Feedback on label design (2 Viewers)

Yes - my set has full round inlays for the frac and $1 and then a variety of shaped inlays for the rest of the set. The artwork template with bleed areas is slightly smaller for the shaped inlays as you noticed. I consider myself a pretty particular person and little things out of alignment can really bother me, but I got comfortable with the slight size difference and think they turned out well. I think the inlay design can make a difference, but in general I do not think the slight size difference is all that noticeable, but others might see it differently.

IMG-9395.jpg

Yes - my set has full round inlays for the frac and $1 and then a variety of shaped inlays for the rest of the set. The artwork template with bleed areas is slightly smaller for the shaped inlays as you noticed. I consider myself a pretty particular person and little things out of alignment can really bother me, but I got comfortable with the slight size difference and think they turned out well. I think the inlay design can make a difference, but in general I do not think the slight size difference is all that noticeable, but others might see it differently.
That set looks great. I'm gonna mull over the shaped inlay. Another reluctance I have is that I feel like my text is just barely large enough as it is on the 7/8 inlay. Here's where I am with things now:

2c4d597c-f598-4a42-986c-9f502f6dd24b.png

1inch inlays perhaps?

i would personally recommend against using 1" inlays on CSQ. the border of 1" inlays on the CSQ mold align exactly with the inside circle of the mold, creating a harsh transition. and that furthermore allows the inlay to be peeled right out with a fingernail. i assume this is why 1" inlays are not recommended by CPC for that mold.

Last edited:
Wow. I really like how these have progressed. Another example of how you can make a lovely set with a great mix of colors and spots while not exceeding L4.

I might be too late, but are you set on the denomination color used on the reverse? It looks low contrast against the other colors and a bit hard to read here- not sure how it would show in person.
Because I can’t help but fiddle with the design, here‘s a tweak. Thoughts? trying to make the text pop a bit more.
88959DC3-40FF-493D-8D60-DE9A28E2B54A.jpg
32859D9B-54CF-4829-B14C-73AFDC7E5F29.jpg

I see where the top is going. What would the other inlays look like?

I see where the top is going. What would the other inlays look like?
I would essentially use the same design but use different silhouettes for each chip. Maybe use the gas light instead of the moon in a few. The text is at its max possible size now given the limitations with leaving that space along the edge. But in earlier design I still worried it was too small.

edit-like this. Better? Worse? Same?
71884F69-D33D-4F9C-BF77-CF2B0A83B5DF.jpg
347A05D9-AE53-42B1-9C4E-6B708AD599A0.jpg

Last edited:
What you had with the face/dancer side previously looked good. The new approach brings the name front and center and allows you to expand the dancers. I like that and would be interested in seeing what it looks like across the series.

The 100 looks good, the 500 seems to get a bit busy between the footwork and 500.
0751EEE3-C5B2-4456-9828-DC7BA6785334.jpeg

If you like the new approach, I think it would be good to look at the set to make sure you’re happy with it.

What you had with the face/dancer side previously looked good. The new approach brings the name front and center and allows you to expand the dancers. I like that and would be interested in seeing what it looks like across the series.

The 100 looks good, the 500 seems to get a bit busy between the footwork and 500.

If you like the new approach, I think it would be good to look at the set to make sure you’re happy with it.
Agreed. The feet and the number were in conflict. Here I added a gradient to the dancers so their feet fade out like there’s fog or something.

I also thought I needed a new font. The thin lines on parts of the letters on the other weren’t doing me favors. I switched to an art deco style sans serif here.

Attachments

• 7FF300A6-82FE-415A-A7D9-905194F511EC.png
    7FF300A6-82FE-415A-A7D9-905194F511EC.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 103
I like them both.

When I was in this spot, I built a series of "wallpapers" for my computer, that would change randomly every minute or 10 minutes. After a while you will notice that your eyes are drawn to the version you like the best.

Here's one such wallpaper...
1619457308486.png

When the wallpaper changed, version 3 might have been where version 4 was or version 9. They all kept moving. After a while, you notice that you are "looking" for your preferred version.

It's great to have options. The MediaLuna set has really come along, but I would have a hard time deciding between the latest two.

I hope to be able to get a sample set when they come to fruition!

I like them both.

When I was in this spot, I built a series of "wallpapers" for my computer, that would change randomly every minute or 10 minutes. After a while you will notice that your eyes are drawn to the version you like the best.

Here's one such wallpaper...

When the wallpaper changed, version 3 might have been where version 4 was or version 9. They all kept moving. After a while, you notice that you are "looking" for your preferred version.

It's great to have options. The MediaLuna set has really come along, but I would have a hard time deciding between the latest two.

I hope to be able to get a sample set when they come to fruition!
Yup, prefer the left side.

Did you decide on different inlays for each side or the same one?

That’s a great suggestion to create the wallpaper. I should definitely do a progression gallery from 2015 to now to show how crappy some of the early ones were! Ha!

Here’s a few images of the just new inlays, compared with my earlier versions from yesterday, with a few more dancers.

B099295A-DA78-4020-9071-6D773C6C29C0.jpeg

D2307A82-11CE-48CD-80EF-F2A0DF7B8274.jpeg

Yes, on the reverse I would keep the big half moon with no dancer. Here’s that side updated with a new font.

22161C36-0F9E-4023-83F6-ECFFDC341A2B.jpeg

View attachment 685407
these chips are sick!! mke born and raised!

Noted. Anyone think the denoms would be better in white vs. red?
I prefer the denom to be a different color that stands out from the text.

From a trading-card game designer's prospective, we make the important information on the card (power for example) stand out on the card more than the "flavor text" (a short description of the card). On a poker chip, The denom is the "power" of the play, and the cardroom name is "flavor text".

Concur. But perhaps another color, something with more contrast? I like red and black typically. Perhaps a light green might work well? I like https://encycolorpedia.com/ for finding contrasting colors.

You can try color matching to a chip spot. Red is also universally accepted. However, the other colors don't feel right to me.

I think this is getting closer. Further thoughts, feedback?

View attachment 687984
This has really come a long way. The fog adds an atmosphere that really sells what you are going for. I like that you brought the dancers out from behind the text as well. I would suggest printing them at label size just so you can see how it will look printed but other than that these are ready to go to production IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom