Earthquakes and Volcano in Iceland (1 Viewer)

Gunnar

Flush
Reaction score
So we have quite the activity going on right now and everything is shaking, there is a small Volcano that will probably erupt in next few days. There is little to no danger and we call this a tourist Volcano as it is close to the airport, walk-able and should not provide any real threat to infrastructure or people.

On one hand If someone want to see an real life volcano then I can keep you posted this will be the third small eruption in few years photo from last one
1688551222940.png

On the other hand I have a fishing trip next week that might be cancelled... Not the smartest move to go fishing in a crater water next to a active area with no phone signal and earthquakes
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 08.51.46.png
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 08.59.19.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 10.31.37.png

For the last hour there are over 100 earthquakes per hour. In my town Hafnarfjordur I notice most one that are over three, in Reykjavik some of them.

This is identical activity to last two eruptions on the same area, this one is a little bit more north. The odds are in favor of the Volcano so far (I have not found any betting odds)

There are in my opinion three results here
1 - 55% odds that it will erupt in the next days and will be a standard small tourist one, best case scenario is to have it erupt at the same place as last times.
2 - 10% we get a little more powerful one and it could move a little bit further north than last time. This is an interesting option but not likely
3. 35% the earthquakes will stop and we delay the eruption that is bound to happen

Some side notes
- Volcano is better than ongoing earthquakes, there is Town quite close to the earthquakes and that sucks.
- Ongoing activity adds pressure to other earthquakes areas and if they release the pressure that can give us bigger earthquakes. There is a area close to the Capital region that has a history of 6+ Richter earthquake when other activity is ongoing and that could mean some problems, but don't worry all our buildings are built to withstand earthquakes so this is not a great risk.
- We have around dozen of Volcanos that are "due" when it comes to history. But the one we are talking about now is just a "baby" unless we see something new.

The area we are talking about now "Fagradalsfjall" is in Reykjanes and that area started erupting in 2021, we can expect it to remain on and off for years to come.

Feel free to ask questions ;)

Stay safe, bro. The fish will be there after the volcanic activity subsides (probably).

Stay safe, bro. The fish will be there after the volcanic activity subsides (probably).
Yeah I think it very unlikely that I will go, rocks falling and poison gas is not the adventure I was hoping for with my kids...

So update time! We still have a lot of earthquakes but during the night they were a little bit fewer and softer. On a side note they are also shallower, both of these things can be a clue something is about to erupt. Im sitting in Reykjavik office and I have found 4 in the last hour.
Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 10.09.09.png

Current status,

The magma is now that close to the surface that it can break the surface without any noticeable earthquakes or other measurements. It is still a possibility that it will slow down and go back down but it that is the unlikely option.

In other news we are having trouble with tourists not listening to warnings and have few hundred of them roaming the area because it's fun to see the aftermatch of last eruptions. There have been some discussions on closing the area or other options but it is safe to say that is you are standing on a active volcano ground that is about erupt there are chances that if it erupts we can't safe you...

ps. the number one couse for deaths in Icelandic nature are tourists that do not following warnings. We don't have a single animal or insect that can kill you. But this thing called stupidity is quite deadly when you have boiling water geysers, hot lava, underground caves and glaciers in addition to weather that changes faster than people can imagine...

Last edited:
ps. the number one couse for deaths in Icelandic nature are tourists that do not following warnings. We don't have a single animal or incest that can kill you. But this thing called stupidity is quite deadly when you have boiling water geysers, hot lava, underground caves and glaciers in addition to weather that changes faster than people can imagine...
it is unlikely "incest" is the word you are looking for there...

Very interesting, also following!

In other news we are having trouble with tourists not listening to warnings and have few hundred of them roaming the area because it's fun to see the aftermatch of last eruptions.

Uh, they'll be fine with their foolproof safety method:

f387069c-7e63-4dbb-a0f2-ab8d40a677eb_text.gif

Magma has less than 1KM to surface,
4.8 earthquake this morning,
We have confirmed that there is more magma under the area now than 2 previous eruptions hinting that it could be a little bigger one.

We already have a lot of people excited and ready to try to get the first picture. This is a photo from last one, quite small and cute but cool to look at.
1688725335824.png

We have smoke in the old lava from previous eruptions! Things are getting hot!

Now the question is just where it will break through, either there or more north.

What's the over/under line for stupid tourist deaths when it erupts?

My wife just left Iceland last week. She was there touring and she spent a lof of time touring the Reykjanes peninsula. We were stationed at Keflavik NATO base back in 2004 and hiked up Keiler and all over that area. I kayaked in Kleifervatn. The only place we saw any volcanic activity was on Westmann Islands. Keep the updates coming, this is very interesting.

So the Magma is that close that GPS does not work to narrow it down more than less than 1km from surface. So now we are just playing guess where the lava will erupt and hope no one is standing on top of the place that happens...

@dajebriza wow that is awesome to hear! I will keep this thread posted :)

We had a weird earthquake yesterday that was felt nationwide but still only around 5. Magma is now less than 500meters and experts are puzzled why it has not erupted yet. We want an eruption as building pressure all over the country is a worse alternative to the baby volcanos in Reykjanes...

Do Something GIF by America's Next Top Model

There has been smoke coming from the ground from time to time to add on the suspense...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom