Couple hands (1 Viewer)

Dugthefish

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Opinions wanted on a couple hands from this weekend's home game. $.25/.50 deepstacked, all players regulars who know each other well.

V1 - young, solid player. Super LAGgy, regularly plays 2-5 and $1k tournaments. Very high 3bet, probably 30%+ from button/blinds. Will contest any pot he has a piece of, and quite a few he doesn't.

V2 - Loose passive fish, regular donator. On her last buy in of the night.

V3 - Loose bad reg, regular donator. Has been running white hot, stacked Hero 2x tonight hitting low percentage on river.

Hero - Host, table image is nitty/OMC, has been opening up tonight and playing fairly TAG.

Hand 1

H ($140) UTG opens AQo $3, UTG+1 calls. V2 ($13) jams, V3 ($500) calls, V1 ($120) 3bets to $40 from BTN. Hero?

Hand 2

$1 UTG straddle, 3 limps to H ($200) who raises QdQc to $12 from CO. V1 calls from BTN (covers), BB calls, UTG calls, V3 calls, 2 folds.

Flop ($62) Jd9d8h

Checks to H, who bets $25. V1 thinks for a moment and raises to $65. Folds back to Hero. Hero ??

Hand 1: fold, nothing good can happen here.

Hand 2: this is not a flop you want to bet into 4 other people. Check and evaluate. As played, you are blocking the nuts, but all sets and 2p are in villain's range is imagine. And even hands like flush draws have decent equity. And villain was willing to raise with 3 people behind. It's just hard to be very far ahead here, and villain is basically never folding to a jam. I'm tempted to just fold. But I wouldn't have bet the flop to begin with.

H1: Jam. V1 has wide range and is very likely trying to iso and win free monies
H2: you block Q10. v1 could have a set, or just a bare 10, or all sorts of J10, 910, 810 ranges, or even 2 diamonds. I think you are ahead of his range, so I jam.

Last edited:
One hand per thread works best. Should start with the preflop decisions even if t hey feel obvious

hand one. Hero is OOP vs a wide field. What is hero's plan if he flops ace high after putting $40 in the pot? Sounds yucky to me. Let's toss this hand in the muck as it is the bottom of hero;s UTG range.

hand two. Hero is playing vs the crazy but skilled lag. SPR ~3. Hero flops an overpair + gutshot. GO TO WAR, all-in. sure hero can be behind or get out drawn but villain has all sorts of draws in his range. Let's test our luck.

Doc's right we should talk about pre-flop decisions. You open UTG 6x with AQ off, but raise 12x (granted 2 limpers) with QQ. Small sample size to be sure, but make sure your bet sizes are consistent, so the villains who are paying attention (as young laggy likely is) don't see a bet sizing tell.

Doc's right we should talk about pre-flop decisions. You open UTG 6x with AQ off, but raise 12x (granted 2 limpers) with QQ. Small sample size to be sure, but make sure your bet sizes are consistent, so the villains who are paying attention (as young laggy likely is) don't see a bet sizing tell.
I don't disagree, but I will say this:

4-7bb would be my typical open in EP regardless of cards, since it is very hard to get folds pre at this table. Which is why I deliberately size my EP raises down, expecting 3bets often. Hand 1 had some interesting dynamics with a short stack all in and a deep fish coming along. V3 would definitely be capable of making plays here to either isolate SS or donate to her in hopes of winning a bigger pot for the other fish.

LP/vs limpers, I usually go bigger, 5-10bb +1 per limper. In this case, there's already $4.75 in the pot, so I'm at 7bb+5. Which would be in my typical spread. Anyone paying attention at this table knows my sizing is based more on position and opposition than holdings.

Lol, you most certainly are not in my OMC file. Okay I will now read the rest.
Hand 1.

If you were a real OMC, you would be folding AQo UTG, or at the very least, using a smaller open of like $1.50-$2 :).

Personally I like the open and I am planning to call the short stack all in if it gets back to me as hero.

Unfortunately with the button getting in the way. I think it's a fold.

Yes, the button may be a lag, so he's probably wider than QQ+, but he won't have a lot of air here either because he has to win a showdown against all in.

Unless I thought he was capable of making this play with a lot of k-hi or q-hi holdings, I just don't like AQ's chances even against a moderate range with no air in it.

On hand 2, this spot is so close for hero, my instinct is ship it because Kk and AA are unlikely holdings, and a lot of combo draws can call. Even if we ware against a straight or a set as hero, we have redraws.

Lol, you most certainly are not in my OMC file. Okay I will now read the rest.
I play a lot tighter and fit or fold at my game, just because it's so loose lol.

Maybe I should say "compared to the rest of the table" lolol

I guess to get in on the sizing discussion, I do think 6x is a lot under the gun, and it is important given I think the consensus is to pass on this hand. 4x probably does the same job and encouraged more inferior hands to come along.

That said, in this spot with a short stack yet to act, the larger sizing may serve to induce a wide shove.

I really don't have as much problem with the second open, there is a straddle on which more than doubles the dead money and several callers. Maybe 6-8 is a better sizinf, but I kind of like that it looks like a squeeze.

Hand One:

So HERO opens to 3x the straddle only to be jammed on by a short stack, then a cold caller, then the tough player makes it $40 from the button?

AQ goes into the muck 100% of the time here. Too many variables but unless the button is an idiot, he's always super strong here. I suspect he holds KK.

Hand Two:

Villain cold called a big preflop overbet from the button. Chances are he perceives HERO as the TAG that HERO is and reads HERO for a big hand. It seems like he'd normally 3-bet but he probably holds a speculative hand here.

It's hard to know what Villain's calling range vs his raising range is on this flop. What does this bet mean? HERO c-betted $25 into a $62 pot - a relatively smallish bet-sizing considering the PFR was 12x the straddle. Calling the $40 raise will leave HERO with ~$123 in his stack - significantly less than a pot-sized bet.

The case for calling is to wait for a safe turn card before committing HERO's stack - but what turn cards is HERO looking to fade? Jacks? A 3rd diamond? Most of the deck is 'safe'. Is HERO going to fold here if the turn is a blank and Villain sets him in?

I'd say probably not. So you may as well just rip it in and if you get coolered, reload.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom