Electric vehicle recommendations (1 Viewer)

IaHawk

Straight
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I'm in the beginning stages of electric vehicle research. Would love any input on resources, cars you've owned that you like/dislike, used vs new, etc.

This would replace a 2015 Ford Fusion that my wife drives about 300 miles a week. I have no brand loyalty, just looking for something that we like and finding a good deal.

I know a few different people that own a variety of electric cars and will be speaking with them as well: Model 3, Ford Mustang Mach-E, VW ID.4

Appreciate the input!

Last edited:
The controller range is a little iffy but the acceleration more than makes up for it!
8C7D1A60-03FC-42DF-B47A-0961EDDF9BEB.jpeg

Ok ok.. looking forward to hearing about people’s experiences and to see what you end up picking. GLWSearch!

6.6 duramax
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Does it plug In? My 7.3 does! Lmao "it's electric" boogey woggie wogggie!

Sorry @IaHawk I had to.

My neighbor bought a Nissan Leaf, 100% electric, work is 42 miles away plus 20 - 30 extra miles a day. He plugs it in every night but says it has about a 270 mile range on one charge, he likes to keep it topped off (The Teslas definitely have better battery capacity 330 ish range according to the guys at work with the SUV Teslas)

Good luck with the hunt!

Last edited:
I don't own an EV but I rented a Chrysler Hybrid for 10 days last month, drove it from NYC to Atlantic City and back with 10 days of vacation use. Only used 1/2 tank of gas. I charged it every night.

Tldr; my next vehicle will be a hybrid.

Lucid Air has caught my eye every time I see it, haven’t been in one though

Have heard very good things about the mustang Mach E, also haven’t been in one

There’s a reason Teslas are ubiquitous

Will be following this with interest. My wife is probably changing job to one where she will drive a lot for work. Right now we have a VW Tiguan running on diesel :(.

Was looking into getting a used Tesla that qualifies for the life long free super charge thing (we have one of those reasonably close). I really liked the idea of receiving a bunch of money from her company (we would get around $3.50 taxfree per every 10km/6,7 mi she drives for work) while ”filling up” at least partly for free. Turns out that other than being a lot more expensive to buy, insurance for the Tesla would cost 4-5x that of the VW. Hard to really win at owning any car

My brother's brother-in-law has a Mach-E. He absolutely loves it. Said it's probably the best car he's ever bought. Really fun to drive and cheap to charge since he put panels on the roof. It should qualify for both the existing tax credit and the new one so you may want to check and see which will save you more if you go that route.

My brother's brother-in-law has a Mach-E. He absolutely loves it. Said it's probably the best car he's ever bought. Really fun to drive and cheap to charge since he put panels on the roof. It should qualify for both the existing tax credit and the new one so you may want to check and see which will save you more if you go that route.
Looks really cool! Not exactly cheap though. I’m curious, found it listed over here in the $75-100k range, cheaper in the US?

Looks really cool! Not exactly cheap though. I’m curious, found it listed over here in the $75-100k range, cheaper in the US?
$45-68k depending on options package. I think it qualifies for a full $7,500 federal rebate, plus state rebate if available. I think where I live that's an additional $1,500.

The first thing you need to decide is how far you plan to drive the car each day. Most people drive less than 60 miles per day. I honestly think there is too much worry about battery capacity and range. My wife has the full electric Mini Cooper and loves it, and the range is only 125 miles. It is super fast, handles great, is very fun to drive, and looks like a normal car. On top of that, after the EV tax credit of $7500, it was less than $20K out the door.

We put a level 2 ChargePoint in the garage and charge it on average 2x per week. The range has never been an issue for her because she just drives around town. If we need to take longer trips, we take my Ford Escape. I am looking to replace that with either a full electric or plug-in hybrid SUV in the near future.

E9370F9F-B046-4F8C-811B-72315F5D3356.jpg

I think I've decided that a plug in hybrid is the better choice over full electric for my needs, not because of range anxiety, just overall usefulness, along with environmental factors and overall cost. The range of some plug in hybrids is now above the miles that I would typically use in a day. For example, the Rav4 Prime. They say 40 miles electric range, but real world is most likely less. even less in winter. I live about 8 miles from work, so real world, I think I could drive all week on electric only. When I don't, it just flips over to gas. No anxiety.
If the environment plays into any part of your decision, Plug in hybrids don't require so much strip mining for the battery materials, nor is there as much to recycle when it's time. I found a video a while ago that did the math and argues that plug in hybrids are better overall for the environment than full electric. Not sure if it's correct, but something to consider.

$45-68k depending on options package. I think it qualifies for a full $7,500 federal rebate, plus state rebate if available. I think where I live that's an additional $1,500.
We have $7k environment rebate, I think. Still a lot for a car. I’m mostly an a to b type of person and don’t care too much about what I’m driving, as long as it’s reasonably comfortable and meets some basic standards.

We have $7k environment rebate, I think. Still a lot for a car. I’m mostly an a to b type of person and don’t care too much about what I’m driving, as long as it’s reasonably comfortable and meets some basic standards.
I would imagine a German made EV like a VW would be cheaper where you are anyway, wouldn't it?

Not sure about plug in hybrids. You carry the weight of two drive systems. You have the same maintenance issues of an IC car but yet you have to pull around the weight of the batteries. The trade off of the weight and environmental battery issues of a full electric is not having the maintenance issues - engine, oil changes, transmission, exhaust, less wear and tear on your brakes etc of having an IC car.

This would replace a 2015 Ford Fusion that my wife drives about 300 miles a week. I have no brand loyalty, just looking for something that we like and finding a good deal.

Do you only want a pure electric, or would you be open to a PHEV (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle)?

Since your wife is only driving an average of about 43 miles per day, she might be a candidate for the Toyota RAV4 Prime. It’s not a luxury vehicle, but it’s one of the best cars I’ve every owned. Spacious, AWD, safe, and per below, pretty darn green if you don’t drive a ton.

The RAV4 Prime has both electric and gas power. In summer, I’ve been getting 52-55 miles of range on all-electric. In winter, the heater seems to use up more energy than A/C, and the range has been more like 45 miles, though it’s officially rated at more like 42. This is much more range than most other PHEVs; previously I had a Subaru Crosstrek PHEV which only got like 20 miles at a clip.

Since I am kind of a hermit and rarely go anywhere, the 45-55 mile ange means my vehicle functions effectively as a full EV. I seldom use the gas function, due to my driving habits and have been filling it up only once every 7-9 weeks, since I so seldom go beyond the EV range. I actually fill it with non-ethanol gas (available at most if not all gas stations) as it is less corrosive when it sits for long periods.

The nice part of having that 14.5 gallon gas tank is that I don’t ever have to worry about being unable to find a charging station. If I have to go on a longer trip, the gas engine is still there. In a few years, when charging stations are more prevalent, I will probably to to full EV, but for now this specific car hits the sweet spot.

Note that I have the base model of the RAV4 Prime, but there are higher grade version with some nicer features, if she wants something more luxurious.

I've had many EVs, including a Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, and Hyundai Ioniq Electric. I love them. Iowa has pretty low electricity rates, so that's good for EVs there. Many states also have EV incentive programs, but it looks like Iowa does not, other than some kind of $500 incentive for an Iowa Electricity company. There is currently a $7,500 federal tax credit when you buy an EV from most manufacturers. This credit is expired for GM and Tesla. There is current legislation pending in the news that would change this credit for 2023. Same $7,500, but it would be available for all manufacturers again, but certain percentages of the car or battery must be made in North America to qualify, and limits are added to the sale price of the vehicle and buyers income to be eligible. You need to follow this, because it will have a huge impact on whether certain vehicles and buyers qualify for the $7,500. For example, one of the most popular EVs right now is the Hyundai Ioniq 5 / Kia EV6. It currently looks like if you buy one in 2022, you will get the $7,5000, but if purchase in 2023, no luck. Conversely, a Chevy Bolt does not qualify now, but would in 2023.

The biggest problem you are going to run into is that there simply not many EVs available currently without really long waits, and many dealers are charging over MSRP for popular models. Prices have soared even more than gas cars because of the price of gas.

Trying to decide which one is best for you is complicated. One main question is - how many long trips per year do need the car for? Can you use a different vehicle for long trips when you take them? If so, then range and charging speed are less important. I currently own a 2017 Chevy Bolt, a 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Electric, and a Honda Clarity, which is a plug-in hybrid. We use the Clarity for long trips, because I don't want to be bothered planning charging stops.

Another huge factor - Winter weather. Iowa has significant winter weather. In winter, plan on you EVs range dropping by 30%!

A quick rundown of EVs available roughly from lowest cost to higher, these are just my quick opinions:

Nissan Leaf - One of the cheapest EVs. Competent car, design getting long in the tooth. Two major issues though - Air cooled battery, bad for battery longevity, and the DC fast charge connector is CHADEMO, a dying standard.

Mini Cooper EV - cheap, fast, fun, small. Range is only 125 miles though.

Chevy Bolt EV and EUV - One of the cheapest EVs. Not exactly a looker. No tax credit now, many qualify again in 2023. Main draw is bang for the buck long range car. DC fast charging is very slow though. Deal killer if you plan to make many long trips in it. Moderate waits for cars.

Volkswagon ID4 - One of the new crop of popular crossover EVs. Well priced. Geared towards people looking for a nice simple crossover that happens to be an EV. They have had a ton of problems with their LCD screen software interface. I think they are mostly ironed out, but some people HATE their tech. Long waiting line for them.

Hyundai Ioniq 5/ Kia EV6 - Revolutionary breakthrough EV. Reasonable prices, great tech, long range, super fast DC charging speeds. I highly recommend these. The looks can be polarizing though. If you need to use your EV for long trips, definitely a top choice. Long waiting line.

Mustang Mach E - Ford capitalizing on Mustang name. Well reviewed crossover. Good at most things, not particularly great at anything. Really nice looking IMO. If you like the look/styling or want a "Mustang", for you. I believe there is still a long waiting line for these too.

Less popular models or more luxury models
Polestar 2
Genesis GV60 - Luxury cousin of the Inoniq 5/ EV6. Looks awesome if you have the budget
Audi Etron

Not quite available yet
Nissan Ariya
Subaru Solterra / Toyota BZ4X - Some strange choices here. For Subaru/Toyota fans
Cadillac Lyric - Looks super nice if you have the budget

Tesla - By far the King of EVs. Amazing unmatched tech. Great charging network. Prices were already high, and they have skyrocketed in the past year. If you have the budget, check them out for sure.

P.S. If your wife has a place to charge it at her main weekday destination (say, her workplace?), that effectively doubles the daily range. So she could commute as much as 40-50 miles, charge at work, and get back home without ever using a drop of gas.

When out of electric juice, the RAV4 Prime drives like a hybrid, getting in the 30-35 mpg range. Not bad, but not terrible. There are also options for different drive modes, including Charge mode which uses more gas but adds some electric charge as you drive. I only use this very occasionally, for example if I am driving on a flat stretch where the car gets better mileage, but know that I am approaching some long uphills where going all-electric is much preferable.

P.P.S. This car has absolutely terrific acceleration in electric mode, especially Sport mode. I turn Sport on if I have to make a turn across traffic and am worried about getting through the intersection quickly. It’s amazing how fast it can pull out and get safely into/across traffic.

I would imagine a German made EV like a VW would be cheaper where you are anyway, wouldn't it?
Most likely. Only thing is they’re more expensive than the diesel one we have, but at the same time smaller. Just would feel like I’d pay more to get a similar car, only worse. Guess it takes some getting used to when it comes to seeing the benefits of an electric car.

Not sure about plug in hybrids. You carry the weight of two drive systems. You have the same maintenance issues of an IC car but yet you have to pull around the weight of the batteries. The trade off of the weight and environmental battery issues of a full electric is not having the maintenance issues - engine, oil changes, transmission, exhaust, less wear and tear on your brakes etc of having an IC car.

See my post just after yours -- I have a PHEV, the RAV4 Prime, and it has been one of the best cars I’ve every owned. No maintenance issues so far, and it has driven for me like a full electric, since I seldom exceed its excellent range (much farther than most PHEVs). I think Toyota nailed it with this vehicle.

On another topic — I am eagerly awaiting the day when the electric pickup market hits its stride. Right now, there are mainly (a) very expensive options, or (b) hypothetical options. Lots of companies are promising full EV pickups, but few have hit the market, and the ones which are in production are hard to find.

I was pretty excited initially about the Rivian R1T, but there is an endless waiting list, and I think I will hold off until Rivian issues a second iteration, and other companies get their products to market. The R1T has the nicest design I’ve seen on an electric pickup, with a ton of gee-whiz options. But I need a true offroad vehicle for managing my forestry project, and I think the Rivian is at this point more aimed at Brooklyn hipsters who will never get more than 300 yards off a main road. I need to have confidence that I will not get stuck, ever, anywhere, because I go places with my current vehicle where it would be nearly impossible to get towed out...

Example of the Rivan’s limitations: They company offers no winch option for the R1T, and will not support the addition of one. They say they may offer one in the future, but until then that’s a deal-breaker. I need a winch (a) to move large trees and obstacles, and (b) as a backup in case I get stuck crossing a stream or in the mud on a swamp edge. I don’t know how they can call their vehicle a true offroad monster without this option.

Hard to go wrong with Toyota
Whether you desire the plug in hybrid prime or the new Toyota BZ4X.
Your biggest issue may be availability.
Most dealerships only get one or 2 Primes a year and may already have a list.
The BZ4X was limited release 2022(I think Portland Region) and gonna be full release in 23 with a better battery. But I would guess that those are actually gonna be allocated In a limited matter, maybe one or 2 per dealership. Not even sure you can get your name on one if they have huge waitlists.

Hyundai Ioniq 5/ Kia EV6 - Revolutionary breakthrough EV. Reasonable prices, great tech, long range, super fast DC charging speeds. I highly recommend these. The looks can be polarizing though. If you need to use your EV for long trips, definitely a top choice. Long waiting line.

I agree these cars have great tech. The built in inverter and support for V2L (vehicle to load) is a feature I greatly appreciate. However, Wife Approval Factor on the Ioniq 5 and EV6 are low for me. However, the Genesis GV60, built on the same platform, is the luxury performance take and its styling is more traditional. It's on my short list and the wifey approves.

I drive a gas car and am not much of a gear head these days, but sometimes park next to a Taycan that looks pretty nice. Its owner also has a Lucid. It seems like mostly Teslas at the charging stations though.

Hard to go wrong with Toyota
Whether you desire the plug in hybrid prime or the new Toyota BZ4X.
Your biggest issue may be availability.
Most dealerships only get one or 2 Primes a year and may already have a list.
The BZ4X was limited release 2022(I think Portland Region) and gonna be full release in 23 with a better battery. But I would guess that those are actually gonna be allocated In a limited matter, maybe one or 2 per dealership. Not even sure you can get your name on one if they have huge waitlists.
The BZ4X is under full recall because the tires fall off. Toyota is offering to buy them all back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom