Dinner Plans? (7 Viewers)

Top round roast, roasted veggies, and baked potatoes

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 105905 This was what we had on Sunday

I like that grilling basket. Most of the ones I've found are Teflon coated. Teflon breaks down at around 350° F, although DuPont claims it is safe until 662°, at which point studies have shown the off-gas is toxic to birds and small pets, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans. Since my grill often exceeds those temps with certain meals, I can only use my basket with low and slow meals.

I like that grilling basket. Most of the ones I've found are Teflon coated. Teflon breaks down at around 350° F, although DuPont claims it is safe until 662°, at which point studies have shown the off-gas is toxic to birds and small pets, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans. Since my grill often exceeds those temps with certain meals, I can only use my basket with low and slow meals.

I need something like that as well. Thanks @BUBBLE

I got that one at either Canadian tire or Walmart. I was at CT on the weekend and saw smaller round ones while looking for something else.

I need something like that as well. Thanks @BUBBLE

I forgot I had an allergic reaction the last time I had the amberjack at Rod and Reel Pier and it happened again tonight - hives and itchiness. I guess no more amberjack for me :(

I forgot I had an allergic reaction the last time I had the amberjack at Rod and Reel Pier and it happened again tonight - hives and itchiness. I guess no more amberjack for me :(

Certainly not a good thing. Though good to know where the allergy is coming from.

@Poker Zombie has wanted a Sous Vide for years. He finally pulled the trigger recently, making fish the first dish. Yesterday, he made steak (if you read this thread, it's the steaks I got home, decided were too small for my liking, and went back to the store to buy new steaks). Those have been in the freezer; they were whipped out, thawed, then put in the Sous Vide. During the time they were cooking, research occurred about putting a sear on the steaks. The final decision - a torch and the grill (no lit charcoal).

2017-07-04 web.jpg

Then, my crazy guy decided to use up some leftover fruit from Poker Night....specifically watermelon. Yes, your eyes do not deceive you, I said watermelon. That was the best steak sauce I've had.

2017-07-04 19.27.27.jpg

Even PZ thought it was good.

2017-07-04 20.03.32.jpg

Grilled Lime Salmon with Mango-Avacado Salsa and Grilled Sweet Potatoes tossed in Cilantro Lime dressing. It was fantastic, best salmon attempt yet.
20170706_190046.jpg

Basil Black Pesto:

Load the blender with fresh from the garden basil.
2017-07-08 18.45.21.jpg

The black comes from black garlic. If you aren't familiar with black garlic, you are missing out on the greatest thing since roasted garlic. In this age of the internet, you have access to this.
2017-07-08 18.56.30.jpg

Stems removed from the basil, garlic added and chunks of Parmesan added to the blender.
2017-07-08 19.01.09.jpg

Pine nuts almost done...
2017-07-08 19.04.38.jpg

While waiting for the pasta water to heat up and the chicken breast to cook, make a little salad. This one used some crushed pistachios I had left over from a previous dinner, because that's what salads are for - killing time and using up leftovers...
2017-07-08 19.18.57.jpg

Back in the blender, add extra virgin olive oil on top of the cheese. This helps to cool the hot pine nuts so you don't discolor the basil - though you wont notice dark basil in this dish. Salt for flavor and blend until it's thick. If it's not blending, add more olive oil. If it's too thin, add more everything else. Obviously, it helps to use just a little oil to start and just keep adding as needed.

Layer pasta, pesto, grilled chicken, a little more pesto, grated parm, and top it with a little more pesto...
2017-07-08 20.14.16.jpg

Served with a little bread, because you want to sop up any of the black pesto that gets away.

Basil Black Pesto:

View attachment 107759

The black comes from black garlic. If you aren't familiar with black garlic, you are missing out on the greatest thing since roasted garlic. In this age of the internet, you have access to this.
View attachment 107760

Stems removed from the basil, garlic added and chunks of Parmesan added to the blender.
View attachment 107761

Pine nuts almost done...
View attachment 107762

While waiting for the pasta water to heat up and the chicken breast to cook, make a little salad. This one used some crushed pistachios I had left over from a previous dinner, because that's what salads are for - killing time and using up leftovers...
View attachment 107763

Back in the blender, add extra virgin olive oil on top of the cheese. This helps to cool the hot pine nuts so you don't discolor the basil - though you wont notice dark basil in this dish. Salt for flavor and blend until it's thick. If it's not blending, add more olive oil. If it's too thin, add more everything else. Obviously, it helps to use just a little oil to start and just keep adding as needed.

Layer pasta, pesto, grilled chicken, a little more pesto, grated parm, and top it with a little more pesto...
View attachment 107764

Served with a little bread, because you want to sop up any of the black pesto that gets away.

Damn......... looks like it would be worth the trip :)

Basil Black Pesto:

View attachment 107759

View attachment 107760

View attachment 107761

Pine nuts almost done...
View attachment 107762

View attachment 107763

View attachment 107764

Hands down, the best pesto I've had!

Thankfully, PZ rarely makes a meal without leftovers, so I'll get to have it again!

I'm not much of a foodie; in fact, I don't like a lot of food at all. We found a new seafood place not far from home and tried it out. OMFG.. jerk halibut with a lobster tarragon sauce (which I could consume gallons of, and I'm not a fan of lobster), seaweed salad, and redskin mashed potatoes. One of the best meals I've had in a while.

IMG_0238.JPG

I'm not much of a foodie; in fact, I don't like a lot of food at all. We found a new seafood place not far from home and tried it out. OMFG.. jerk halibut with a lobster tarragon sauce (which I could consume gallons of, and I'm not a fan of lobster), seaweed salad, and redskin mashed potatoes. One of the best meals I've had in a while.

View attachment 108313

raw

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom