CPC Small Crown Bourbon Theme (1 Viewer)

The single spot isn't my thing. I know a lot of people love that Flamingo $1 - I don't get it; it tilts me out of my chair.
Cool project!
I get it... It tilted me first with the Flamingos too. Then it grew on me and I fell in love... Kinda like what happened with the wife.

Thanks for the feedback!

I believe we've narrowed it down to the final 2 mockups! Official vote thread has been opened, and I'm shocked that the xV-style is leading the pack right now. OP updated with top 2 contenders...

Asking a favor of anyone watching this thread; can you post imagines of any xV style chips that you have? I'd like to see how they come out compared to the rendering...

2V12l/3V12, etc...

@Ben8257 / @Irish - curious if you had any input on breakdown for this set.
  • 25c/50c up to 50c/$1 blinds
  • $20 buy-in, unlimited rebuys
  • 10 players max, normally don't see more than 10 rebuys
  • Want to future-proof to a game where the buy-in is $40 with the same number of rebuys
  • Starting stack for $20 would be 20/10/1 [25c/$1/$5]
  • Deducting 20 for PCF sample sets if anyone wants them (I dunno; I like samples, maybe others do too)
Denomination
Quantity Ordered
Bank
Starting Stack
Starting Value
Chips Leftover
Rebuy Stack
Rebuy Value
Rebuys
Chips Leftover
Sample Sets
Chips Leftover
$0.25​
280​
$70.00​
20​
$5.00​
80​
0​
$0.00​
0​
80​
20​
60​
$1.00​
180​
$180.00​
10​
$10.00​
80​
5​
$5.00​
10​
30​
20​
10​
$5.00​
140​
$700.00​
1​
$5.00​
130​
3​
$15.00​
10​
100​
20​
80​
$20​
60​
$1,200​
0​
$0​
60​
1​
$20​
10​
50​
20​
30​
$100​
40​
$4,000​
0​
$0​
40​
0​
$0​
0​
40​
20​
20​
Total​
700​
$6,150.00​
$20.00​
$40.00​

Last edited:
If you want to future proof the set, you'll need way more $1's and $5's. Even in a short stacked game as you outline, a typical 0.25/0.50 game usually has the $1's as workhorse chips.

Fracs for an entire 10 person table is plenty for a cash set. I'd just make it an even 200 chips for frac, $1, and $5.

For a $20 buy in, run starting stacks of 20 quarters and 15 $1's. For $40 starting stacks, use 20 quarters, 20 dollars, and 3 $5's. Plenty of bank to cover rebuys and to increase stakes if needed.

If you want to future proof the set, you'll need way more $1's and $5's. Even in a short stacked game as you outline, a typical 0.25/0.50 game usually has the $1's as workhorse chips.

Fracs for an entire 10 person table is plenty for a cash set. I'd just make it an even 200 chips for frac, $1, and $5.

For a $20 buy in, run starting stacks of 20 quarters and 15 $1's. For $40 starting stacks, use 20 quarters, 20 dollars, and 3 $5's. Plenty of bank to cover rebuys and to increase stakes if needed.
If I only get 200 quarters, then that means that all 200 go onto the 10-handed table with none to spare. No space for a broken chip, no sample sets for PCF. That's part of the reason I gave the quarters buffer room.

I can increase the $1s and $5s to 200 each, but does that give me enough room if I don't touch the $20s or $100s? I mean, OK, I don't need more $100s, but instead of adding 60 more $5s, couldn't I just do another 10 $20s?

You probably don't need more than 1 rack of fracs for an entire table.

100x 0.25
200x 1
200x 5
80x 20
20x 100
600 chips, Bank 4825

Plus whatever you need for sample sets.
Right now your bank needs are only 800 - even the first 3 denoms of chips give you 1225.

You probably don't need more than 1 rack of fracs for an entire table.

100x 0.25
200x 1
200x 5
80x 20
20x 100
600 chips, Bank 4825

Plus whatever you need for sample sets.
Right now your bank needs are only 800 - even the first 3 denoms of chips give you 1225.
I'm surprised to see you say that I only need one rack of the quarters. That means that everyone would get 8 to start. In a $0.25 / $0.50 game, I would think that people would run out relatively quickly.

First off dibs on a sample please!

In my opinion I don't like 100 quarters in a $.25/$.50... the argument of efficiency always comes up.. also most of the time all 10 players do not start at the same time, some people show up lane inevitably.. so the way we run it is, the first 6 players get a barrel of fracs (120) total, a barrel of $1s and 15 $5s but this is for a normal $.25/$.50 game... which equates to 200 BB.... if you want to play $20 max buyin in you should be playing $.05/$.10 (also 200 BB the general rule of thumb) in which case I would do (200) $.05 (I go heavy here to cover a family friendly game, each person gets $1 in nickles)/(120) $.25 (future proof for when you do step up to a true $.25/$.50)/ (200) $1s/ (200) $5s/ (80) $20s/ (20) $100s yes I realize this is 820 chips... but that will cover everything forever! Lol

So let's cut that back to (100) nickles tight but $.50 each is doable and cut our $20s back to (60) as you don't need them now and you still have a ton of top end coverage.. and we are back to 700 chips.

You seem set on $.25/$.50... at minimumI would want to see $40 buy ins but hey... your game!

The way you describe the game is mostly social and a ton of limping... I don't like (100) quarters here.. I don't think it is enough! 120 again is ideal, I would give out the 120 ... at $20 buy in let's say everyone is there (12) $.25 (12) $1 (1) $5 x 10 Is 120/120/10...

rebuys let's say (5) $1 / (3) $5 x 10 = 0/(50)/(30)

Next (20) rebuts are all $5s x 4 = $20 x 20 is (80) more chips...

The rest are your $20s

The set would be 120 $.25/180 $1/120 $5/(60) $20/ (20) $100 for a 500 chip set and cover anything ever at these stakes

You don't need more fracs othe table than you started with so none for rebuys at this point the game should be progressing to where you don't need as many fracs anyways.. also huge stacks of frac promotes limping behavior, keep them limited but not to where you are making constant change either...120 quarters works well!!

If you want to go bigger on the set... do it at the top end! Ben

Of course you'd be on deck for a sample set!

There's lots to digest here Ben. Let me start off by saying thank you for the very detailed write-up. We've been playing a 25c/50c game for many years and the $20 buy-in does seem to work pretty well. Yes we get a lot of limpers but it's always 100% social and I think that's what a lot of people like. We also typically don't start until the vast majority of players have arrived. Since they're all basically coming from my street they all get here on time.

I hear what you're saying about only giving out the quarters to the first six people that show up. But part of this problem is my madness with chips which I'm sure that you can understand. I love seeing lots and lots and lots and lots of chips on the table. That's why I was trying to get 20 quarters in every player's hand. If I did that I'm already at 200 and then if you add in a little bit of buffer and a few sample sets that pushes me up near 260. Maybe 280 was going too much on this sure but I don't know if I can scale it back as far as you're saying.

I completely agree with you that quarters have no place in a rebuy. In my table above, I definitely was using 4 $5 chips as the rebuy (or 5 $1s and 3 $5s).

But I definitely don't think I'm going to need 200 $5s. I just got nervous that I was not going to be future proofing good enough.

So let's forget the sample sets for the moment since I can always add those chips in once I actually have my playable amounts figured out. I think that leaves me with:

240/180/120/60/20 [25c/1/5/20/100]

That puts me at 620. Now, you said to expand on the high end if I was going to expand anywhere. Did you mean on the $5s? Or the $20s?

Last edited:
I am all about the fracs, and giving each player a full barrel of them. I am with you!!

That said...why do you need *40* extra (not including sample sets? Isnt 10 extra (20 TOPS), more than plenty?

I am all about the fracs, and giving each player a full barrel of them. I am with you!!

That said...why do you need *40* extra (not including sample sets? Isnt 10 extra (20 TOPS), more than plenty?
You're right; 240 fracs gives me 40 extra. I probably only need 20 at most.

220/180/120/60/20 [25c/1/5/20/100]

That leaves me with 20 extra fracs, 30 extra $1s, 60 extra $5s, and the remaining 60 $20s and 20 $100s. Makes the set an even 600.

If I move to a $40 buy in and use extra $5s initially, I think that leaves me with 20 extra fracs, 30 extra $1s, 20 extra $5s, 40 $20s and 20 $100s.

Am I too close on the $5s?

I'm surprised to see you say that I only need one rack of the quarters. That means that everyone would get 8 to start. In a $0.25 / $0.50 game, I would think that people would run out relatively quickly.

Of course, you can get as many chips as you want. If it's always a limpfest, then you may well want more quarters.

In the 0.25/0.50 game my friend hosts, we have typically been 6-8 handed, $60-100 buy-in, unlimited rebuys but usually don't see that many, maybe 4-5. 100 quarters generally does us fine. You don't have to have even stacks for everybody, just get them all in play. We make change for each other when needed, doesn't slow down play as far as I can tell. Overall bank doesn't need to exceed $1000 in general. 600 chips available for play is more than enough, even with full table of 10.

Of course, you can get as many chips as you want. If it's always a limpfest, then you may well want more quarters.

In the 0.25/0.50 game my friend hosts, we have typically been 6-8 handed, $60-100 buy-in, unlimited rebuys but usually don't see that many, maybe 4-5. 100 quarters generally does us fine. You don't have to have even stacks for everybody, just get them all in play. We make change for each other when needed, doesn't slow down play as far as I can tell. Overall bank doesn't need to exceed $1000 in general. 600 chips available for play is more than enough, even with full table of 10.
Yup, based on my current sets, I feel that 600 chips does cover us pretty well. We make change for each other all the time especially when the rebuys happen and someone gets 4 $5 chips. Doesn't slow down the game at all.

We usually are 8 to 10 handed with a lot of limpers. I think the biggest bank night we've ever had was around $800. But the one thing I want to make sure is that when inflation eventually hits us and $20 no longer cuts it, the move to $40 is not impeded by my choices in chip count.

Yup, based on my current sets, I feel that 600 chips does cover us pretty well. We make change for each other all the time especially when the rebuys happen and someone gets 4 $5 chips. Doesn't slow down the game at all.

We usually are 8 to 10 handed with a lot of limpers. I think the biggest bank night we've ever had was around $800. But the one thing I want to make sure is that when inflation eventually hits us and $20 no longer cuts it, the move to $40 is not impeded by my choices in chip count.

Well, like I said, you're not running into trouble with a 600 chip set until you've got over $4000 on the table. 100 buy-ins a safe enough cushion? ;)

Consider 200/200/200/80/20
Plus a few spares as you see necessary. I never count spares when deciding breakdown.

Just 100 more chips and much more flexibility. Dont be surprised if one day you find your game with a $100 buy in. With the 700 chip breakdown, you could easily do that. And full racks :)

Of course, you could always add on later too, instead of now.

Plus a few spares as you see necessary. I never count spares when deciding breakdown.

Just 100 more chips and much more flexibility. Dont be surprised if one day you find your game with a $100 buy in. With the 700 chip breakdown, you could easily do that. And full racks :)
Is it crazy that I was waiting for sometime to mention full racks? In my mind, putting half barrels in the same rack was nauseating.

In all seriousness, I think that's why I reached out here. If we do go to $100 someday this forever set will still be useful.

^^This^^

You will get a lot of folks on PCF who say you only need a rack of quarters, and for a typical 25¢/50¢ game that's usually the case. But your game sounds a lot like my Thursday crew game - it's more about beer and banter than crazy serious card play. The 20/10/1 breakdown is exactly what I use for that game (we play 25¢/25¢ NHLE). I built that skittles set just for this crew, it's essentially all quarters and dollars, with plaques for fivers as those are reserved for the "serious" bets. Having that many quarter would tweak the ever-loving shit out of some players in my other game, but it works perfectly for the other game. If you're building the set for your crew and that's the type of game your crew plays, stick with at least 200 quarters.

That being said, I'd definitely recommend upping the rack of $1s & $5s to two full racks each, as @liftapint noted. Not only does it future proof your current game, but it gives you the flexibility of bringing your coveted customs to a different game that may play a little differently - say.... a PCF meetup ;). And.... if you want to really future proof the set both for your current style game as well as deeper games, I would actually tweak the above just a bit to 200/200/200/60/40 to give you even more wiggle room up top. With that breakdown, you could spread:
  • 25¢/25¢ for 10 players with 20/10/1 $20 starting stacks with 312 rebuys (current setup)
  • 25¢/50¢ for 10 players with 20/20/3 $40 starting stacks with 151 rebuys (future proof current setup)
  • 25¢/50¢ for 10 players with 12/17/16 $100 starting stacks with 54 rebuys (flexibility for games that play larger)
  • 50¢/$1 for 10 players with 8/18/20/4 $200 starting stacks with 22 rebuys (future proof flexibility for games that play larger)
Unless you're ordering a completely new denomination in the future (ie a rack of $100s), IMHO you want to get all your chips NOW. Clay color formulas can change a bit over the years as material supplies change, there's no guarantee the chips you order in 5 years will exactly match those you're getting now.

When I ordered my customs, I ordered 10 extra of each denomination for those "just in case" scenarios. Maybe I'm a little OCD about my chips or just lucky, but in 12+ years of playing monthly+, I've never lost nor had a chip broken. And that includes those beer and peanuts type of games that can get pretty rowdy. It obviously never hurts to have a few extra, but IMHO 10 extras should more than cover you (vs a full barrel). You'd be better spending your cash on more $1s & $5s. Then, add extras for samples, as you see fit.

^^This^^

You will get a lot of folks on PCF who say you only need a rack of quarters, and for a typical 25¢/50¢ game that's usually the case. But your game sounds a lot like my Thursday crew game - it's more about beer and banter than crazy serious card play. The 20/10/1 breakdown is exactly what I use for that game (we play 25¢/25¢ NHLE). I built that skittles set just for this crew, it's essentially all quarters and dollars, with plaques for fivers as those are reserved for the "serious" bets. Having that many quarter would tweak the ever-loving shit out of some players in my other game, but it works perfectly for the other game. If you're building the set for your crew and that's the type of game your crew plays, stick with at least 200 quarters.

That being said, I'd definitely recommend upping the rack of $1s & $5s to two full racks each, as @liftapint noted. Not only does it future proof your current game, but it gives you the flexibility of bringing your coveted customs to a different game that may play a little differently - say.... a PCF meetup ;). And.... if you want to really future proof the set both for your current style game as well as deeper games, I would actually tweak the above just a bit to 200/200/200/60/40 to give you even more wiggle room up top. With that breakdown, you could spread:
  • 25¢/25¢ for 10 players with 20/10/1 $20 starting stacks with 312 rebuys (current setup)
  • 25¢/50¢ for 10 players with 20/20/3 $40 starting stacks with 151 rebuys (future proof current setup)
  • 25¢/50¢ for 10 players with 12/17/16 $100 starting stacks with 54 rebuys (flexibility for games that play larger)
  • 50¢/$1 for 10 players with 8/18/20/4 $200 starting stacks with 22 rebuys (future proof flexibility for games that play larger)
Unless you're ordering a completely new denomination in the future (ie a rack of $100s), IMHO you want to get all your chips NOW. Clay color formulas can change a bit over the years as material supplies change, there's no guarantee the chips you order in 5 years will exactly match those you're getting now.

When I ordered my customs, I ordered 10 extra of each denomination for those "just in case" scenarios. Maybe I'm a little OCD about my chips or just lucky, but in 12+ years of playing monthly+, I've never lost nor had a chip broken. And that includes those beer and peanuts type of games that can get pretty rowdy. It obviously never hurts to have a few extra, but IMHO 10 extras should more than cover you (vs a full barrel). You'd be better spending your cash on more $1s & $5s. Then, add extras for samples, as you see fit.
No love for the guy that suggested a full two racks of each workhorse denom, eh? :p

FWIW, I agree with you all. 200/200/200/80/20 keeps the set reasonably sized and future proofs in the event the game becomes a 0.50/1 or a small 1/2 game.

No love for the guy that suggested a full two racks of each workhorse denom, eh? :p

FWIW, I agree with you all. 200/200/200/80/20 keeps the set reasonably sized and future proofs in the event the game becomes a 0.50/1 or a small 1/2 game.
I'm an engineer and a chip freak, all I see is numbers and pics. Everything else looks just like wordswordswordswordswordswordswordswords....
;)

If you're building the set for your crew and that's the type of game your crew plays, stick with at least 200 quarters.
Exactly this. It's a set for drinkers and social morons who come here to fund my poker chip addiction.
I would actually tweak the above just a bit to 200/200/200/60/40
Yup! Ordered more, but after sample sets, basically these numbers.
Unless you're ordering a completely new denomination in the future (ie a rack of $100s), IMHO you want to get all your chips NOW.
This was my fear. I can't count on adding onto existing denominations. Hell, I can't count on CPC even being around (I know, I know, bite my tongue). But yes, if I ever add on, it will need to be a brand new chip.
When I ordered my customs, I ordered 10 extra of each denomination for those "just in case" scenarios.
@liftapint talked me out of 20 extras. So I scaled it back a little for each denom. I've never broken a chip either, but boy would I be pissed if I ended up with 99 chips in a rack somehow.

Hows the artwork coming along @BearMetal? I can't wait to see what you went with!
It's coming along very nicely; should be quite soon...
  • I settled on the name; Bottled in Bond. Although I liked my original idea of Cask Strength / Barrel Proof, the Bottled In Bond act of 1897 was more relevant to and historically accurate for bourbon.
  • My artwork is done in the "Tax Stamp" design which gives itself to the history of whiskey in the US as well as the original BiB seals
  • The barrel on the opposite side wasn't working the way we wanted, so we switched it up a little and are doing a pot still + barrel with a rosette background similar to the tax stamp.
Here's a sneak peak of some early drafts ...

1610577601643.png

1610577537551.png

WOW! I love what you are doing so far!

The tax stamp idea is GENIUS! I LOVE IT!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

WOW! I love what you are doing so far!

The tax stamp idea is GENIUS! I LOVE IT!

Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks! The art has been refined quite a lot from those images. They're just all on my brother's computer.

Each chip is going to have it's own unique tax stamp rosette shape as well. The problem were deciding on right now is whether to include our favorite/most complex rosette on the frac so we see it more. It would be such a waste to put it on the hundred and never see it.

So, our current idea is to do reverse complexity of the tax stamp rosette going up in chip value.

Just wanted to thank everyone here for their input/ideas/suggestions! The artwork is done and has been shipped off to CPC. Now, I wait...
Sweet!

I can't wait to see the final product! Congrats! I am waiting on my chips as well. I think my 44MM chips should ship in the next two weeks, so that is exciting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom