CPC Rounders on Small Crown Group Buy Interest (2 Viewers)

If we were to do a CPC Rounders Group Buy on small crown, should we:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughable? I think its a reasonable concern
For starters, I said 'almost laughable'. If you're going to attempt to put words in my mouth, at least try to be accurate. Also, you make an assumption that is simply not true. The fact that I do not agree with your position does not mean I haven't considered your viewpoints. I most certainly have, and find them lacking any evidence to back them up.

I stated the logical reasons that support my position. Feel free to cite yours, including any examples in the past where producing similar type tribute chips devalued the originals.

I have nothing against tributes. The Mike's (tribute of Mapes) is fantastic, and I don't think it devalues the Mapes at all (nor would I if they were re-done on the S-Crown mold). If someone would use the same exact Mapes inlay on the S-Crown, as a Mapes owner I would indeed have a problem with it. While there are plenty of people who know and could tell the difference, there are also certainly many who couldn't, and this could potentially lead to less experienced chippers getting ripped off by counterfeits.

And I really don't know for sure if reproducing a new S-Crown Rounders set will devalue the current one. I never said it definitively would, I said I think it's a valid concern, which is my opinion (not a fact like you're stating in your dismissive post). Ask @Seeking Alpha Social Club how he feels about it since he's the one who will most likely be affected.

Best example I can give you is the Kings Crown chips made by TRK. Many permutations of those chips were made (by TRK), and the originals are somewhat difficult to tell from the later copies. The originals still command a significantly higher price, and I don't think anyone would attempt to argue that reproducing more on the CPC scrown mold will devalue either the originals ~or~ the TRK copies. Maybe you disagree, but the market generally just doesn't work like that unless the copies are extremely close to the originals -- and in this case, that's simply not possible.

It's sorta like saying the value of a real Ferrari would diminish and Ferrari sales were going to decrease because Volkswagen kit cars were introduced that sorta looked like real Ferrari's. Everybody knows that didn't happen, either, no matter how good the copies were. They still aren't Ferrari's.

I suspect that @Seeking Alpha Social Club will gladly welcome new CPC scrowns into the chipping community, as it will make it incrementally easier for him to acquire more originals (Deadwoods, Rounders, Mapes, whatever) -- it will certainly lower the volume of emails begging for him to sell his sets. :) And he'll always be able to find a buyer, because the CPC chips in no way diminish the value of the unique set of originals that he has. Just like the Ferrari's.

I don't know why anyone is talking about what the value of the TRK rounders will be. The only value CPC cares about is - if we produce new chips will people buy them.

The discussion about value to the originals belongs in another thread.

Best example I can give you is the Kings Crown chips made by TRK. Many permutations of those chips were made (by TRK), and the originals are somewhat difficult to tell from the later copies. The originals still command a significantly higher price, and I don't think anyone would attempt to argue that reproducing more on the CPC scrown mold will devalue either the originals ~or~ the TRK copies. Maybe you disagree, but the market generally just doesn't work like that unless the copies are extremely close to the originals -- and in this case, that's simply not possible.

It's sorta like saying the value of a real Ferrari would diminish and Ferrari sales were going to decrease because Volkswagen kit cars were introduced that sorta looked like real Ferrari's. Everybody knows that didn't happen, either, no matter how good the copies were. They still aren't Ferrari's.

I suspect that @Seeking Alpha Social Club will gladly welcome new CPC scrowns into the chipping community, as it will make it incrementally easier for him to acquire more originals (Deadwoods, Rounders, Mapes, whatever) -- it will certainly lower the volume of emails begging for him to sell his sets. :) And he'll always be able to find a buyer, because the CPC chips in no way diminish the value of the unique set of originals that he has. Just like the Ferrari's.
+1 this ^^^^^

I already have an epic thought in mind. Now I just need the funds...LOL.

AND...If anybody is stressed or worried about the potential decline in value of their TRK Rounders or Deadwoods....please feel free to hit me up and I will be HAPPY to alleviate your worries :)

... Ask @Seeking Alpha Social Club how he feels about it since he's the one who will most likely be affected.

Honestly not worried. Nothing against CPCs, but leaded TRKs rock. I will also venture to bet that my all in average cost per chip is close to what CPCs will cost. But even if it weren't....did I mention that leaded TRKs rock!! :)

PLUS...the thought of "maybe" someday adding 44mm oversized Rounders is AWESOME!! Just a thought!! :) :)

Which level spots in the chip tool would get close to the $20 Nevada Club chip?

AFE22689-95D1-4BFD-A1A1-2ADDFA854E1A.jpeg

Wow, those large crowns look very classy with the CPC colors. Might have to do a matching Chesterfield Club set on the large crown mold.

godzillas-1001002.png

Here's an idea for the tournament set. Just need to add a T25k.

And this is a thread for interest in Rounders on small crown mold. There are plenty of other threads discussing different ideas on small crown mold and conjecture on what it will do to existing TRK pricing. For the record, I have a shite tonnage of TR Kings that I've paid a mint so it would be a disservice to my 401k to have OG TRKs drop in value. Even Kevin @Seeking Alpha Social Club is looking to add to his set in the future. And that's the beauty of this hobby...who doesnt want MOAR Chips!! :wow:

Nice. How would you feel about a different base color on the $1k?

How about the Dayglo Arc Yellow as the base? That might be brighter.

And what do you guys think of the spots...higher dollar spot patterns or keep it simple?

Curiosity question, and I'm sorry if I missed it. Has anybody checked with David to be sure we can use the Rounders label on a GB chip design? OR, is he planning on putting out his own Rounders chips for sale on the scrown mold (similar to what he did with the other molds he put Rounders on)?

Curiosity question, and I'm sorry if I missed it. Has anybody checked with David to be sure we can use the Rounders label on a GB chip design? OR, is he planning on putting out his own Rounders chips for sale on the scrown mold (similar to what he did with the other molds he put Rounders on)?

People could/can order Rounders chips with custom colors/spots. @RainmanTrail did not too long ago. I don’t see why there would be an issue. CPC starting stocking chips for people that don’t want to wait for customs.

But it doesn’t hurt to ask to make sure.

How about the Dayglo Arc Yellow as the base? That might be brighter.

And what do you guys think of the spots...higher dollar spot patterns or keep it simple?
I think that might help with the yellow. However I don't have a chip in my singles collection with that color so I might be wrong. I think it is probably better to keep the spot pattern simple. More in the flavor of the originals but still different form the TRK Rounders.

I agree 100%.

The roman mold is the best looking mold out there, for me. Sadly, the chips sound very plastic or lite to me - they just don't seem substantial - which is what ruined it for me. Oh, and it isn't available anymore. Anyway...

What if the kit car had 90-95% of the performance of the Ferrari for 50%-75% of the cost of a Ferrari? There will always be a demand for the real thing (Ferrari, Rolex, etc.), but companies and products thrive on finding that spot where they are providing near-peer level products at substantial savings. Yes, it's not a Ferrari or Rolex, but it looks slick, functions as well, and costs less. Seems like that could be applied here to affect demand, which can affect price. I also know a lot of people who buy well-produced knock-off Rolex's at 1/5 the cost of a real one because most people can't tell the difference. Doesn't seem to be an issue here, but just another anecdote that if the cost difference is significant a lot of people will go elsewhere.

Overall, the values of sets change, and are significantly affected by availability of other sets, it seems. When the chip room, or others, dump tens of thousands of Paulsons on the market, it appears that has an effect on overall pricing, at least initially, and then for the mid-range/regular chips for an extended period, whereas "grail" sets seems to hold their value better. If (its the middle word in life) Paulson somehow came back into the home market (extremely unlikely, yes...) that would also, presumably, affect the value of existing Paulson sets pretty significantly.

Doesn't seem out of the realm for the prices of existing scrown chips to flat line, or even decline slightly, with CPC getting into the action, but I guess we'll see. The addicts on here will always be addicts and will pay up for the TRK stuff, if available. The rest of the folks may now be tempted by the high quality option that CPC is offering.

The more fundamental element of the question/concern raised really seems to be about the value of an investment in poker chips and if there is a reasonable expectation that limited edition chips will hold/increase value. Based on my limited time/presence here (just moved up from 3 of a kind to a straight!), while there has been a general trend upwards in pricing, this seems like an unsure premise. But, if you're using poker chips as an investment, I presume folks have done their research and accept those risks and understand that the market has and can/will change unexpectedly, just like any other investment sector.

Also, just for the record, I'm not referring to anyone specifically or calling anyone out, just commenting generally on the possibilities previously presented.

Exciting times in pokerchipland!

I will be doing a set mainly tournament for myself but here are some benefits of doing a group buy that were mentioned:

1) Possible split cost for inlay artwork or new design.
2) Future market to sell and add on to sets as needed.
3) As a community to be able to design, build and own something together.

I wouldn't add investment as a reason since chips and collectibles in general should not be a large portion of your nest egg. But if there is a secondary market for GB chips, there's a possibility they could increase in value. Just look at the prices of TRK Rounders the last few years. Im sure Darson's Flounders would be very sought after but they probably won't reach the price of generic Rounders chips. Just sayin...and keep on chippin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom