CPC General discussion thread (8 Viewers)

I 'll write up again for the sake of @Eloe2000 'cause he is a fine guy.

CPCs out of the factory are an unfinished product.

First, we shower them clean in lukewarm water, in a salad spinner.
Next day, after they 've been left to dry on a towel, on a huge table, we start the oiling.

We apply NO MORE THAN half a teaspoon of "mineral oil" (in US terms) on a clean shoe-shine sponge.
With that quantity, we oil the rolling edges of 5 barrels (100 chips).

After having done that, we wipe all excess oil from the edges with a soft micro-fiber cloth.

With the now slightly oiled cloth, we oil the perimeter of the faces, around the inlays, one by one, trying to somewhat avoid the inlays, but not hysterically.

Apparently, if you have to deal with 1,000 chips or more, the wiping soft clothes and the people handling them should be at least two.

No issues with the inlays if you don't soak the chips in oil.

I 'll write up again for the sake of @Eloe2000 'cause he is a fine guy.

CPCs out of the factory are an unfinished product.

First, we shower them clean in lukewarm water, in a salad spinner.
Next day, after they 've been left to dry on a towel, on a huge table, we start the oiling.

We apply NO MORE THAN half a teaspoon of "mineral oil" (in US terms) on a clean shoe-shine sponge.
With that quantity, we oil the rolling edges of 5 barrels (100 chips).

After having done that, we wipe all excess oil from the edges with a soft micro-fiber cloth.

With the now slightly oiled cloth, we oil the perimeter of the faces, around the inlays, one by one, trying to somewhat avoid the inlays, but not hysterically.

Apparently, if you have to deal with 1,000 chips or more, the wiping soft clothes and the people handling them should be at least two.

No issues with the inlays if you don't soak the chips in oil.

Thank you kind sir. You are a gentleman ;)

Honestly I don’t know if I will have the patience and discipline to just oil the rim of the face. And as someone else had mentioned, both of my sets are CSQ which have faces that don’t seem to get as thirsty as other molds. I will probably just stick to the edges.

If you live in a climate that tends to get cold and dry, oil them when your hands get dry and chapped.

Moisten your hands & chips for a win-win.

...of course, the hard part is waiting for the temperature to fall.

I've found that compression oiling is a terrible idea with bare hands when the target is CPCs. The edges are so sharp and hard you get blisters in no time. But well... some oil might even get through the layers of band-aids you preemptively put on your fingers.

I've found that compression oiling is a terrible idea with bare hands when the target is CPCs. The edges are so sharp and hard you get blisters in no time. But well... some oil might even get through the layers of band-aids you preemptively put on your fingers.
Small price to pay for a coat of oil that will last and be blotch free :tup:

This is why I can only do a couple hundred chips in a session. The blisters definitely happen.

Well I did do it in multiple sessions too, but it still became unbearable fairly quickly. With my next set I preemptively covered the most stressed areas of my fingers with 1-2 band-aids each and then put on a thin cotton glove. Still not enjoyable, but I could last for many more chips in a session with that, and last time around I think I only had one semi-developed blister instead of multiple fully-developed ones.

Compression oiling is definitely worth it with CPCs, they look so much better afterwards. But it is quite a feat.

I will only say for the 1 millionth time, compression oiling is ALWAYS WRONG.

A little oil lightly rubbed does everything you need to do, without finger cramps, blisters, or the feeling of work.

I compression oiled my first CPC set and noticed some of them with oil seeping under the inlays. I observed them over several days and there appeared to be no ill effects. Over the years, the oil absorbed evenly and I no longer see any disparity under or around the inlay.

For my second CPC set, I cleaned and oiled just the rolling edge. The faces don't have the production dust like the edges do. IMHO compression oiling is overkill.

Yes, if you overdo it, you can get a similar effect. The edges may turn yellow. it should be noted that I have washed these chips many times. Perhaps the damage was from water. But, this is probably a very extreme level. And the chips are very worn out.

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_192628.jpg
    IMG_20211019_192628.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20211019_192611.jpg
    IMG_20211019_192611.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 128
Yeah, this all concerns me a bit especially with the shaped inlays which have always seemed to carry a bit more risk of getting water/oil under the inlay. Plus I have a tendency to overdo things, so I don't want to get near dangerous territory. I think I am just going to be oiling the edges a bit a barrel at a time.

Does anyone else notice that their cpcs dry out over time and need re-oiling? Or is that just me lol

Does anyone else notice that their cpcs dry out over time and need re-oiling? Or is that just me lol
Haven't had this problem with compression oiling yet, but have read in the past that it's a good idea to give another coat every two or so years if not in play. If used and in play, naturally the chips will stay looking nice because of the natural oils and cheeseburger and hot dog oils on players' hands lol

Only thing is that I have a feeling I didn't oil all of them. But I definitely think that some of these have lost their shine. Admittedly they've only been used 3 times in 13 months. View attachment 797770

How are you storing them? Read somewhere on here recently that some options will absorb some of the oil.

Only thing is that I have a feeling I didn't oil all of them. But I definitely think that some of these have lost their shine. Admittedly they've only been used 3 times in 13 months. View attachment 797770
It looks like you missed oiling some as you mentioned. If all chips are seeing equal use, no reason there should be this large of a color disparity otherwise.

Yeah, that's happened with mine as well. I'll put a very light application of oil on a handrag and then wipe each barrel on the rolling edge and they're all fine again for months (if not years).

Has it ever been discussed why there isn’t a 4TA316 spot available? Seems like it shouldn’t be that hard to produce?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom