Dinner Plans? (9 Viewers)

I love it when someone posts in this thread, so I don't have to figure out what to cook for dinner.

Braised lamb shanks at the Zombie household tonight!

E0394B07-4DA1-4FF2-A5F7-4EB27B1DFE12.jpeg

OK, so I have a batch of black garlic completing its two weeks of roasting tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone have any particular recipes using it?
Or any other suggestions? TIA...

I've used it primarily on bread or in soups... although I'm sure I've used it other places as well. Never made my own, but when I've bought some it's like a challenge to find different ways to use it.

I've used it primarily on bread or in soups... although I'm sure I've used it other places as well. Never made my own, but when I've bought some it's like a challenge to find different ways to use it.

Yeah bread -- or toast -- seems to be common. Soups are logical, but the flavor might be too easily lost in most of them. And it seems like a bit of a waste, since you can even buy "squirt" garlic now.

I was thinking maybe a sauce for, or just brushed onto, sauteed pork tenderloin...might work.

I found it to be very sticky - it would spread well on bread that had been toasted (British fried bread style) with a little olive oil, but would tend to tear regular italian bread. In a soup it would need to be a very light broth based soup without a lot going on (leek soup) or use a bit more in a simple cream soup (like a black garlic/mushroom soup).

OK, so I have a batch of black garlic completing its two weeks of roasting tomorrow afternoon....

Just realized I never posted the result. Terrific rich but very smooth garlic flavor. No bite at all.
BlackGarlic2.jpg

They looked like this when opened after two weeks of very low-temperature (~140 deg. F) roasting:
BlackGarlic1.jpg

And to make them relevant, I used two layers of USPS sfrb cardboard from chip arrivals in the bottom of the rice cooker, so the garlic wouldn't burn. You can see they accumulated some fat/liquid from somewhere, even though I had the foil pretty tightly crimped.
BlackGarlic3.jpg

Last edited:
Picanha and sous vide cheesecake! Followed a recipe from Sous Vide Eveything youtube channel. Turned out AMAZING! Sorry, no pics of the finished cheesecake. Consumed way too quickly.
20180708_114713.jpg

20180705_202243.jpg

2 filets (med rare) accompanied by broccoli, green beans, and potatoes from this week’s CSA bounty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom