Dreams of a Custom set (2 Viewers)

brewdawg

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
So I have been thinking for a long time about making a custom set based on a patch from my dad's time serving in Japan. I was born at Camp Zama while he was stationed there. The main patch I thought about using in some way has a silhouette of Mt. Fuji. And then I found another patch for Camp Zama in the google image library. Then I found a challenge coin for Camp Zama that I like the image on as well.

mt fuji patch.jpg
camp zama patch.jpg

camp zama challenge coin.jpg

Thoughts or ideas on how I could use one or both of these? Suggestions from any of you that have done custom chips are always welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice idea. I like the 2nd patch, it seems like a good mix of design elements close to home with the Zama theme, without being too “busy” Of a design suitable for an inlay. The coin seems to have so much going on in the design, that adding chip denominations on top of that may detract the eye from the design or the denominations.

Un-labeled chips, with custom labels, unless the producer can do different labels on each side. Use the Mt. Fuji on one side (It got plenty of a open area to include the denomination) and the camp patch on the other side, just slightly tweeked to move the wording inside the body of the circle.

I think its a great idea with a wonderful personal connection.

Un-labeled chips, with custom labels, unless the producer can do different labels on each side. Use the Mt. Fuji on one side (It got plenty of a open area to include the denomination) and the camp patch on the other side, just slightly tweeked to move the wording inside the body of the circle.
I think its a great idea with a wonderful personal connection.

that was sort of the way I was leaning when I found the second patch. Using it on one side with possibly a small denomination on it. And then the Mt. Fuji patch on the other side with a larger denomination.

that was sort of the way I was leaning when I found the second patch. Using it on one side with possibly a small denomination on it. And then the Mt. Fuji patch on the other side with a larger denomination.

I think the "camp zama" side will be too busy to try to include a denom, but then again there are some very talented graphic artists here who might be able to pull it off.

If you arent locked in on the chip style, you could have these made as custom ceramics, which would give you a much larger area for the patch details.

I have debated doing a custom set of Ceramics. Having trouble deciding which way I would rather go.

If you go ceramics, you can do a completely customized face, with different faces on each side. Something like this? PM me if you want some help with the design.

Camp Zama.png

So I played around a little with the design that efdenny sent, and will definently need his help to clean this up. But I at least have a little more of an idea if I go with clays from CPC. Thoughts on these are appreciated. If I decide to go ceramic I think I will keep this inlay on one side and the other one that @efdenny did on the other.

Attachments

• 500 chip.png
    500 chip.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 100 chip.png
    100 chip.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 25 chip.png
    25 chip.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 10k chip.png
    10k chip.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 1000 chip.png
    1000 chip.png
    80 KB · Views: 70
So I have started playing around with generative AI (gotta love when you get to play as part of your job), and had it come up with a couple of new ideas for the insert on these chips. Here are the 2 I liked the best. Are these even feasible on clays?

Camp Zama Poker Room Logo5.png
Camp Zama Poker Room Logo6.png

So I have started playing around with generative AI (gotta love when you get to play as part of your job), and had it come up with a couple of new ideas for the insert on these chips. Here are the 2 I liked the best. Are these even feasible on clays?

View attachment 1314477 View attachment 1314478
I like the first one! Would need to massage it a bit to slot in a denomination, but that would definitely work on CPC or clay relabels.

I like the top better as-is, but think you can make a better inlay from the bottom.

Fix the text arc, clean up the stars and art at 3 and 9. You have clubs in the background and a spade in the chip, so I would add a heart and diamond (or several), maybe at the 3 and 9 positions.

I like the top one. I'd remove the spades, cards and chips, center the star, between the text on the rim, and add a denim to see how it looks.

Some of the detail is too fine. Remember, it's going on an inlay that's 7/8-1" diameter.

It might be clearer on a full face ceramic, where you have 1.5" diameter to work with.

Reactions: mho
I like how your not rushing into this project. Reeeaaaaally taking your time fleshing this one out :tup:
1000024131.gif

I like the left one, but I think the color is better on the right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom