Coffee Newbie, how do you guys make your coffee? (1 Viewer)

IMHO Pour Over V60s are the stone cold nuts. I treat myself by going out, but this is absolutey something you can do at home, and improve on while you go.

Video here:
I'm changing up my coffee, both the beans and my method and just got my v60 setup and fresh beans to give it a crack later this week.
Have a nice Barazzta Encore grinder and a small 4-cup cone coffee maker that served me well for years. With the #2 cone filters, I ground the coffee finer and it always turned out great- kinda like a pour over.

I had it in my office, but after changing jobs and becoming a consultant, I brought the coffeemaker home. I found myself grabbing something on client site, and started drinking less at home on the weekend, then got tired of grinding.

A few years ago, we went to Europe and ran into their version. I found I liked it, and kept thinking about it. I bought a Nespresso machine (Pixie?) in 2019 and haven’t looked back. I’d grab a lungo at breakfast, which held me over for a while at client site. Working from home, it’s been amazing: lungo with breakfast, lungo around 10am, and a shot after lunch around noon. Small, warm, cups that serve as nice breaks. And the machine was worked like a champ under all that use.

I find regular drip, even my prior favorite from Pete’s or Starbucks (Verona), doesn’t do it for me. I’ve really come to like the Nespresso version. Biggest issue: $ for convenience.

My wife still drinks drip. I grind it for her, but grind in bigger amounts. So we have two sets up.
Nespresso cost is gross.

Here we go!
20220706_175056.jpg
20220706_175059.jpg

Now I wait 14 hours.
20220706_182937.jpg

I'm in deep (you could run a small shop with our equipment) but I still enjoy Folgers at church. I'd say make the coffee that makes you happy, and don't spend a penny more. BUT... if you eventually dip your toe into the espresso world, you're going to find the importance of a good coffee grinder is > 5% of the equation. Way more.

24oz tumbler filled with ice. 10oz of water in keurig and a Starbucks Veranda blend K-cup. Pour over ice, add 2 packs of sweet n low and a splash of French vanilla creamer

While I don't have quite the lab that @CraigT78 does, I do okay with my morning brew. I will say, I am happy drinking his nitro brew.

I recently picked up a burr grinder (Niche) and use a Mokka pot, and a French press, as I have not afforded an espresso machine. The grinder and choice coffee has made a huge impact to the quality and taste of my morning.

Here is an in-depth look at my process:
I put filtered water in the kettle and set it on high on the stove.

Beans (16g) into the grinder with an espresso grind, but at the upper end of the grind settings (17ish) (larger espresso grind) because I use the Mokka pot and smaller particles will bleed through the 'filter'. dump the grinds into the basket of the Mokka pot and sit the basket into the top of the Mokka pot while the water boils.

I pre-warm all of my equipment, I run hot water into the French press, bottom of the Mokka pot, frothing pitcher, Turkish cezve, and coffee cups. Its at this time I also put a pot of water on the stove and boil water.

Once the Kettle says 'good morning', I dump out the warm water from the Mokka pot, and pour in the Kettle water, drop the basket into the bottom, spin on the top and toss it on the burner on high.

I dump the warm water out of the Turkish cezve, and fill it up with milk, that goes in the boiling pot of water, I turn the burner to med while the milk warms up. You don't want to 'break' the milk, by heating it too high, if it has an odor you should dump it and start over on the milk. You want it to be very warm, I use a spoon to drop it on my wrist for temp.

I dump the warm water out of the coffee cups and toss in a little sugar, just enough to balance the bitterness of the coffee, I like it to be neutral not sweet or bitter.

Once the Mokka pot has produced enough creama I pour (in a swirling method) over the sugar to melt it, only putting in about 1/4-1/3 a cup.

The milk is typically at temp, I pour the milk into the French press to froth it, and then into the milk pitcher, pour over the coffee - ta-da glorious Capuchino!

While this seems like a lot it's really not, most of the effort goes into milk prep, as I don't have a milk steamer. I have put this together over time using James Hoffman's educational videos, his tube channel is one of few that I would highly recommend.

Not the greatest of photos ☕

6F91475B-EC50-4F6A-AEA6-B4EE5180AC96.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to have a Starbucks Verismo, but it finally went kaput. It was good. I would make Lattes using a milk frother.

But then we bought a Nespresso with an actual steam wand. Wow, does that make the milk a lot frothier than the frother.

I used to drink my coffee black. And my expresso in just straight shots.... but in my old age, I like the froo froo coffee.

No time for all this nonsense. ;) Just Keurig k-cups for me.
I did that for a while, easy when you wake up but after a while, the taste caught up with me and it was a 'why bother' started to taste like swill. Ignorance is bliss but after you know, you can't go back

Last edited:
My daily drinker is easy:
  1. Put water on the (electric) kettle, heat to 195-205F depending on the roast level of my coffee.
  2. Weigh and grind my beans (coarse grind). I have a Rancilio Rocky, it does a good job but has it's quirks.
  3. Paper filter in a Clever Dripper, rinse with hot water, then add 1/3 water first, then coffee, then the rest of the water. Do it on a kitchen scale so you can weigh coffee and water accurately. (I generally use 30g coffee to 500g water.)
  4. Wait 2.5 minutes, stirring about halfway through to knock down some of the grounds that will float on top.
  5. Set the Clever Dripper on my mug and wait for it to drain.
This makes a flavorful, clean cup of coffee and takes less than ten minutes. A little longer than a Keurig, but the end result is worlds better.

No time for all this nonsense. ;) Just Keurig k-cups for me.
I’ve recently been marveling at what a luxury an espresso machine is, in terms of morning time. Even grinding by hand, I can have my drink ready to go in like 90 seconds. And I have no doubt it’s better (and cheaper) than anything coming out of a pod.

Start my morning with a shot of espresso or a cappuccino.

Then I brew a pot of pour over coffee using my kettle and chemex.

Finish the day with a glass of nitro cold brew from my tap.

Lay awake all night wondering why I can't sleep.

Rinse and repeat.

Lay awake all night wondering why I can't sleep.
I don't typically have much coffee late, but I wouldn't avoid it either, I do find I have issues with sleep. I've started taking low doses of magnesium and melatonin.

I wish I could get into all this but my wife worked for Dunkin’ corporate for almost 15 years and will only drink Dunkin’ coffee at this point.

Water here is prolly the hardest in the country so we have a reverse osmosis machine to give us fairly neutral tasting water and then it’s just your standard drip coffee maker.

Figured I’d share this in case anyone wants a more traditional simpler setup. Just ground coffee (she buys in bulk from CostCo but I’ll sneak in some unusual ground stuff if she’s out of the house for a few days).

We’ve had 3 of these - they last about 2 years before cleaning it regularly starts to have diminishing returns and I just get a new one. Maybe $50-60 on Amazon.

Keeps 14 cups warm for a few hours. We probably drink 20 cups a day between the two of us. Just skim milk.

That said, I love all types of coffee and drink it black out of the house. Richer and bolder the better. Sometimes I look at this machine and just sigh.

2291695A-343B-4088-A2A9-A301621BB72E.jpeg

While I don't have quite the lab that @CraigT78 does, I do okay with my morning brew. I will say, I am happy drinking his nitro brew.

I recently picked up a burr grinder (Niche) and use a Mokka pot, and a French press, as I have not afforded an espresso machine. The grinder and choice coffee has made a huge impact to the quality and taste of my morning.

Here is an in-depth look at my process:
I put filtered water in the kettle and set it on high on the stove.

Beans (16g) into the grinder with an espresso grind, but at the upper end of the grind settings (17ish) (larger espresso grind) because I use the Mokka pot and smaller particles will bleed through the 'filter'. dump the grinds into the basket of the Mokka pot and sit the basket into the top of the Mokka pot while the water boils.

I pre-warm all of my equipment, I run hot water into the French press, bottom of the Mokka pot, frothing pitcher, Turkish cezve, and coffee cups. Its at this time I also put a pot of water on the stove and boil water.

Once the Kettle says 'good morning', I dump out the warm water from the Mokka pot, and pour in the Kettle water, drop the basket into the bottom, spin on the top and toss it on the burner on high.

I dump the warm water out of the Turkish cezve, and fill it up with milk, that goes in the boiling pot of water, I turn the burner to med while the milk warms up. You don't want to 'break' the milk, by heating it too high, if it has an odor you should dump it and start over on the milk. You want it to be very warm, I use a spoon to drop it on my wrist for temp.

I dump the warm water out of the coffee cups and toss in a little sugar, just enough to balance the bitterness of the coffee, I like it to be neutral not sweet or bitter.

Once the Mokka pot has produced enough creama I pour (in a swirling method) over the sugar to melt it, only putting in about 1/4-1/3 a cup.

The milk is typically at temp, I pour the milk into the French press to froth it, and then into the milk pitcher, pour over the coffee - ta-da glorious Capuchino!

While this seems like a lot it's really not, most of the effort goes into milk prep, as I don't have a milk steamer. I have put this together over time using James Hoffman's educational videos, his tube channel is one of few that I would highly recommend.

Not the greatest of photos ☕

View attachment 1066025
This is quite the process. How long did it take to develop?

My daily drinker is easy:
  1. Put water on the (electric) kettle, heat to 195-205F depending on the roast level of my coffee.
  2. Weigh and grind my beans (coarse grind). I have a Rancilio Rocky, it does a good job but has it's quirks.
  3. Paper filter in a Clever Dripper, rinse with hot water, then add 1/3 water first, then coffee, then the rest of the water. Do it on a kitchen scale so you can weigh coffee and water accurately. (I generally use 30g coffee to 500g water.)
  4. Wait 2.5 minutes, stirring about halfway through to knock down some of the grounds that will float on top.
  5. Set the Clever Dripper on my mug and wait for it to drain.
This makes a flavorful, clean cup of coffee and takes less than ten minutes. A little longer than a Keurig, but the end result is worlds better.
Do you do any blooming?

I’ve moved into using a v60 which has its own process and I’ve been happy enough with it but I feel like changes I could make aren’t worth it.

As someone who doesn't drink coffee, I find this all fascinating. Never realized the rituals that you guys go through for a good cup of coffee.

This is quite the process. How long did it take to develop?

Do you do any blooming?

I’ve moved into using a v60 which has its own process and I’ve been happy enough with it but I feel like changes I could make aren’t worth it.
Well it all started back in ought 7.. in a YouTube hole I found where this kid James Hoffman won a thing called world barista championships. I’ve enjoyed Starbucks and trying all the different things.
Kcups got me started, then I moved to French press, and fumbling through it I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Well I found James had made a life of coffee and had great content, I’ve watch most of all of it, and found that I could do milk prep for cappuccino with a French press, and the best espresso short of spending 2-3k on an entry level espresso machine, with a mokka pot. From there it’s just been iterations. I was super surprised how much flavor change there was when I introduced the burr grinder and fresh coffee. Previously I would just do Starbucks coffee because they would grind it for me. When I hit a small range of balance in my morning coffee it makes for a great morning.

Do you do any blooming?
Not with the Clever Dripper. I used to, but I stopped.

In theory I might get a slightly better extraction if I bloomed, but empirically there's no perceptible difference in taste for me.

If I have a REALLY fresh roast I might bloom just to let it off-gas a bit, but that's uncommon.

Well it all started back in ought 7.. in a YouTube hole I found where this kid James Hoffman won a thing called world barista championships. I’ve enjoyed Starbucks and trying all the different things.
Kcups got me started, then I moved to French press, and fumbling through it I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Well I found James had made a life of coffee and had great content, I’ve watch most of all of it, and found that I could do milk prep for cappuccino with a French press, and the best espresso short of spending 2-3k on an entry level espresso machine, with a mokka pot. From there it’s just been iterations. I was super surprised how much flavor change there was when I introduced the burr grinder and fresh coffee. Previously I would just do Starbucks coffee because they would grind it for me. When I hit a small range of balance in my morning coffee it makes for a great morning.
I'm not sure where you get the $2-3k number

I'm not sure where you get the $2-3k number
Since you asked... So 2 things, 1) if I believe that espresso machines cost 2-3k I won't spend 500 that I shouldn't afford :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Leave me my dilutions, I'll likely spend it on cards or chips :cool

2) Being my mothers son, I can't buy a base model anything. I've got a truck on order; I'm a desk jockey, but I grew up in the country, my father's axiom is 'if you own a truck, you can always make money'. So my process isn't I'll get a maverick (the new el camino), isn't a ranger, sure F150s are nice but what I need is a superduty. Sure my last superduty was a 4x4 and I used it say 4 times in 5 years but listen, I might need it again! But if I do need it, I'm going to want the tremor package, and who's going to be roll'n around in a superduty that doesn't at least have the Lariat package? What am I? Some pleb degen gambler?

In the words of Lady gaga:
Don't hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself, and you're set
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

This is my coffee station.

PXL_20230126_185622824.jpg

Fell down the espresso rabbit hole over the pandemic and haven't looked back.

Typically, I do a 6oz flat white in the morning and occasionally an 8oz latte or mocha. Sometimes 2 a day if I'm not working or have a late call time.
Ended up getting a smart plug so I can schedule the machine to warm up before my alarm goes off which is great for early mornings. Usually like to let it heat up for 20-30 minutes before pulling a shot so the portafilter is up to temperature.

Still working on latte art. Somehow after almost two years I'm not much better than I was before. Occasionally I'll manage a rosette, but typically it looks about like this.

Thinking about adding a PID to my Silvia as the temperature surfing can be kind of frustrating when you butcher a shot in the morning because the temperatures was too high or too low. Just wrapped it in black and will be adjust the OPV valve soon as I think I'm currently getting around 11-12 bars of pressure instead of the optimal 9.5.

On work trips or holidays I've got an aeropress and a hand grinder that works great on the go. Still makes excellent coffee that is best black or with a bit of cream.

One day I'll hopefully move up to a Lelit Bianca or ECM Synchronika, but I don't really want to drop $5-6k on a new machine and grinder. One day, after I get some CPC Customs and my RRSP is in the right spot.

PXL_20230126_192748720.jpg

Thanks for this recommendation. I've fallen down this rabbit hole, but if you own a French Press, you owe it to yourself to try this.

I'm a convert.
I’ll try this soon. But just a question: isn’t this basically brewing the coffee for 9 minutes? I always heard that brewing for much longer than 4 minutes will make the coffee taste bad. What’s the science/magic behind this?

I’ll try this soon. But just a question: isn’t this basically brewing the coffee for 9 minutes? I always heard that brewing for much longer than 4 minutes will make the coffee taste bad. What’s the science/magic behind this?
I brew cold brew for 18 hours, it doesn't taste bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom