Electric vehicle recommendations (3 Viewers)

Do you only want a pure electric, or would you be open to a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle)?
Undecided at this time, but my initial thoughts was 100% EV but I'm open to hybrid and will do some further research.

My wife will drive this mostly and has a 40 mile trip to work and they do have a few charging stations available there, so its definitely an option.

I was initially concerned about range but I think I've quickly gotten over that for EV vehicles. This will mostly be used for my wife to drive to/from work 3x a week and driving around the city. If we don't want to bother taking it on a long trip, we can take my car and feed the pump.

Thank you for all the great info so far.

For that length commute, the RAV4 Prime really might be ideal, especially if she can charge at work. (And if the charging is free... Even better.)

I have the base model (SE), but there is a higher-end model (XSE) which if you load up on bells and whistles, is in the $50K+ range. Mine was more like $40K. Not sure what they are adding if anything for 2023.

Undecided at this time, but my initial thoughts was 100% EV but I'm open to hybrid and will do some further research.

My wife will drive this mostly and has a 40 mile trip to work and they do have a few charging stations available there, so its definitely an option.

I was initially concerned about range but I think I've quickly gotten over that for EV vehicles. This will mostly be used for my wife to drive to/from work 3x a week and driving around the city. If we don't want to bother taking it on a long trip, we can take my car and feed the pump.

Thank you for all the great info so far.
Sounds like the PERFECT situation for an EV. For anyone who has free charging at work, I think it's a no-brainer. My daughter has that situation right now. We rarely have to charge the car she uses. We basically drive for free on her employers electricity.

The BZ4X is under full recall because the tires fall off. Toyota is offering to buy them all back.
I was just reading this. It's so insane given the quality of everything else from Toyota.

I'm in the beginning stages of electric vehicle research. Would love any input on resources, cars you've owned that you like/dislike, used vs new, etc.

This would replace a 2015 Ford Fusion that my wife drives about 300 miles a week. I have no brand loyalty, just looking for something that we like and finding a good deal.

I know a few different people that own a variety of electric cars and will be speaking with them as well: Model 3, Ford Mustang Mach-E, VW ID.4

Appreciate the input!
20190802_151419.jpg

I recommend they make this an EV. But it has to sound like a 427.:)

On another topic — I am eagerly awaiting the day when the electric pickup market hits its stride. Right now, there are mainly (a) very expensive options, or (b) hypothetical options. Lots of companies are promising full EV pickups, but few have hit the market, and the ones which are in production are hard to find.

I was pretty excited initially about the Rivian R1T, but there is an endless waiting list, and I think I will hold off until Rivian issues a second iteration, and other companies get their products to market. The R1T has the nicest design I’ve seen on an electric pickup, with a ton of gee-whiz options. But I need a true offroad vehicle for managing my forestry project, and I think the Rivian is at this point more aimed at Brooklyn hipsters who will never get more than 300 yards off a main road. I need to have confidence that I will not get stuck, ever, anywhere, because I go places with my current vehicle where it would be nearly impossible to get towed out...

Example of the Rivan’s limitations: They company offers no winch option for the R1T, and will not support the addition of one. They say they may offer one in the future, but until then that’s a deal-breaker. I need a winch (a) to move large trees and obstacles, and (b) as a backup in case I get stuck crossing a stream or in the mud on a swamp edge. I don’t know how they can call their vehicle a true offroad monster without this option.

F150 Lightning?

I was just reading this. It's so insane given the quality of everything else from Toyota.
Yeah, but they will fix it and everything will be good to go. Sounds like that one was a doozy, bad stuff happens.

I own an i3. It’s the absolute nuts for an in town daily driver.

It’s my wife’s grocery getter and town car. When we need a bigger vehicle we take my truck.

But I honestly steal hers more for my short trips, it’s just fun to zip around in!

Go test one out

My dad and I have been into the EVs for about 2 years now. We personally haven't jumped into the game yet, but we have been looking to hopefully get one in the near future. Last summer we got to try our first EV or hybrid EV car and it was in Finland for three weeks. I'm trying to remember which model we had whether it was an A45 or A250e hatchback, but can't remember exactly. It was a plug-in hybrid so the EV motor only did about 75-80 kms per charge which was, I'd like to say, more than enough for what we were doing. My family's hometown is very small so I'd say the most driving we did around there per day might have been 10 kms at max? Then, driving to the city where my sister was going to school for was about 77 kms. We made it there with only the EV motor and we charged it basically everyday or every other day depending on what we were doing. It generally only took maybe 1 hr or so to charge. Maybe longer. It was a really fun car and it was interesting to drive around an EV. It was my first time ever feeling that sensation of driving around a car that made no sound when moving (have to remember I basically daily drive a Procharged GTO). So, that 75-80 kms was super nice. Depending on how much you pressed the throttle down you would either only use the electric motor for the first 75 kms or if you punched it then the gas motor would kick in too. I'd say that we saved LOTS of money on gas. My family is originally from Finland so we were on vacation, but it is always nice to save money wherever we can.

If I had the chance to have that car here in Vegas I would LOVE it. Having something that's fun, sporty, has storage and something that would enable me to basically drive to work with only the electric motor would be amazing. As much as I do love driving around the GTO, I'd love to convert to an EV soon.

Tesla has always been up there as one of the best in my eyes. Considering they were one of the firsts, they have had many many tests to get things to where they are now and the sheer amount of customers makes them THE EV brand that people immediately think of. After that, I'd like to start thinking of European manufacturers like Polestar, Volkswagen, Volvo, BMW and so on. Ford, Chevy, Kia, Hyundai, then come after. There aren't many cars that I enjoy looking at (in terms of a sporty design or something that makes me excited when I look at it). I'll always have my eyes looking at something like a muscle car. Then, if you think about a muscle car with a electric motor people are going to freak out. They want that SOUND! I do too, I can't lie, but it would be very interesting to drive around in a muscle car with an electric motor.

Something that has been catching my eyes recently was the new Hyundai N Vision 74. I understand it's just a concept car for now, but if they were to make this into something real I would LOVE it. This and the Hyundai Grandeur Heritage Series EV. Those two cars would be something I'd really be interested in.

520130ace1903913305a065ed0834a11.jpg
newsroom_211112_grandeur_1120x745.0.jpg

As far as something I would be interested in that's available on the market now or very very soon would be these.
- Tesla Model 3 or Model S
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 (Dad and I have been really looking into this)
- Kia EV6 (Dad and I have been really looking into this)
- Volkswagen ID4

On the more luxury side if I had the chance I'd be interested in these:
- BMW i4
- Audi E-tron
- Lucid Air

I wanted to give you guys my insight into this world. I'm invested in LCID, Volkswagen and a few EV charging companies. I believe in it, I think it is the future and will make things better. Sure things are "expensive" right now, but give it another 5-10 years and I'd like to say that things will get cheaper. Technology will be more advanced, charging stations will be more abundant and the network will be much larger than today. I'd like to say cars will be more advanced with aero, technology, efficiency and so on. I myself do not really enjoy the self driving aspects of cars because I know that whoever is driving the car is much better than AI. So, that's my tangent. I wanted to get it out of my head so there's a possibility that I come back to this post in the future and who knows I might have an EV that I listed in my list. That would be very cool.

We purchased a MachE Awd Premium and we love it. Great range of 277mi, good infotainment and really fun to drive. Plus I think it's been Consumer Reports best EV 2yrs running. Good luck with your decision.

I have test driven it yet but the new Chevy Bolt EUV gets about 259mi range and pricing is anywhere between $35k-$44k. Plus Chevy will install their home charger kit for free.
If you're not in a huge hurry, their Silverado EV is scheduled to come out late 2023 with a base price tag of $39k and will get 400mi range.

Not ours but identical.
download.jpeg

are most of you playing a game where you are trying not to say Tesla? mind boggling that this is a page and a half in and only ~3 comments even mention Tesla.

- safest car ever tested in every category they make cars
- highest efficiency of every car category as well
- best track record of any electric car maker by a long shot
- factories in Cali and Texas create the most American made cars by % of any manufacturer, if that matters to you
- only vehicles that could increase in value over time due to over the air updates and options like Full Self Driving
- really the only company with a realistic shot at turning your car into a robotaxi/actual Full Self Driving
- Best batteries of any car under $150k in terms of kW/h per $ and kw/h per mile
- best charging network by a longshot
- literally developed the entire world EV market and freely shared their patents to carmakers around the world
- #1 choice of job for graduating Engineers is working at Tesla. #2 is SpaceX. Everyone else gets the leftovers.
- more battery range than 99% of people need
- no BS dealerships or car salesman

I can go on and on. Sure prices went up 30-40% over the last year, but this is only because there is so much demand that waitlists would be 2-5 years long if they didn't raise prices. Even with +40% waitlists are 6-12 months right now. The $7k tax credit for USA will likely increase Tesla price and wait times, so if you want one get on the waitlist now.

I would not touch anything from GE. BMW and Audi - these are okay but realize you are paying more money for a vehicle that is worse in almost every spec compared to a Tesla. Same for Porcshe. Nissan/Hyundi/Mini appear to be the budget options if you can find them.

(been a Tesla investor since 2019. Buddy has a Model S, car feels like its from the future)

are most of you playing a game where you are trying not to say Tesla? mind boggling that this is a page and a half in and only ~3 comments even mention Tesla.

- factories in Cali and Texas create the most American made cars by % of any manufacturer, if that matters to you
- only vehicles that could increase in value over time due to over the air updates and options like Full Self Driving
- really the only company with a realistic shot at turning your car into a robotaxi/actual Full Self Driving
- Best batteries of any car under $150k in terms of kW/h per $ and kw/h per mile
- literally developed the entire world EV market and freely shared their patents to carmakers around the world
- #1 choice of job for graduating Engineers is working at Tesla. #2 is SpaceX. Everyone else gets the leftovers.

I can go on and on. Sure prices went up 30-40% over the last year, but this is only because there is so much demand that waitlists would be 2-5 years long if they didn't raise prices. Even with +40% waitlists are 6-12 months right now. The $7k tax credit for USA will likely increase Tesla price and wait times, so if you want one get on the waitlist now.

I would not touch anything from GE. BMW and Audi - these are okay but realize you are paying more money for a vehicle that is worse in almost every spec compared to a Tesla. Same for Porcshe. Nissan/Hyundi/Mini appear to be the budget options if you can find them.

(been a Tesla investor since 2019. Buddy has a Model S, car feels like its from the future)
Sure but Tesla’s build quality has been a weak point for many years. Here's the latest PP100 ranking. (problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) in the first 90 days.)

Buick: 139
Dodge: 143
Chevrolet: 147
Genesis: 156
Kia: 156
Lexus: 157
GMC: 162
Cadillac: 163
BMW: 165
Ford: 167
Lincoln: 167
Nissan: 167
Mini: 168
Toyota: 172
Mazda: 180
Honda: 183
Hyundai: 185
Ram: 186
Mercedes-Benz: 189
Subaru: 191
Acura: 192
Land Rover: 193
Jeep: 199
Porsche: 200
Infiniti: 204
Jaguar: 210
Alfa Romeo: 211
Mitsubishi: 226
Tesla: 226
Volkswagen: 230
Audi: 239
Maserati: 255
Volvo: 256
Chrysler: 265
Polestar: 328

Only the base Model 3 and the Model Y will qualify for the new credit.

You nailed it man. Best Tesla fan boy parody comment I have ever read.

What Tesla model do you own?

This really just depends on the OPs budget and price sensitivity. He didn't say what his upper level budget is. I agree, Tesla is class leading in many categories. If tech is important to you, Tesla is above all the rest. The part that I highlighted in bold is the killer to me. I just think they have become overpriced. It's the same car it was, but the price has been jacked up so much. I don't fault Tesla for doing this, it's exactly as you said, the demand is so high for Teslas that if they didn't raise the price, you would just have a crazy waiting list. So, they can jack up the price, sell exactly the same number and make a lot more money. The price is market driven, simple supply and demand, capitalism at it's best.

I liken it to concert tickets. Concert tickets are crazy high these days. Some places have adapted market pricing, where if tickets are selling fast, the price actually goes up in real time. If they don't do that, the scalpers would just make the extra money. I won't pay an escalated price for a concert ticket, even if I really like the artist. But many people do.

Continuing the analogy, it's not just Tesla. Tesla raises the direct price. With other automakers with the dealership model, the dealerships are the scalpers. They add a huge dealer markup on top of the MSRP. Just like I don't pay huge scalper prices for tickets, I won't pay a dealership a $5k markup on a car. Many people do.

This really just depends on the OPs budget and price sensitivity.
This right here is paramount.

In all conversations.

Q: What XYZ should I buy?

A: Always dependent on the audience receiving the question…

I own both of my vehicles. They are not rented or leased from anyone, titles are in the safe. So my answer will ALWAYS be buy what you can own, because I believe in living well within your means. However that approach doesn’t resonate with many as everyone seems to go with what they can afford in payments.

Politely, fuuuuuuuck that.

Buy what you can own, and enjoy. If you can buy an EV Audi, and want it, I say go for it. If a Geo Metro is your budget, enjoy that too.

My 2015 BMW i3 is fantastic, and super fun. I absolutely love it everyday I zoom zoom everywhere. My 2020 Ram was a splurge retirement gift, and I enjoy it as well, but owning an EV makes me hate the V8 :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Owning both is the ticket. Gas & EV.

Last edited:
What Tesla model do you own?

none at the moment, I still have an '06 Pontiac that I bought in high school, it just hit 77k miles :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:. I live in the city and ride my bike to/from work everyday and rarely use a car. My next car will probably by a Model Y.

none at the moment, I still have an '06 Pontiac that I bought in high school, it just hit 77k miles :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:. I live in the city and ride my bike to/from work everyday and rarely use a car. My next car will probably by a Model Y.
You rarely use a car, but you're going to spend at least $70k for one, and pay outrageous amounts for insurance, etc? Save that money and invest it! If you're in the market for a Model Y though, you've probably already done your saving and investing, and $70k is a drop in the bucket! Good on you, I'm not in that position.

This really just depends on the OPs budget and price sensitivity.
This is the very beginning stages (I take forever to make a decision, spreadsheet comparisons will be made) but I would say 50k is the top end of the budget but would be more then happy to spend in the 30s. I can do all the research I want and come up with a suggestion but if my wife does not like the car, it doesnt matter. I don't think she will go for the really tiny cars and I would tend to agree. We will have to get out and test drive some of these, if possible.

Based off @Okku 's list, I think these are the 4 I'm looking at to start with.

- Tesla Model 3
- Kia EV6
- Volkswagen ID4

+ Mustang Mach-E - mainly because I've been in my friend's a few times and its pretty nice.

If I’m not mistaken, Model Y starts at ~65k? Almost 17k more then the base Model 3?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom