Coffee Newbie, how do you guys make your coffee? (1 Viewer)

I’m working towards that black, just because I found I was consuming way too much sugar. But so far I’m just finding it much easier to eliminate sugar from other parts of my diet, than from my coffee. The work continues . . .
I am at the point where I don’t even like sugar in coffee anymore…. Lol yuck

One day later I have a new burr grinder…
42499C87-02D8-4E9C-AB77-37AD1E8C1ECE.jpeg

This is how I make my French press coffee. Definitely a difference between the standard French press method and this one.
But, it’s a half-full pot… or 1 cup. Nope. I’m filling mine up, and plunging down. Even if I don’t go all of the way down, this seems … wrong

We bought a countertop grinder with a hopper that holds a pound of beans. I do 4g of coarse ground beans per pot. I let the water sit after it boils until there are no bubbles. Bloom the grounds for 30 seconds, and then pour over and 4 minutes

The hot water pot is essential as well. We currently have 3 presses.

53D5DCC0-F544-47B7-963D-E1A611BC6857.jpeg

Couple options. I mean easiest, any coffee you make tastes pretty good with flavored coffeemate from grocery store. For flavored coffee Keurig has some selections that are good. My little nespresso also takes some flavored pods from nespresso that are honestly kind of meh.

Or you can go Starbucks style and put coffee, milk, and flavored syrup in a cup and stir it. Nespresso espresso pods or an espresso machine are great but just regular drip coffee ain’t bad with milk and syrup

For all-in-1 machines Jura gets a +1 from me, very low maintenance, and very high quality

$20 grinder off eBay, $50 drip pot from wally world. Monthly subscription that brings 5lbs of delicious beans to our door from Death Wish, the cutest Barrista anywhere (@FordPickup92 ) who makes our coffee the night before... I drink room temp black coffee, happy camper!

Personally I want a gross oil slick on the coffee and just strong straight coffee flavor. I find the French press takes out the bitter/tartness of the coffee and I am trying to find a way to add more! Lol

I drink about 28ozs per day... because like chips I have an addictive personality. If I allowed myself I would drink a gallon plus. The rest of the day is non sweetened lipton tea also brewed a gallon at a time by that same magical barrista Ms. Brie... I'm spoiled y'all!

I miss making cold brew for the smooth flavor, now that its getting warmer I'll get back on that. I got a glass pitcher with steel filter on Amazon, ended up not getting enough water to flow through the steel and started using washable clothe bags for the grounds. Stir or shake it to get the water moving around a few times during the brew process.

Also love my Chemex for pour over, I swear it tastes better using their filters as opposed to a generic pour over I tried previously. Then I have the Breville Barista Express for shots!

we LOVE this machine

for me if im making just a cup for myself I'll use a pour over or Aeropress.

but for 2 cups this is perfect.

edit: forgot to add... we use 67.3grams at a medium grind. for this machines '8 cups'

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.07.23 PM.png

Last edited:
After a Colorado meet up I bought some coffee from Golden Colorado.

so now ive been buying my beans from them for the last 3 1/2 years.

Pangea Coffee Roasters.

5lb Brazil and 5Lb Brazil Decaf. every 2 or 3 months.

https://www.pangeacoffeeroasters.com/shop

used the chopper grinders for a while then we 'invested ' in a good grinder.

Now Using the VarioW. great machine. might be over kill for us as we only drink regular coffee , nothing fancy.

used the chopper grinders for a while then we 'invested ' in a good grinder.

Now Using the VarioW. great machine. might be over kill for us as we only drink regular coffee , nothing fancy.

Can this grind fine enough for espresso?

Farberware Percolator pot has been the go to for many generations in my household. It really makes a hell of a cup of coffee. I rotate between different brands of ground coffee. Colombian roast is my favorite.

I have a Technivorm Moccamaster but never use it because my wife makes me put it away off the counter everyday. I started using a French press and have been doing so for the last 2 1/2 years. Love it and much easier to clean. I uses a electric burr grinder set at course. 4-5 scoops and 200° water for 4 minutes. Costco has had some really great boutique type brands I’ve tried recently that are all great

I have a French press but mainly use it to just cold brew these days. I like to add a bit of vanilla extract, maple syrup and stevia to my cup, then top it off with plain almond milk.

4505405E-D484-425E-81A3-BD92DBE4E471.jpeg

Have a nice Barazzta Encore grinder and a small 4-cup cone coffee maker that served me well for years. With the #2 cone filters, I ground the coffee finer and it always turned out great- kinda like a pour over.

I had it in my office, but after changing jobs and becoming a consultant, I brought the coffeemaker home. I found myself grabbing something on client site, and started drinking less at home on the weekend, then got tired of grinding.

A few years ago, we went to Europe and ran into their version. I found I liked it, and kept thinking about it. I bought a Nespresso machine (Pixie?) in 2019 and haven’t looked back. I’d grab a lungo at breakfast, which held me over for a while at client site. Working from home, it’s been amazing: lungo with breakfast, lungo around 10am, and a shot after lunch around noon. Small, warm, cups that serve as nice breaks. And the machine was worked like a champ under all that use.

I find regular drip, even my prior favorite from Pete’s or Starbucks (Verona), doesn’t do it for me. I’ve really come to like the Nespresso version. Biggest issue: $ for convenience.

My wife still drinks drip. I grind it for her, but grind in bigger amounts. So we have two sets up.

Last edited:
IMHO Pour Over V60s are the stone cold nuts. I treat myself by going out, but this is absolutey something you can do at home, and improve on while you go.

Video here:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom