Dinner Plans? (14 Viewers)

I did a Moroccan themed dinner yesterday (food challenge on the cooking forum that I hang out at).

Grilled Moroccan Chicken served with roasted garlic/carrots and a saffron rice pilaf with veggies. The chicken was fantastic. Honestly, the carrots stole the show.

20180729_180643.jpg

Survived the first week of school with the students. Therefore steak, potatoes, a Scotch (Laphroaig 18) on the agenda for today.

15339411603125082108908421048723.jpg

Wife is visiting family for the next 3 weeks so I'm cooking for one. Last night was reverse seared filet topped with gorgonzola with sautéed squash

View attachment 193232

Tonight was spicy peanut-teriyaki chicken with kale, carrots, and brussel sprouts topped with Chopped peanuts

View attachment 193233
Holy cow, those look delicious!

I cook when my wife is gone, but it usually involves pizza rolls!

Last edited:
Oysters at Pearl Dive Oyster Bar, DC. Supposedly in order from mildest to fullest flavor, top to bottom, but the Malpeques deserve to be much further down on the list. Sunberrys are excellent. And as my wife has noted before, Old Black Salts, despite being from Virginia, are amazing!

20180822_184131.jpg

Along with -- of course -- a Muscadet to wash them down:
20180822_190345.jpg

Oysters at Pearl Dive Oyster Bar, DC. Supposedly in order from mildest to fullest flavor, top to bottom, but the Malpeques deserve to be much further down on the list. Sunberrys are excellent. And as my wife has noted before, Old Black Salts, despite being from Virginia, are amazing!

View attachment 195207

Along with -- of course -- a Muscadet to wash them down:
View attachment 195208
A baffling oyster selection. Not bad, but baffling. The oyster bars I've been to usually focused on radically different regions, and you have mostly northeast, with just 2 west coast (and both those are Washington)

A baffling oyster selection. Not bad, but baffling. The oyster bars I've been to usually focused on radically different regions, and you have mostly northeast, with just 2 west coast (and both those are Washington)

Well, for one thing, it is August, a no "R" month, so availability might be an issue.

I'm not an oyster lover, but my wife is. She finds flabby Gulf oysters disgusting, and west coast oysters without exception lacking in flavor and brininess. And she generally doesn't care for anything from the east coast south of MA, which is why the Old Black Salts are such a revelation. So that leaves her New England and points north, plus French oysters, to enjoy.

Are there specific west coast oysters that you'd recommend?

None that I would recommend, but while I like the occasional oyster, I am not a aficionado. Clearly, your wife is, and she already knows what she likes. I typically need to run the gamut of regions all over again because I will have forgotten which ones I like be the next time I have them again.

I certainly don't take issue with their method (mildest to strongest flavors), but it was unusual. I didn't consider the seasonality though either.

Go to a chip forum, learn a little more about oysters. I love this place. :)

I made a pretty damn good jambalaya with leftovers from yesterday's grilling.

20180826_180455.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom