice regarding denomination preferences I'm all ears! Thinking a standard 100 big blind stack for somewhere in the .05/.10/.25/.50/1.00 blind range; wondering if it makes sense to get larger, more common denoms and sticking with a tournament format unless people are willing to play larger stakes cash?

Welcome to the forums, if you're looking for a player, I'm looking for a game.

For my .25/.5 PLO game I have gone with this break down:
.25 x 60
1 x 200
5 x 200
20 x 60
100 x 40
Welcome to the forums!
Click Here
|
|
\/
Incase you can't see my sig New Members Start Here!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, if you're looking for a player, I'm looking for a game.

For my .25/.5 PLO game I have gone with this break down:
.25 x 60
1 x 200
5 x 200
20 x 60
100 x 40
Welcome to the forums!
Click Here
|
|
\/
Incase you can't see my sig New Members Start Here!
Potentially! It depends on how eager people are to play on a regular basis, no idea at the moment.

I'm guessing you don't limit the buy-in to 100BB? It makes sense that $1 and $5 would be the most used chips postflop, I've only played live a couple times and it was $1/$3 NLHE so it's definitely a lot larger stakes than anyone I know would be up for right now

You're correct, I don't limit it.

We typically also suggest that all chips are 4 or 5 times the previous chip. In your OP you mention blinds being .05 / .1, I think you could use the same model as I previously posted, and I wanted to call out that you won't want a .1 chip.

Potential break down for min chips, I would suggest however MOAR chips!

.05 x 60
.25 x 140 (150 would be $4 for 9, currently $3.75 each for 9 players - 10 players (140) would be $3.5 distributed equally, 160 / 10 players would be $4)
1 x 200
5 x 60
20 x 40

That would be a bank of 1338

Last edited:
Here are some visuals for starting stacks:

Green is a non denom, so I can set its value as I please =) (green would be .05 and yellow is $5). These would be based on the above chip break down with a $10 starting stack assuming .1/.25 blind structure.

20220814_140344.jpg

20220814_140438.jpg

As the .25 would be a workhorse, some members would prefer a lot more quarters, this would not be a starting stack the above would fade.

20220814_140607.jpg

You're correct, I don't limit it.

We typically also suggest that all chips are 4 or 5 times the previous chip. In your OP you mention blinds being .05 / .1, I think you could use the same model as I previously posted, and I wanted to call out that you won't want a .1 chip.

Potential break down for min chips, I would suggest however MOAR chips!

.05 x 60
.25 x 140 (150 would be $4 for 9, currently $3.75 each for 9 players - 10 players (140) would be $3.5 distributed equally, 160 / 10 players would be $4)
1 x 200
5 x 60
20 x 40

That would be a bank of 1338
Thanks for all the details! For the blinds I meant that if people wanted to buy in for $10 the big blind would be $0.10, for a $25 buy in big blind of $0.25 and so forth, I could have worded it better. Maybe we'll graduate to $1/$2+ in the future so it'd be nice to have some dollar and 5 dollar chips too.

I like the concept of thinking of the sum of all the chips so you can quickly figure out how many people can have how much in their stacks. 1338 being 9 people able to buy in for $150ish? So much to think about, and the easy solution is to buy more chips, what a coincidence? :unsure:

I wouldn't suggest waiting to see what people want to buy in for, to set the blinds. some may want to buy in for 10 but others may want to buy in for 40, but that is circular because the blinds will typically dictate the buy in.

I would set the blinds to be what you want to play or what your players would want to play. Then you can think about the average number of buy ins and re-buys, and then figure out the bank you need.

Welcome to the forum!!!! Fort Wayne here. We do a micro stakes cash game here now and then. We have .05/.10 blinds with a $10 to $20 buy in. Most people tend to buy in for the max of $20. I have separate cash and tournament sets that we use. I'm sure my cash set is a bit larger that what we need but I would rather have too many chips than not enough. I have 300 .05 chips but I have only been getting 200 out lately when we play. I have 200 .25 chips, 200 $1, 150 $5, and I went with 50 $10 chips instead of going with $20 chips. Our game isn't big enough to need $20 chips. We will sometimes break into the $10 chips if we get a few rebuys but would be fine just sticking to the $5 chips. I just really like the blue $10 chips so I try to work a few into the game later on in the evening. Our tournaments are usually a $10 or $20 buy in depending on the night.

Welcome to the forum!!!! Fort Wayne here. We do a micro stakes cash game here now and then. We have .05/.10 blinds with a $10 to $20 buy in. Most people tend to buy in for the max of $20. I have separate cash and tournament sets that we use. I'm sure my cash set is a bit larger that what we need but I would rather have too many chips than not enough. I have 300 .05 chips but I have only been getting 200 out lately when we play. I have 200 .25 chips, 200 $1, 150 $5, and I went with 50 $10 chips instead of going with $20 chips. Our game isn't big enough to need $20 chips. We will sometimes break into the $10 chips if we get a few rebuys but would be fine just sticking to the $5 chips. I just really like the blue $10 chips so I try to work a few into the game later on in the evening. Our tournaments are usually a $10 or $20 buy in depending on the night.
Thanks! That seems to be the simplest way to start. I'm sure depending on how much people want to gamble, we could either keep the stakes static so we're not making people nervous or move to match the stack as people rebuy and shift the blinds up to 0.10/0.25 or 0.25/0.50 accordingly.

Any tips for making it a convenient night for everyone? I'm thinking a tournament style could help since raising the blinds would speed things up so it's not a fold fest but it could just turn into a shove fest; also having fixed payouts means I don't have to cash people out of a cash game for like $14.02 or something. I just enjoy cash style a lot more than I do tournament style, seems to be more pure in a way.

Hey all! Hoping to organize a micro stakes cash game/weekly or monthly tourney amongst friends in the near future. If anyone has advice regarding denomination preferences I'm all ears! Thinking a standard 100 big blind stack for somewhere in the .05/.10/.25/.50/1.00 blind range; wondering if it makes sense to get larger, more common denoms and sticking with a tournament format unless people are willing to play larger stakes cash?
Welcome to PCF,

For a causal micro game, I will like to start with 100 BB and 1st rebuy at 100 & 200BB.

Chip Breakdown for 5c/10c Game
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
80 x $5 20 x $20

Chip Breakdown for 25c/50c Game
100 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25 20 x $100

So to Cover 5c to $1 Stake you will need
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25 20 x $100

Thanks! That seems to be the simplest way to start. I'm sure depending on how much people want to gamble, we could either keep the stakes static so we're not making people nervous or move to match the stack as people rebuy and shift the blinds up to 0.10/0.25 or 0.25/0.50 accordingly.

Any tips for making it a convenient night for everyone? I'm thinking a tournament style could help since raising the blinds would speed things up so it's not a fold fest but it could just turn into a shove fest; also having fixed payouts means I don't have to cash people out of a cash game for like $14.02 or something. I just enjoy cash style a lot more than I do tournament style, seems to be more pure in a way.
On a cash game night the blinds are just .05/.10 and the buy in is $10 or $20. This gives everyone either 100 or 200 big blinds to start with. The blinds stay that all night but sometimes the size of some peoples bets rise later in the evening even though the blinds are the same. It never has gotten out of hand at our game.

On tournament nights we usually have a $10 or $20 buy in tournament. Mostly $20 lately but some nights we will just have a $10 night. We do rebuys for the first hour of our tourneys incase anyone busts out early. Most people plan on spending 30 to 50 bucks for the night whether it be a tournament or cash game night.

When we cash out we just round the change down to the nearest dollar. That way we don't have to mess with a bunch of change. The extra change will just get added on to the next pot or the last hand of the night or high hand or whatever we have going on like that for the evening. It is easier to not have to worry about cashing out change for everyone.

We will also throw in things like bomb pots, the 7-2 game, last man standing, and some other fun things to add a little more excitement to the cash game nights.

Welcome to PCF,

For a causal micro game, I will like to start with 100 BB and 1st rebuy at 100 & 200BB.

Chip Breakdown for 5c/10c Game
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
80 x $5 20 x $20

Chip Breakdown for 25c/50c Game
100 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25 20 x $100

So to Cover 5c to $1 Stake you will need
100 x 5c
200 x 25c
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25 20 x $100
Awesome thanks! While I could just add larger denoms later, it seems best to plan ahead and include them. Plus for group buys especially it seems like you need to get more than you need/think you want because they don't usually run multiple times.

On a cash game night the blinds are just .05/.10 and the buy in is $10 or $20. This gives everyone either 100 or 200 big blinds to start with. The blinds stay that all night but sometimes the size of some peoples bets rise later in the evening even though the blinds are the same. It never has gotten out of hand at our game.

On tournament nights we usually have a $10 or $20 buy in tournament. Mostly $20 lately but some nights we will just have a $10 night. We do rebuys for the first hour of our tourneys incase anyone busts out early. Most people plan on spending 30 to 50 bucks for the night whether it be a tournament or cash game night.

When we cash out we just round the change down to the nearest dollar. That way we don't have to mess with a bunch of change. The extra change will just get added on to the next pot or the last hand of the night or high hand or whatever we have going on like that for the evening. It is easier to not have to worry about cashing out change for everyone.

We will also throw in things like bomb pots, the 7-2 game, last man standing, and some other fun things to add a little more excitement to the cash game nights.
Thanks for all the info! Looks like I've got a lovely cash set headed my way this week to get everything started. I think bomb pots could be fun, could do double board or PLO for one hand/orbit but it might be too complicated.

Absolutely makes sense to just round change down. If people want to do tournaments I think that'll make everything easier too since there'll be fixed payouts for 1st-3rd or 4th place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom