Dinner Plans? (22 Viewers)

So are you saying you wouldn’t be interested in some hairy balls? Rambutan
B25C04AE-C902-420E-9A60-665990D07BCD.jpeg

It’s hard to describe but I guess it tastes like a sweet tropical fruit with a lightly tart finish and some floral notes. It’s white flesh fruit like a grape but more firm over the seed.

It’s hard to describe but I guess it tastes like a sweet tropical fruit with a lightly tart finish and some floral notes. It’s white flesh fruit like a grape but more firm over the seed.
Hmm sounds interesting. Thank you! I love all fruit so I'm always curious with new ones

Hit with a stomach virus 2 days before Thanksgiving. Virus run-bad continues 5 days later. While it put a damper on Turkey day, we still muscled through.

1st course: Oysters Rockinfeller (oysters, bacon, mushrooms, onion, bread crumbs, and white wine).
1575240117461.png

2nd course: Butternut Squash Soup with Pumpkin Oil.
1575240200854.png

Glamor shot of the bird. Dry-brined (some would call it salt cured, but people love the term "brine" these days). Applewood smoked and stuffed with onions, and lemon, with Sage and Rosemary from the garden.
1575240397324.png

The serving table for the main course, with the carved bird, Gravy #2 (utilizing the giblets from the bird), Gravy #1 (from earlier post), riced golden potatoes, Cranberry sauce (a key to future sandwiches), Brussel Sprouts with Chorizo, Pop-Over Rolls, Dressing with macerated cherries, and almonds, and of course the trademark-level green bean casserole (mushroom soup made from scratch).
1575240858499.png

The beverage for the Main:
1575240891353.png

My lighter than normal serving...
1575240916897.png

Dessert was an Apple Pie with homemade Vanilla-Cinnamon Ice Cream (not pictured):
1575241034628.png

My wife loves filet steaks. The local butcher shop we go to charges $25/lb for it though so I buy the entire loin myself most of the time and cut them myself for almost 1/2 the price.

View attachment 375546View attachment 375547View attachment 375548
That boys and girls, is how tenderloin/filets are done. It's a little work, but soooo worth the price. Plus, you get the chain - the best added beef in any noodle, rice or vegetable dish - and it's essentially free when you carve your own.

That boys and girls, is how tenderloin/filets are done. It's a little work, but soooo worth the price. Plus, you get the chain - the best added beef in any noodle, rice or vegetable dish - and it's essentially free when you carve your own.

I worked at a butcher shop in high school. Learned a lot of useful skills, this being my favorite! Used it during college when I was the prep cook at a local steak house cutting steaks every morning. The chain is a lot of work but has so much meat in it. Most places cut it off and toss it, such a waste.

I learned from Alton Brown's Good Eats. Prior to that, I was clueless as to how much money I was throwing away.

I still struggle on carving up chickens though. I had a friend once described it a "carving with a hand grenade". She was not wrong. But beef is so easy, and there are now dozens of videos available so anyone can learn.

Clearing the fridge/freezer makes for interesting dinner choices. Today, it was a Cincinnati Chili inspired dish. Chicken Habanero chili.
1576018020944.png

Way more kick than Cincinnati Chili, so I'm calling it Cleveland Chili... although I suspect @Rhodeman77 may disagree with the chicken for beef substitute.

Post poker dinner with the wife. Chicken fried chicken with rosemary roasted potatoes, butter corn and some home pickled jalapeños
E5AD0E4B-C5EF-4673-A4F7-11D9A3B22D41.jpeg

Post poker dinner with the wife. Chicken fried chicken with rosemary roasted potatoes, butter corn and some home pickled jalapeños
View attachment 379859
We had that discussion at work the other day. Without Googling (because that is how intellectual challenges are fought), what differentiates chicken fried chicken from fried chicken? o_O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom