Dinner Plans? (15 Viewers)

Nice day yesterday. I decided to slow cook some BBQ. It took about two hours over indirect heat. It was damn delicious. Served it with lime/salt wedged sweet potatoes

20170507_172506_zps4r9banms.jpg

Indirect heat - the Master's class of grilling.

Everyone who comes out for dinner when I cook chicken says its some of the best they have ever had. Its so moist and delicious. I sear it over the coals for a few minutes, then move it to the other side of the grill. I have a couple of home made dry rubs that I use and a few different home made BBQ sauces. However, I also keep on stuck "Stubb's" BBQ sauce. Some of the best store bought sauce I've had in a long time.

I smoked 2 chickens yesterday. Brined overnight in 2 gallons of water + 1 cup salt + 1 cup sugar + some fresh herbs. Rubbed with brown sugar, cinnamon, black pepper, ancho chili powder, and a few other things. Apple wood for smoke at 300-325 until just under temp then rested under foil. Turned out perfectly. I'm 2 for 2 on the new smoker.

More ribs on the docket for Mother's Day. My mother-in-law requested them - and a happy mother-in-law is a good thing.

I smoked 2 chickens yesterday. Brined overnight in 2 gallons of water + 1 cup salt + 1 cup sugar + some fresh herbs. Rubbed with brown sugar, cinnamon, black pepper, ancho chili powder, and a few other things. Apple wood for smoke at 300-325 until just under temp then rested under foil. Turned out perfectly. I'm 2 for 2 on the new smoker.

More ribs on the docket for Mother's Day. My mother-in-law requested them - and a happy mother-in-law is a good thing.

sounds awesome. Anything larger than a chicken breast and it goes in the brine!!! I tried adding orange slices to the last brine but I didn't notice anything different with the turkey.

Stubb's is my go-to when cooking at the firehouse. Limited funds and limited supplies (i.e. no bourbon) mean fewer home-made sauces, but I find Stubb's a fine fall-back option.

You have duck fat just "in the fridge"? If you hear something scurrying around your kitchen at night, it's not mice... It'll be me raiding your fridge.
I do, just for nights like that... Another use is in green beans, I just gives the right flavor:D

For something a little different tonight I'm going to attempt a Taco Lasagna :) I will of course post my results.

Chicken stir fry.

Serrano peppers, green beans, green pepper, carrots, zukes, ect...

I also made my own stir fry sauce for the first time.

20170521_181123.jpg
20170521_184838.jpg

I've been considering a Sous Vide immersion circulator for a while. I've been watching the prices drop, but have not pulled the trigger. What are you using, and any complaints?

I am using the Bluetooth and WiFi Avona. The WiFi is rubbish, but it also has a simple manual control which some of the other brands fail miserably on.

Sous vide in general to me takes more time as most things I cook with it require searing for the right outside vs. inside texture and taste.

It takes the guessing out of cooking. Scallops for me require perfect timing to cook through vs. too cooked and tough. The sous vide method in this case gave me perfect scallops to my taste that would require a chef to time perfectly. I have been able to take the worst cuts of meat and slow cook to awesome tendernous.

So overall, it's about weighing the time and some extra effort/cost to take the guess work out of making a meal to your specified taste.

If you are an expert chef then it may not be that beneficial, but I have noticed that it makes prep for a party much easier as you can cook meats to the wellness you want ahead of time, leave it there prior to party, then sear when everyone shows up.

This was a helpful site for me: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty familiar with the practice of sous vide cooking, but I haven't bought my own sous vide circulator. I like it because I spend a lot of time multi-tasking as I cook, and time can get away from me. However, using a giant pot on the smallest burner on low heat is less than optimal.

Early on, the Avona had a lot of issues, but it appears they have remedied a number of them with the newer model. However, a positive comment from a PCF'er means more than a hundred 5-star reviews on Amazon.

Time to take the plunge!

I'm actually pretty familiar with the practice of sous vide cooking, but I haven't bought my own sous vide circulator. I like it because I spend a lot of time multi-tasking as I cook, and time can get away from me. However, using a giant pot on the smallest burner on low heat is less than optimal.

Early on, the Avona had a lot of issues, but it appears they have remedied a number of them with the newer model. However, a positive comment from a PCF'er means more than a hundred 5-star reviews on Amazon.

Time to take the plunge!
With the prices down to what they are, I can't complain. It does what I expect it to. Congrats to you and Mrs. Zombie's tummy.

I know my friends and family are extra happy :).

sweet potato, brussels sprouts, bacon, apple, and onion hash last night with over medium eggs and muenster cheese last night. nomnomnomnomnom

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom