Do your partners complain about chipping? (1 Viewer)

@toynoob, Not a bad thing at all to ask what wives/gf's think, and nobody suggested that it was.

I don't want to derail this thread. PM me if you want to discuss.

The OP admitted he changed it back and forth, so that means he can't have a thought without someone jumping his back for political snowflake sensitivity safe space wording. How do I need to calm down? I'm asking they check the garbage at the door so I don't have to see it here in a chipping forum. The OP wants to know about what wives/gfs think why is that a bad thing?
I appreciate to be correct. it’s not about beeing pc

The OP wants to know about what wives/gfs think why is that a bad thing?
Because not everybody here has a wife/girlfriend. Some have fiances, husbands, or significant others. Some may share their beds with goats, for all I know (I don't judge).

Best bet to include all of the collectors here is to use the more general term 'significant other'. And not because it's politically correct (I couldn't care less about such trivial and meaningless crap), but because it's more applicable to what he's really wanting to ask about.

Shouldn't this thread title be "partner" to allow for husbands/gender non-specific complainants to weigh in?
My girlfriend would love that post. Might have to show her to be like, ‘see these are great guys’ lol
She supports chipping...gets annoyed that I’m constantly on the forum - especially if I check in during one of the movies she picks...hates when I shuffle chips. She knows the prices, thinks I’m crazy, but respects that you pay for quality. I’m more into custom chips and playable sets than collectibles.
Detroitdad (can’t figure out how to tag), that’s awesome how you fund your collection. I have run games to help offset the chip costs. I do love playing, but I think I love the chips more. There is something about orchestrating huge chip stacks that’s so satisfying.

Because not everybody here has a wife/girlfriend. Some have fiances, husbands, or significant others. Some may share their beds with goats, for all I know (I don't judge).

Best bet to include all of the collectors here is to use the more general term 'significant other'. And not because it's politically correct (I couldn't care less about such trivial and meaningless crap), but because it's more applicable to what he's really wanting to ask about.
100% agree

Best bet to include eveybody is to use the more general term 'significant other'. And not because it's politically correct (I couldn't care less about such trivial and meaningless crap), but because it's more applicable to what he's really wanting to ask about.
I agree 100% my point Dave is if he wanted to know about wives/gfs then leave it at that. Don't let people beat you up for leaving their goat spouse out of the convo. So he has to now edit his post to include goat spouses. If he wanted to know what your boyfriend's thought of you buying chips he would of originally asked.

My girlfriend would love that post. Might have to show her to be like, ‘see these are great guys’ lol
She supports chipping...gets annoyed that I’m constantly on the forum - especially if I check in during one of the movies she picks...hates when I shuffle chips. She knows the prices, thinks I’m crazy, but respects that you pay for quality. I’m more into custom chips and playable sets than collectibles.
Detroitdad (can’t figure out how to tag), that’s awesome how you fund your collection. I have run games to help offset the chip costs. I do love playing, but I think I love the chips more. There is something about orchestrating huge chip stacks that’s so satisfying.
Just use the @ symbol in front of their name

I'm so happy to have three games running. It was hard work to get to this stage and required a lot of effort. still need to acquire new players all the time
My wife would complain(read divorce my ass) even more if I had 3 games a week running. I'm lucky to either host or get away to a game once a month, but she's an MD with fluctuating call schedule and we have three active kids 10 and under. She has an idea what I spend, but for the last year almost every purchase has been made by selling excess chips. She has her monetary vices too, and I would venture to guess costing more than mine

I don’t care much for PC. I love chips and the forum. To me it doesn’t matter what the op says. But, I don’t see the harm of editing it if it makes it friendlier.

When faced with chip-related pushback, you could always mention that your (other) girlfriend is fine with chipping.

It doesn’t work as well with the term “fiancé” and pretty much sounds like a creepy polygamist thing when substituting the word “wife.”

@toynoob, I’m from nyc, the capital of PCness so I totally get where your coming from. I go through a lot of mental eye rolling, but you kind of get used to it. If you believe you have good values, that’s all that matters.

@toynoob, I’m from nyc, the capital of PCness so I totally get where your coming from. I go through a lot of mental eye rolling, but you kind of get used to it. If you believe you have good values, that’s all that matters.

Lol I know what you’re saying but you are not from the capital of PCness. I live in San Francisco...

Edit: strangely enough, on a day to day, person to person basis SF isn’t nearly as PC as it’s portrayed.

it was about partners. I was not sure if "partners" is the common term, so I changed it to "wifes/gfs"
Bo
I don’t care much for PC. I love chips and the forum. To me it doesn’t matter what the op says. But, I don’t see the harm of editing it if it makes it friendlier.
I personally hate PC enough to stand up to it. If you admit to not liking it but then in the same sentence cave into it you lose to it. It looks as if I'm alone on the subject. So maybe I should cave too and say "ok let's all get back to peace and love matrix"

Bo
I personally hate PC enough to stand up to it. If you admit to not liking it but then in the same sentence cave into it you lose to it. It looks as if I'm alone on the subject. So maybe I should cave too and say "ok let's all get back to peace and love matrix"
"ok let's all get back to peace and love"

I agree 100% my point Dave is if he wanted to know about wives/gfs then leave it at that. Don't let people beat you up for leaving their goat spouse out of the convo. So he has to now edit his post to include goat spouses. If he wanted to know what your boyfriend's thought of you buying chips he would of originally asked.
I don't think he intended to exclude anybody.

Your overzealous response seems to stem from confusing 'intended completeness' with 'political correctness'. Not the same.

Bo
You’re right. I do cave because I just don’t care enough of what other people feel is right. It’s like picking your battles. I completely respect how you feel and I’m sure you are not a bad guy for it.
I would much rather argue how plastic chips are awesome!

Disclaimer . . . . my poker chip costs are well into five figures, but my rule is I can only spend money on chips, art etc. out of money won at the poker table. It has no impact on the rest of our budget. I didn't have to take the cost of the new "Poker Emporium" out of my poker bankroll. . . . . thank goodness!

My wife has no problem with the chips aside from wondering "why another set?" when something shows up. She is quite blunt about how much other men's hobbies cost. Me playing poker at home is relatively small potatoes and poker in general pays for itself.

Hunting is going to cost $1,000+ per year, could be much more if exotic game is involved. Toss in travel and related expenses, makes a new chip set look like a bargain.

We have a family member involved in professional motorcycle racing popping off $10,000+ year. Maybe someday he will win enough prize money to cover costs, but it has been ten years and he is not close. If we added in medical costs, it would be even worse.

Firearm enthusiasts can spend excessively. Same thing with watches or other collectables.

Unspoken, but understood, girl friends are the pinnacle of pricy men's hobbies.

Even something like duplicate bridge is shockingly costly. If I were going for life master, those costs would overwhelm my poker expenses.

So. . . . no, my wife doesn't care. Yes we know what the costs were and will likely be in the future. But the costs don't affect the rest of our lives.

DrStrange

I don't think he intended to exclude anybody.

Your overzealous response seems to stem from confusing 'intended completeness' with 'political correctness'. Not the same.
Words from the wise. I guess assuming what someone says is no longer needed to judge the statement, as long as they back pedal far enough to include all. Where have I been jeez easy enough.

I'm a small player in the poker chip world, my collection is down to basically just what I use in games. This hobby started for me in 2008 and I only met my wife in 2015 (married 2016). The dollars tied up in poker chips tends to fluctuate wildly, but always goes back up or down to right around the same number it's been for a few years now. She has her own hobbies that never bring any money back, and actually gets a little jealous when I replenish the chip fund with a sale. I don't have to, but if I make a larger purchase I'll always mention it, no different that what she does if she spends some money. She certainly doesn't know all the exact numbers, but I have a spreadsheet. I've also told her that if something ever happens to me, to log in here at PCF and you guys will help her if she wants to liquidate the chips.

And for the record, she not only thinks I'm crazy, but thinks the same about the rest of you folks;).

If your SO complains about your chipping, replace the SO. It's your money, do what you want with it. Anyway chipping is far less risky to the family finances than playing poker!

A few years ago my wife had a boudoir photo shoot done for Valentine's day. The photos came in a nice hardcover book and after all was said and done she had spent just over $1000 on it. That's when I decided to tell her that I bought a set of the Horseshoe WSOP chips which cost around the same (or maybe it was $899 I can't remember). We had a small argument but never went past that. Her reasoning was that it was ok for her to spend that money because it was a gift for ME and I was wrong to spend that money on a something for ME.

It took me a while for her to understand why they cost so much and why it was important for me to provide an authentic poker experience for my guests. I don't ask for much throughout the year and I only make maybe 1 or 2 big purchases every 2 years while she goes shopping all the time so it kinda evens out.

Now that she plays poker with us she's much more into the chips and gives me less of a hard time. I love her and she's the best

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom