Dinner Plans? (9 Viewers)

I'd be interested to see how the Jersey San Marzano's taste. Different soil and climates, but fresh vs canned. Very interested...

Licking my monitor did not taste very good at all. :sick:

There are a lot of supplemental flavors in this particular sauce so I'll hold off on passing judgement, a standard red pasta sauce would probably be a better comparison. But it was really tasty.

Homemade cheese steaks. Ribeye steaks purchased from Costco and sliced up thin. Peppers, onions, cheese whiz and provolone. Probably the best I have ever had.

CS1.jpg

CS2.jpg

Meat is prepped for the grill tonight steaks for dinner tonight chicken and burgers for the next couple days
20170924_125109.jpg

Our dishwasher gave up the ghost recently. Granted, we hand-wash most items anyway, but a few things always hit the dishwasher for sterilization. Now that everything has to be hand-washed, I want to do all I can to reduce the number of pots and pans to make Mrs Zombies workload less.

This usually means hitting the grill. After a few days, I wanted something other than "grilled".

Last night, I went clinically insane. The goal - no cookware, no grill.

Just fire.

2017-09-27 18.26.03.jpg

Boneless skinless chicken breast, and aluminum foil. A little seasoning. Pure caveman cooking - if cavemen used aluminum foil. No numbers. No temperature settings. No control. Pure guesswork.

OK, I'm a geek, and eventually had to know how hot shit got.
2017-09-27 18.30.39.jpg

That is with the laser on the chicken itself.

After the fire died down some, I added a pack of almonds and toasted them up as well. Added to it fresh basil from the yard and broken up chunks of parm to dress the chicken. Plated it with some leftover pasta salad.
2017-09-27 18.55.34.jpg

Small miracle - chicken was perfect. juicy, and no burned/dry spots. I attribute this to owning firefighting gloves so I could keep reaching into the flame to turn the chicken.

Big miracle - almonds didn't burn. If anyone has ever toasted almonds, you know they go from raw to burnt in under a minute window. Since these were wrapped I had to guess with the timing, and they also came out toasty-tan, and none burned.

Apparently fate does protect children, fools, and ships called Enterprise.

Been out of town for work quite a bit and on top of that the wife let me loose for a 36 hour quick trip to Vegas with some friends so I decided to make her a nice dinner as a thank you for taking care of the little ones while I was away. She'll also get a fun weekend with some girl friends in January. I noticed that some beef roasts were on sale at our grocery store so I picked up a nice piece of top round. Here it is trimmed and tied.

I've made roasts in the oven before and they always came out a bit underwhelming to be honest so I did some youtube research and decided to give the reverse sear method a try. If you haven't heard of it, check out this video which explains it better than I could. Although he's doing it a kettle grill with charcoal, the principal is the same and his results are incredible.

Prime Rib Recipe - How To Cook A Prime Rib Roast Medium Rare - BBQFOOD4U - YouTube

Another help for this come come out better is our oven has a probe that you can put into the meat and the plug into the inside of the oven which is very handy for getting an exact internal temp. I cooked it at 225 for something over 2 hours for a 3.25 lb roast and pulled it at an internal temp of 126. Not much to look at here but snapped a shot...

I let the roast rest for about 20 minutes and then gave it a hard sear in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and butter for about 3 minutes a side although I accidentally left it too long on the first side i believe. After finishing the sear, I made a beef roast drippings brown gravy which came out nice because I was able to make it in the pan that I'd just finished searing the meat.

While all of this was happening I took a crack at making yorkshire puddings for the first time. I'd help make them once or twice before with an ex-girlfriend many years ago but this was a bit of an adventure. I didn't really have the right size muffin tin either but it all worked out ok in the end. Here are the finished shots of the roast and the puddings. Enjoyed these with some garlic lemon broccolini not pictured.

Everything came out pretty amazing. You can see the great puff I got with the yorshires although next time I will use less oil as they were a bit greasy. I can't recommend this method for cooking beef enough. It takes quite a while but the results were nothing short of incredible. It's like doing sous vide but without all the extra equipment and fussing with the water set up and everything. You can see in the last picture the one side that I over cooked in the skillet but otherwise it was nearly end to end perfectly rare/med rare with a beautiful brown crust on the outside. 10/10 will make again soon. I'll probably just do mashed potatoes next time with it. The yorkshire puddings were fun and I'll make them again but they were a bit of extra work so I'll probably just make them for a special occasion or when we have guests over.

I love the reverse sear - it is the only way for dry cooking. Your meal looks so friggin' good!

I will argue the video till the cows come home (and give me their juicy prime rib) that prime rib should be cooked, bone-in, and I personally think that he added a lot of useless seasonings to a fantastic prime rib.

I will not argue his grilling though - that was spot on.

Been out of town for work quite a bit and on top of that the wife let me loose for a 36 hour quick trip to Vegas with some friends so I decided to make her a nice dinner as a thank you for taking care of the little ones while I was away. She'll also get a fun weekend with some girl friends in January. I noticed that some beef roasts were on sale at our grocery store so I picked up a nice piece of top round. Here it is trimmed and tied.

I've made roasts in the oven before and they always came out a bit underwhelming to be honest so I did some youtube research and decided to give the reverse sear method a try. If you haven't heard of it, check out this video which explains it better than I could. Although he's doing it a kettle grill with charcoal, the principal is the same and his results are incredible.

Prime Rib Recipe - How To Cook A Prime Rib Roast Medium Rare - BBQFOOD4U - YouTube

Another help for this come come out better is our oven has a probe that you can put into the meat and the plug into the inside of the oven which is very handy for getting an exact internal temp. I cooked it at 225 for something over 2 hours for a 3.25 lb roast and pulled it at an internal temp of 126. Not much to look at here but snapped a shot...

I let the roast rest for about 20 minutes and then gave it a hard sear in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and butter for about 3 minutes a side although I accidentally left it too long on the first side i believe. After finishing the sear, I made a beef roast drippings brown gravy which came out nice because I was able to make it in the pan that I'd just finished searing the meat.

While all of this was happening I took a crack at making yorkshire puddings for the first time. I'd help make them once or twice before with an ex-girlfriend many years ago but this was a bit of an adventure. I didn't really have the right size muffin tin either but it all worked out ok in the end. Here are the finished shots of the roast and the puddings. Enjoyed these with some garlic lemon broccolini not pictured.

Everything came out pretty amazing. You can see the great puff I got with the yorshires although next time I will use less oil as they were a bit greasy. I can't recommend this method for cooking beef enough. It takes quite a while but the results were nothing short of incredible. It's like doing sous vide but without all the extra equipment and fussing with the water set up and everything. You can see in the last picture the one side that I over cooked in the skillet but otherwise it was nearly end to end perfectly rare/med rare with a beautiful brown crust on the outside. 10/10 will make again soon. I'll probably just do mashed potatoes next time with it. The yorkshire puddings were fun and I'll make them again but they were a bit of extra work so I'll probably just make them for a special occasion or when we have guests over.

That looks fantastic. I bet the leftovers made some great sammies!

Breakfast plans?

Last night we had smoked salmon. It was a bit much for 2 people (I originally intended to feed 4 with the salmon but called an audible when I didn't like how the salmon would pair with the various cheeses on the charcuterie tray that I set out for my guests (who were in town for a Zombie Poker Club Hall of Fame photo shoot). @Mrs Poker Zombie has the pics of our dinner, but the leftovers were perfect for a little bagel and lox tuesday.

2017-10-24 10.22.29.jpg

Smoked salmon, softened cream cheese with capers and dill, on a bagel. Served with real OJ, not that "from concentrate stuff", though not as good as Florida fresh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom