Feedback on label design (2 Viewers)

This has really come a long way. The fog adds an atmosphere that really sells what you are going for. I like that you brought the dancers out from behind the text as well. I would suggest printing them at label size just so you can see how it will look printed but other than that these are ready to go to production IMO.
love the progression with the dancers. nice touch!

I would not do the color matching for denominations. You want elegance here and that is too brash. I say stick red for all denominations.
I tend to agree. Although I have done chips with color-matched denoms, I feel it is a bit trite. But if you want to go with something unusual (not red, black, or white) you need it to really fit, yet contrast, in with the rest of the chip.

love the progression with the dancers. nice touch!

Thanks for the feedback @Poker Zombie, @Mr Tree, @davislane, @warma, and @allforcharity ! I’m glad I spent a little more time digging out some more dancer silhouettes. One of them (the 5000) I traced on Illustrator from actual pictures because I couldn’t find any more stock silhouettes. On the 25, I’m redrawing her leg so it doesn’t look so much like she’s trying to kick someone on the next chip over.

I tend to agree. Although I have done chips with color-matched denoms, I feel it is a bit trite. But if you want to go with something unusual (not red, black, or white) you need it to really fit, yet contrast, in with the rest of the chip.

I think red feels right for a poker chip, but I do struggle with the fact that red is generally harder on the eyes... at least on screens. I could see going with something else that is in theme, which is why I tested a yellow-ish white that resembles the color of the moon. But I wonder if it’s too matchy-matchy.

This color denom gets my vote (blue is choice #2). The red makes this classy label trashy

1619702580512.png

Thanks for the feedback @Poker Zombie, @Mr Tree, @davislane, @warma, and @allforcharity ! I’m glad I spent a little more time digging out some more dancer silhouettes. One of them (the 5000) I traced on Illustrator from actual pictures because I couldn’t find any more stock silhouettes. On the 25, I’m redrawing her leg so it doesn’t look so much like she’s trying to kick someone on the next chip over.

I think red feels right for a poker chip, but I do struggle with the fact that red is generally harder on the eyes... at least on screens. I could see going with something else that is in theme, which is why I tested a yellow-ish white that resembles the color of the moon. But I wonder if it’s too matchy-matchy.
Maybe try violet or purple? I think you want it to feel elegant. The bright greens/oranges/yellows all clash with the elegance of the inlay.

Maybe try violet or purple? I think you want it to feel elegant. The bright greens/oranges/yellows all clash with the elegance of the inlay.

This color denom gets my vote (blue is choice #2). The red makes this classy label trashy

View attachment 688831

Here’s a few options tried. The yellowish one on top right is matched to moon. The one in the bottom middle looks pink, but it’s red on the color wheel, picking the same lightness of the others (pastelish). I used the inlay for the 25 because I was already working on it to adjust the kicking leg!

1697AB80-0FE3-4116-836E-9B59F92BEDD5.png
2BB08A13-2FAF-48BA-8F2C-A7AAB749D043.png
D797C350-37AF-42A3-95BA-9A0A1A8B9F16.png

1480D1C5-3EF1-405B-8B27-FA2CBFD5DBDF.png
4B9740CC-3316-4FDB-883F-DE96237D6E29.png
C1F0DD6D-064F-4BD9-96DA-2E0D1EF83AA0.png

The main background color is blue-ish. Red and blue are on opposite ends of the color spectrum. Therefore, it is entirely possible for these 2 colors right next to each other to cause mild headaches and play tricks on your eyes (the red looks like it moves). It is the reason I absolutely abhor Red chips with blue spots (or Blue chips with red spots (unless there is a 3rd color buffering the two).

I obviously have not spent as much time looking at these as you have, but you are correct - red may be a terrible color for this chip.

Out of these, I think the bright yellow moon colour provides the best contrast.

I was even wondering about a brighter, less pastel yellow.
Yes, I’ve looked at basically two versions of the moon yellow. One is a bit darker, which is the underlying color used for the moon before the glow. The other is an exact match of the moon with its glow, so a bit lighter. Here they are side by side:

27681B96-85EA-466C-A585-F39169F22553.jpeg
3B71A772-B1CE-4871-B6DE-710593D119D8.jpeg

I was thinking of more pop, but you may prefer the subtle. I'm a vibrant-color type of guy though, that's not everyone's style.
Untitled-1.jpg

I like the top version of the last two. Good contrast without being glaring. Do a life size test print to see if there's any real difference between shades.
I feel pretty good about that middle shade. Way easier on the eyes when compared to the red.

I know I asked earlier in the thread about shaped inlays. Here’s a comparison of the same chip with and without, and how much the design has to shrink to make it work.

AF8A0B3D-153E-4793-9F36-E4C2238C07B9.png
E38F4D3D-3F7B-4AAC-A480-0E08EB81A13F.png

Last edited:
The lighter yellow is too similar to the other font- it all blends in. I would go darker for some contrast.

I know I asked earlier in the thread about shaped inlays. Here’s a comparison of the same chip with and without, and how much the design has to shrink to make it work.

I'm not convinced that the shaped inlay is the way to go here. The standard round looks nice because it looks like you're "faux spotlighting" the silhouettes of the dancers, which (to me) gives it that film musical charm.

In all cases, I would consider making sure you see the whole of the crescent moon on both sides, without any text or graphics that overlap.

Well, it does make the moon look flatter, like a painted prop, especially with that shadow outline from the "L". Which is not necessarily a bad thing. But I would prefer an uneclipsed moon graphic because it makes it look more profound. Print it out and do some comparisons, viewing at arms length.

Well, it does make the moon look flatter, like a painted prop, especially with that shadow outline from the "L". Which is not necessarily a bad thing. But I would prefer an uneclipsed moon graphic because it makes it look more profound. Print it out and do some comparisons, viewing at arms length.
More like this?
142251B0-2255-4FFC-B12A-0F4AE182030A.jpeg

In my opinion, shaped inlays should only be used when you think they add value to the set.

Currently, I don't see them being better with the shaped inlay, so It's not even a discussion point.

Your set, of course, but I don't care for that one at all.
You guys missed my wink. Totally joking.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: This inlay design has come leaps and bounds. That first inlay I posted back in 2015 was a hot mess. Couldn't have done it without y’all’s help.

I’m going to try to get this order in today.

Last edited:
Getting this order in. Thanks for all the help! I’ll add on some extras for samples if folks are interested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom