CPC General discussion thread (29 Viewers)

I think Spragg mentioned somewhere that he can't do a 4-punch pattern with 3D printed parts because one of the 4 legs always warps, whereas with 3, they are all stable, which makes sense. Tables with 4 legs can wobble, but tables with 3 legs can't.
Can perhaps fix this by using a different 3D printer, different material, or different print bed surface and/or prep (the latter two can make a huge difference in how well objects stick to it). Printing with a brim or raft also sometimes helps with bed adhesion issues.
Some part warping actually is due to the geometry of the model, but in some cases it's avoidable.

Alternatively, perhaps a 2-punch pattern would print fine and you use that twice. At least the 814/8D18 patterns definitely are punched using a 414 two times. I have a good bunch of such chips where one 4-set of spots is slightly misaligned/rotated so it's obvious it wasn't punched in one go with an 814.

Can perhaps fix this by using a different 3D printer, different material, or different print bed surface and/or prep (the latter two can make a huge difference in how well objects stick to it). Printing with a brim or raft also sometimes helps with bed adhesion issues.
Some part warping actually is due to the geometry of the model, but in some cases it's avoidable.
The reason no punch exists on the 1/8 varieties with more than 3 prongs is that even with hardened steel the pins are just not strong enough to take the enormous pressure required without bending.
There used to be a 418 punch, it broke every time. All prongs have to make contact with the chip surface at precisely the same time to avoid damage. Obviously it is the chip itself which stresses to allow that to happen, but consider this simple analogy - a chair with 4 or more legs will wobble if any legs are longer or shorter than the rest - a chair with 3 legs can't wobble.

I was writing about 1/4" and larger punches.

I think it's a different issue what you will use to fill these punched holes with (hello OOC thread!), be it 1/4" spots, or two 1/8" spots stuck together. But we know it's possible for them to make 3/16" spots and to punch 9/16" holes already, else there would not be a 1TA316/3TA316. I think for the 1/4" and larger this problem doesn't exist. I have never seen a 414 or even 614 chip from them where the spots were not perfectly spaced apart so I'm pretty sure they actually have 4-prong and 6-prong punches for those.

The bigger the spots you want to punch, I guess the more rigid you can make the punch by thickening the walls. Perhaps that's already enough. Using a material that can slightly flex without immediately breaking (like PET) might also solve the issue. And then there's the alternate way of punching twice with a 2-prong punch instead of trying to make a 4-prong one.

I wonder how they do the 4DS316...

field-of-dreams-costner-build-it-bro.gif

Hey all - can anyone provide a pic of the barrel height difference between 44mm scroll mold and 39mm scroll as well as the 44mm a mold vs the 39 mm a mold?

I’ve seen some set pics where it looks like there’s a pretty significant difference and not sure if it’s too much to mix sizes or if it’s the angle of the shot.

IMO, there's too much of a difference but it's been a long time since I had my 44mm a molds. I looked through some old pics and couldn't find anything that showed what you are looking for.

There are sometimes height stack differences even within the same mold... some molds are more affected than others.
My last shipment of HCEs (add-on to existing set) is slightly but noticeably thicker than the older ones I have. So much thicker that they barely fit into the chinese firecracker acrylic racks I use (in which the older chips always had a little wiggle room).

On the other hand, I have also had multiple add-ons on FDL, and those were all consistent (or at least consistent enough that I didn't notice).

Don't think this has anything to do with particular molds. More like something about press operation I guess.

Hey all - can anyone provide a pic of the barrel height difference between 44mm scroll mold and 39mm scroll as well as the 44mm a mold vs the 39 mm a mold?

I’ve seen some set pics where it looks like there’s a pretty significant difference and not sure if it’s too much to mix sizes or if it’s the angle of the shot.

Here are some scrolls, it's about half to 2/3 of a chip for a barrel of 20. The 44mms I have are thicker, they will not fit 20 to a barrel in the racks from Dennis at Key West, which usually fit most cpc chips perfectly. Otherwise most of my scrolls are very close to each other in stack height, less than say an 1/8 chip difference in couple of barrels.

20220116_161527.jpg

20220116_161603.jpg

Here are some scrolls, it's about half to 2/3 of a chip for a barrel of 20. The 44mms I have are thicker, they will not fit 20 to a barrel in the racks from Dennis at Key West, which usually fit most cpc chips perfectly. Otherwise most of my scrolls are very close to each other in stack height, less than say an 1/8 chip difference in couple of barrels.

View attachment 847445

View attachment 847446
See, these really don't seem as bad as I remembered so I'd toss my opinion above out.

I believe chip thickness variance has more to do with the color, as that affects the density of the clay. On my FDL's chip thickness is pretty solid, but the unweighted (no brass) have more variation, sometimes not fitting 20 to a barrel. YMMV

Thanks everyone! This really helps. I have a rack of semi custom 5k rounders 44mm chips that I’m trying to figure out what do with. This helps.

I believe chip thickness variance has more to do with the color, as that affects the density of the clay. On my FDL's chip thickness is pretty solid, but the unweighted (no brass) have more variation, sometimes not fitting 20 to a barrel. YMMV
Maybe, but I have barrels of chips of same color and batch, and different heights. (DSQ)

Maybe, but I have barrels of chips of same color and batch, and different heights. (DSQ)
I have the same, but the variance is greater in the unweighted chips.

Are all the chips of the same denom off, or is is a particular color (or colors)?

Interesting that dayglo peacock came in very light at 7.88 but dayglo pink came in at 8.52 which is the same as the weighted colors.

Anyone else having issues loading images on the design tool?
Yes. I'm using Chrome on my mobile and after I load it from Google photos the progress bar (under "Add images..." In the screen below) never stops moving and no image is loaded.

Screenshot_20220324-083112.png

I’ve had this issue before from dragging downloaded images into the image box or when adding a previously saved image.

I found that uploading the image into Imgur and then downloading the Imgur file fixed the issue. Very odd and probably an easier fix but that’s how I did it!

Been a long time, jumped on to the design tool to see all my inlays are now question marks. I jumped back on here cause after a bunch of things happening im getting ready to see what has changed and to see if AK has gotten really good at the hot stamping. Will be preparing for a run who knows how long this will take at this point but its nice to see people are still at it.

I'm pretty sure that if you go so long without making a change and/or accessing your designs, your inlays are removed. Thought I read that here somewhere.

Just a FYI, watch the file name for your inlays - mine had an apostrophe ‘ in the name and when I tried to save the set it gave an error. Removing the apostrophe allowed the set to save as normal. Note that the error only happens when saving the set, it will let you save the chip but that doesn’t update the set until the whole thing is saved.

I'm sure it's from the length of time. No biggie, redid it last night and have the work backed up so if it happens again its just a matter of uploading.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom