Do your partners complain about chipping? (1 Viewer)

All this talk about chips. We need some pictures. My current collection of sets.

View attachment 248196

Great pr0n intermission. After continually seeing your pictures (a genuine thank you btw :) ) I have decided that the Mardi Gras set is top top on my grail list.

Oh, and to the OP's question. The sets and chips get out of control occasionally, but honesty and openness always wins out - so "No." Plus - every once in a while I get these unprompted nihilst moments where I'm like, "Why am I building another set, one is functional."

Then I refresh the classifieds....and see more pretty chips...

My wife (not a poker player) knows about my chips (I show her new ones as they come in to see if she likes them).
Heck, she sees half of them every time she opens the closet door in our bedroom.
She actually used to collect swizzle sticks, though her "collection" is a micro fraction of my chip collection.
She knows what I paid in general, but probably doesn't know overall totals (more from lack of concern/interest).

on a side note, I find it odd that someone has 7 posts in this thread pushing their agenda, hypocritically not leaving Their garbage at the door, making assumptions about the original poster's intentions and insinuating the original poster was coerced into something... all the while, not even responding to the OP's question.. nice work.

@Lemonzest Curious what moves you use? Do you use the half nelson? I got most my W's with the head lock so I can see the expression on their face.

Thank you sir. Sometimes I think I post too many pictures of the same thing. I just can't help myself.

Good Luck. It took me 4 years to get my playable set. That was all thanks to @chipjoker
I think you meant someone else helped you with the Mardi Gras set.

As for the OP's question:

She Does NOT complain. Now that I am down to three sets and I take her to a nice dinner once in a while, she has nothing to complain about.
Also, I buy ALL poker chips and items using SIDE WORK money, sold chips, and/or Poker winnings..

I tell my wife everything..Yes, Everything..

My wife knows I have a bunch of chips and typically doesn't really care when a new package arrives. She knows they're worth a lot but nothing exact. Poker/chips and bourbon are my only relatively expensive hobbies - outside of those items, I'm pretty frugal (her words - better than cheap, but I prefer "cost efficient" lol). And my chips are paid for with money from either my side business, Christmas/b-day money, or poker winnings, so no issues.

I’ve probably spent around £3.5k so after Brexit that’ll be around €5 :LOL: :laugh:
The way I see it they’re not going to go down in value so it’s like an investment. No different to buying Rolex watches, stamps or in my case guitars. If ever things get sticky I can always sell them.
FYI, my wife and I are flying into Glasgow in August for a vacation, just in case anybody needs some chips smuggled into the UK. :sneaky:

Yeah I usually end up on top for the pin but occasionally get penalized for ending a round early....

I'm confused...
How is inclusiveness being PC? I was under the impression it was just courteous to those who have made a choice. How that impacts anybody publicly is beyond me.
We collect chips. We show and design chips. That is all. Chips look the same regardless of who or what you call a significant other.

/End rant.

We are a pretty social couple, so I think she just sees it as part of the process of hosting poker night. The only time I was told that a purchase was ridiculous was the hot dog roller. Now she loves that thing, it comes out when we entertain.

That’s my summer holiday budget blown then :LOL: :laugh:

Whereabouts are you going when you’re here? Have you been before?
First visit! The trip is for our wedding anniversary, and we're going to spend about 10 days just in Scotland. We're still figuring out our itinerary, but we're going to do a loop around and probably hit Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, some of the Highlands (not sure if we'll make all the way to the northern end or not) and over to Isle of Skye.

We are a pretty social couple, so I think she just sees it as part of the process of hosting poker night. The only time I was told that a purchase was ridiculous was the hot dog roller. Now she loves that thing, it comes out when we entertain.
Same with my wife. Now she comes down for dogs, and has taken it to her school a few times for events.

Do your partners complain about chipping?

In all seriousness, if I inform my wife that I'm looking at some new chips she'll just roll her eyes and smirk at me, as if saying "Of course you're getting more chips." She knows there are worse outlets to spend money on. Plus, she knows that I've financed a large swath of my purchases via PCF Classified/eBay sales of various things.

My woman is a chip-loving person, who helped clean and oil every last one of the 1600 Athenian Owls. She 's actually in love with the Owls.
What she loves even more is the Black Cat dealer button @Toby
She has started complaining lately about my getting even more chips (Paulson Pharaohs and others, for relabelling), having realised that the total price tag has exceeded whatever she considers reasonable.
She advises me against selling the Porsche 911 Carrera GTS though, in spite of the fact that this jewel/beast is costing us the price of raising one kid and a half.:LOL: :laugh:

First visit! The trip is for our wedding anniversary, and we're going to spend about 10 days just in Scotland. We're still figuring out our itinerary, but we're going to do a loop around and probably hit Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, some of the Highlands (not sure if we'll make all the way to the northern end or not) and over to Isle of Skye.
Do you know anyone over here or do you want some tips? Do you plan on playing golf (we’ve got more courses than people) or visiting distilleries?
Are you planning on seeing some castles and doing tourist stuff or after some hidden gems? If you want any pointers I’m happy to help.

My wife has a job and spends money on what she wants and I have a job and spend money on what I want. We are both responsible adults so we could care a less what the other spends on what.
She thinks I am absolutely crazy as well as all of you on this forum. Not to mention the "insanity" discussions I got from her and my daughter when I went to my first meet up not having ever met any of you in person. (My daughter text me mid way through the night asking if I still had both kidneys)
She knows poker is my passion and over the last 20 years has learned to accept it is what makes me happy.

One thing that has worked well for me over the years is when I win $$$ I throw her a bone. So now my hobby that is generally profitable is sometimes profitable for her also. I get a lot less eye rolls about playing poker and buying chips since I started doing this.

Last edited:
One thing that has worked well for me over the years is when I win $$$ I throw her a bone. So now my hobby that is generally profitable is sometimes profitable for her also. I get a lot less eye rolls about playing poker and buying chips since I started doing this.

I started doing this several years ago. When I win I give her the equivalent to what the tourney buy-in was. Helped get her on-side. Unfortunately when I am in a downswing (like I currently am), I hear about how I had better win or not come home. ;)

On the original subject, I don't discuss quantity or cost, although I know she has suspicions and could likely guess close to the amount. We keep separate bank accounts and as long as our mortgage is paid, we have money in savings and investments, I am all good.

I started doing this several years ago. When I win I give her the equivalent to what the tourney buy-in was. Helped get her on-side. Unfortunately when I am in a downswing (like I currently am), I hear about how I had better win or not come home. ;)

On the original subject, I don't discuss quantity or cost, although I know she has suspicions and could likely guess close to the amount. We keep separate bank accounts and as long as our mortgage is paid, we have money in savings and investments, I am all good.

Plus all you have to do is show her one of those $1,000,000,000,000 chips you have and she'll know you are making wise investments. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

We abide by the don't ask don't tell theory regarding hobbies/collections. She likes, shoes, purses, jewelry, etc.
I like useless old stuff from swap meets, garage sales (wink, wink).
You know, vintage chips, cards, guns, memorabilia, comics, watches.....discarded stuff nobody really wants. Lol.

My wife has a Lusitano horse that she does dressage with so I don't really catch much flak when I spend a little money on chips. Hell her horses board is like half of what our mortgage payment is each month which just blows my mind...

Although the PC issue is clearly emanating from the US, I, though a non-American, would be happy to discuss it if others are willing to open a specific thread in the Politics section.
For the time being, let me share some humorous pics

For those of you who didn't take any Latin classes: "We 're not eating any dairy products, or eggs, or meat, or gluten; what do you suggest that we take?"
Waitress (sweetest Italian waitress ever)| "A taxi":D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom