Dealer Misunderstanding (1 Viewer)

No, this is a little extreme. Besides, when I deal, I try to be active to clarify and move the game along, announcing the folds, checks, bets, and raises in turn so everything is clear, making sure everyone knows where the action is, etc. I do this because I don't have a ton of experience playing, and I play in home games where there is usually a range of experience at the table, anything from a brand new person just learning poker to 15 year home game veterans. I also do this at charity poker events where you see the same experience range, but definitely edging toward the newbie and the clueless.
Theres a guy that does this at one of the monthly games I play at, everyone at the table including myself never says anything to him about it but almost all of us look terribly annoyed when it's his deal... I'm not sure if its from him announcing every single detail or if its just him in general we all dont like (I personally haven't decided yet)

No, this is a little extreme. Besides, when I deal, I try to be active to clarify and move the game along, announcing the folds, checks, bets, and raises in turn so everything is clear, making sure everyone knows where the action is, etc. I do this because I don't have a ton of experience playing, and I play in home games where there is usually a range of experience at the table, anything from a brand new person just learning poker to 15 year home game veterans. I also do this at charity poker events where you see the same experience range, but definitely edging toward the newbie and the clueless.
I agree with this. I think that ideally this is how a person should deal, clearly stating every action that occurs for the table to know what action is going on and letting everyone know how many players are in during every street. From the dealers perspective, I’m saying I dont think she would decide to double check what he said if she thinks she heard him clearly.

The dealer is correct. Verbal is binding, it’s not up to the dealers to interpret what you may be thinking when you just say “check” when it’s your action. I believe the player in this scenario was asking as you described but unfortunately the error is on him.

It’s the players responsibility to clearly state their action whether verbally or physically by tapping the felt when it’s on them. A situation like this can unfortunately be abused by less ethical players so IMO it has to be a hard fast rule for all.

I see both sides of the situation. I get that the dealer is correct, but I agree with @allforcharity on his point of the dealers doing better at the tables. I think their jobs are to control the game and make everyone aware of what action is going on by every player. There could be so much avoided if they were to take this route. It seems like this should be some fundamental training that goes on in dealers school.

Dealer was correct in continuing to deal the hand, so long as:
  • player who said 'check?' closed the betting action, and
  • dealer rapped the table prior to dealing the burn card and river card.
If dealer did rap -- and player was paying attention -- then there was plenty of time to blurt out "STOP" before the river card hit the felt. Player possibly made two errors, and dealer possibly made just one.

Theres a guy that does this at one of the monthly games I play at, everyone at the table including myself never says anything to him about it but almost all of us look terribly annoyed when it's his deal... I'm not sure if its from him announcing every single detail or if its just him in general we all dont like (I personally haven't decided yet)

I'm sure he's not doing it to try to be annoying. There's good and bad techniques to do it, too. Sometimes it just needs to be done. Even at some games where everybody is capable of following the action, there's still a lot of social interaction at the table and there's often a reminder needed for people just to put in their blinds. Also, when verbalizing the action, it could also help prevent people from acting out of turn as eye contact and body language between the dealer and the player on point is more obvious.

I'm on the dealer's side. You have to add context (not inflection) to the wording. Something as simple as "Check to me?" or "Did he check"? Maybe even "Checked?" if you enunciate enough to ensure the "ed" is heard ... but a simple "Check" with inflection is not enough.

I've seen similar with "All In". Player with the action says "All in" and next-to-act follows by saying "All In!?" Player with action flips cards thinking it was a call "All in" ... which technically it was. Inflection != intent.

I'm on the dealer's side. You have to add context (not inflection) to the wording. Something as simple as "Check to me?" or "Did he check"? Maybe even "Checked?" if you enunciate enough to ensure the "ed" is heard ... but a simple "Check" with inflection is not enough.

I've seen similar with "All In". Player with the action says "All in" and next-to-act follows by saying "All In!?" Player with action flips cards thinking it was a call "All in" ... which technically it was. Inflection != intent.
Ouch. That hurts

I do this too when I'm dealing. Not every action, but when there are 4 or 5 people in a pot and maybe one person has their cards off the table, one person is on their phone, one person just doesnt understand how to play poker, etc.....I think stating the action as a dealer helps.

That being said, I'm sure its annoying to some.

I do this too when I'm dealing. Not every action, but when there are 4 or 5 people in a pot and maybe one person has their cards off the table, one person is on their phone, one person just doesnt understand how to play poker, etc.....I think stating the action as a dealer helps.

Yeah, stating the action as the dealer is redundant, but it greatly clarifies the situation and offers a moment where a correction can be made.

I do understand and value the positives here I'm not saying the action itself is a bad thing, and unfortunately in my case I'm leaning more towards the person...it comes off pushy or controlling rather than helpful

This happened to me a few months ago when I was dealing. Player A bet 100, a barrel of red, on the river. Player B said "All In" with some inflection that I did not recognize. Player A snap called and tabled their hand. Player B then insisted that they were not all in and merely asking a question. Player B discarded their hand and would not pay off A. Player B had about 150, A had at least 400. The floor ruled that Player B was all in and had to pay Player A.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom